Tearing my hair out with Firestick issues (1 Viewer)

Apr 7, 2022
34390 Saint-Étienne-d'Albagnan, France
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
Sorry this is a bit of a long winded technical help, but I am sort of tearing my hair out with this one.
I am in France,
I have 2 firesticks both the same model, but individually setup,
using SmartDNS for location manipulation.
An ADSL Connection
Router reporting about 16mb/s down 850kb/s up

BBCSounds
50% of the time it comes up with an error 50004 something went wrong message.
Sometimes but rarely a retry might work, or Firestick restart, or a force stop, clear cache and restart the program might work.
When it is working i sometimes get buffering but it usualy recovers.

BBCiplayer.
Regualy get a 02050 error, something went wrong, especially when trying to play live tv, also it is a bit of pot luck when playing replay programs, sometimes they also show a 02050 error, yet i can pick a different episode of the same program and it plays without issue, as above sometimes a restart will clear the problem.
Sometimes I get buffering but usualy recovers, although occasionally it can crash out of the iplayer app all together, regularly if I let it run onto the next episode it fails and also comes up with the error 02050, something went wrong, finaly it doesn't appear to remember which programs I have watched anymore.

Itvx
Regularly crashes out of the episode at end of an advert break and forgets where it is, it often takes many attemps to restart and fast forward to the point you are watching before it will continue. Sometimes get buffering.

Sometimes when i havent been able to contunue a program we are watching, i have reverted to using the pc where it appears to play without problems (same network with SmartDNS)

C4
Works fine, no buffering, continues after add breaks, although I use it less as yet had no problems.

France.tv
Like C4 works fine, but this will be directed through different servers as it is here in france.

Youtube and various other audio streaming apps appear to work ok, possibly occasional buffering but not serious.

As i said above I have 2 firesticks both are as bad as each other, i have tried using Hotspot shield instead of SmartDNS, things are not exactly the same, but still very unreliable.

It all worked fine for many years using a firestick until about October/November last year, this also tied up with a lot of work being done in the area as part of the fiber upgrade, but any tests i have ever done on our connection never indicate any problem, and I could imagine this causing timeouts and buffering, but not most of the issues that i have.

I have also tried connecting the firestick using an ethernet adapter rather than WiFi but no noticeable improvement.

Recently I uninstalled the bbc and itvx apps and reinstalled them, after clearing all the cache and program settings, no change.

I am at a loss what could be causing the problems, any suggestions welcome.

OP
OP
W
Apr 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
Have you tried a UK SIM? Or a paid for VPN, although this can be a grey area.
You already know the problem is the geographic restriction.
Hi
Thanks for your reply but I have an adsl connection not mobile, also i normally use smartdns and have also tried hotspot shield, both paid for and smartdns has worked fine for me over the years and I have been in touch with them and they say that they are not experiencing any issues, it is also not a geographic issue otherwise it wouldn't work at all and give the standard you are outside the uk messages, it does work just unreliabley.

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Hi
Thanks for your reply but I have an adsl connection not mobile, also i normally use smartdns and have also tried hotspot shield, both paid for and smartdns has worked fine for me over the years and I have been in touch with them and they say that they are not experiencing any issues, it is also not a geographic issue otherwise it wouldn't work at all and give the standard you are outside the uk messages, it does work just unreliabley.
Even using my UK SIM in Spain I get connection errors as you have described above, but only on some devices have you tried the Iplayer connection on your phone?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
W
Apr 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
Even using my UK SIM in Spain I get connection errors as you have described above, but only on some devices have you tried the Iplayer connection on your phone?
It is something I have been planning to try, unfortunately becouse smartdns needs you to register your ip address you have to keep registering it, as every time the mobile network drops out even for a short time you get a new ip address. But that shouldn't be a problem with hotspot shield.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Hi
Sorry no idea if there's a more technical solution, but why not try runni g it off a local sim with a vpn and see if it resolves it?

Ours works very well, even in Morocco, the only issue we have is occasional deliberate geographic blocking. Bbc sounds, sky news and Netflix are not affected though.

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Where are u located?

Try a local streamed program and see if that works.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Done all of Europe from Portugal to Hungary. Just done a trip to New Zealand. Don't have any problem with english tv watched loads of footy matches in NZ along with all uk tv channels. I use nord vpn and iptv on my laptop. Hardly any buffering with a good wifi .

OP
OP
W
Apr 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
Where are u located?

Try a local streamed program and see if that works.
Local channels appear to work fine but oddly enough so does channel 4, the worst thing is that seems to be no rhyme or reason between when it works and doesn't.

You try something and you think great, thats better, a few hous later or the next day its as bad as before. Thats what is so frustrating.
Might you need one of these Engineer999? We have to power our FS from an external supply as the TV USB port isn’t beefy enough - looks like a handy solution to that problem.

Ian
I always use the original firestick psu. I have a large disk connected to the tv usb

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back