Swiss vignette and other clean air stickers. (1 Viewer)

Jun 7, 2019
Hull
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since November 2018
Hi all, we are planning our summer trip into Europe at the start of June.
I know we need certain stickers for various countries.
we are hoping to visit Holland, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Switzerland and France.
on the Swiss website for the vignette the sticker is for vehicles up to 3500t.
My van is rated at 3650t. Am I exempt from the charge or do I need a different sticker.?
Also the van is a 2021 and euro6 engine.
Do I need to pre apply for any stickers or can I buy them at the borders?
I have a toll tag for France as we went there last year but know nothing of tolls in the other countries we are passing through!
Any advice on any of these countries driving habits and tips would be massively appreciated, thank you.

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
I up-plated my van from 3.5 to 3.9.

I checked the regs carefully and they just require that the new plate be displayed in a prominent position. As the 3.5 plate is inside the drivers door frame, I’ve place the 3.9 one and the same place but on the other side of the van, inside the passenger door frame.

As Europe does not have instant access to the DVLA database, and with my very limited foreign language skills should I ever be stopped, Gendarmes (et al) will be pointed towards whichever side I think is relevant at the time..

OP
OP
R
Jun 7, 2019
Hull
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since November 2018
Thanks for that, so did you buy the Swiss vignette for vans up to 3500t ?

Bobbydaisy

Free Member
Oct 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV20
we are hoping to visit Holland, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Switzerland and France.
My van is rated at 3650t. Am I exempt from the charge or do I need a different sticker.?
I have a toll tag for France as we went there last year but know nothing of tolls in the other countries we are passing through!
Any advice on any of these countries driving habits and tips would be massively appreciated, thank you.
Here’s the clean air zones for Netherlands, we are going there again this year again never needed any sticker etc as we never go into these areas in the van and do not pass through any en route .

Bobbydaisy

Free Member
Oct 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV20
Found this app whilst looking at Belgium Clean air zones , we are going to Brussels and staying on site on outskirts hence may need sticker.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
A Swiss Vignette is not a Clean Air Sticker it is a Motorway charge like a Toll and you either buy a vignette if under 3500t either online or at the border or if over 3500 its a heavy vehicle charge PVSA.

You can buy a 10day PVSA pass at the border on on the app which is a lot easier https://www.bazg.admin.ch/bazg/en/h...-private/strassenabgaben-private/via-app.html

As your van is Euro 6 it would be the highest rating for the low emissions zones so would be able to go anyway there is a LEZ zone you just need to get a Crit Air Sticker (France), Umwelt (Germany).

Holland I believe its just central Amsterdam and Belgium is Antwerp which you register online and get an email confirmation but will you really go into the centre of those places ?

OP
OP
R
Jun 7, 2019
Hull
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since November 2018
Thanks for the advice it helps my planning hugely, especially the border app(y)

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
As above for Switzerland, download the Via app on your phone, I selected 10 individual days, which is valid for 12 months and costs 32.50 CHF, (7 days 25CHF) you nominate the days you need it in the app and you can transfer days left during year to another vehicle.

Bobbydaisy

Free Member
Oct 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV20
A Swiss Vignette is not a Clean Air Sticker it is a Motorway charge like a Toll and you either buy a vignette if under 3500t either online or at the border or if over 3500 its a heavy vehicle charge PVSA.

You can buy a 10day PVSA pass at the border on on the app which is a lot easier https://www.bazg.admin.ch/bazg/en/h...-private/strassenabgaben-private/via-app.html

As your van is Euro 6 it would be the highest rating for the low emissions zones so would be able to go anyway there is a LEZ zone you just need to get a Crit Air Sticker (France), Umwelt (Germany).

Holland I believe its just central Amsterdam and Belgium is Antwerp which you register online and get an email confirmation but will you really go into the centre of those places ?
Brussels is a zone also I believe, I think a part of the circular road falls into it , going from Germany to Brussels , staying on a site just outside but would rather get a sticker than be sorry.😉

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
As above for Switzerland, download the Via app on your phone, I selected 10 individual days, which is valid for 12 months and costs 32.50 CHF, (7 days 25CHF) you nominate the days you need it in the app and you can transfer days left during year to another vehicle.
Double check if you need to use a day even if you are not on the road.

When we were there 5 (?) years ago you had to use a day even if you were parked up for the day and not on the road but that may have changed now.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Ghent too but you cannot get the Antwerp one at the moment. All 3 Belgium ones are registrations, not stickers, and they’re free. Easy to find online.

Mar 9, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Dakota ’14
Exp
We used the Swiss VIA app and just bought 10 days, just remember to go into the app and say you are there for the day. If they stop you they check if you have activated the day.
Austria is a different story for over 3.5T. I believe you need to Prove your `euro rating in order to get the toll tag. Your v5 does not work because out does not usually show the emissions so you need a certificate of conformity of some sort. Without that it seems very difficult to get the tag, I gave up as we were spur of the moment so at least you have the chance to plan by the sounds of it. Good luck.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Double check if you need to use a day even if you are not on the road.

When we were there 5 (?) years ago you had to use a day even if you were parked up for the day and not on the road but that may have changed now.

Assuming it’s the same for a visitor then yes you pay for each day present in CH for +3.5t.

The good news is for us residents is that we can claim back road tax for those days when we are outside of country, all 180 days of them😉

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
We used the Swiss VIA app and just bought 10 days, just remember to go into the app and say you are there for the day. If they stop you they check if you have activated the day.
Austria is a different story for over 3.5T. I believe you need to Prove your `euro rating in order to get the toll tag. Your v5 does not work because out does not usually show the emissions so you need a certificate of conformity of some sort. Without that it seems very difficult to get the tag, I gave up as we were spur of the moment so at least you have the chance to plan by the sounds of it. Good luck.
Yes, we also use the VIA App, Brilliant. Unlike that stupid Austrian System.
06AEA373-22D7-4451-B051-4B41A4F1EC26.png

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

I found your post confusing. Maybe it was the terminology.

Re Austria you were talking about >3.5t and then used the word 'tag' which I assumed meant a vignette/sticker for the windscreen not the 'GO' box.

I agree many, particularly older, V5c do not show emissions info. AFAIK that is not a bar to getting a GO box - it is just that, without proof of a low emissions rating, one is rated at the worst level and pays accordingly. We entered in 2021 and we are Euro 3(worst rating), got the GO box and paid accordingly.

You said you 'gave up', so did you enter without a GO box, or avoided Austria?

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
I’ve just downloaded the Via App But I can’t register a vehicle or any other details for under 3.5t Motorhome. Can’t buy a ticket etc. Can anyone explain

it looks like it may only be for buying the tax for over 3.5t not buying an electronic vignette?

Bobbydaisy

Free Member
Oct 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV20
Ghent too but you cannot get the Antwerp one at the moment. All 3 Belgium ones are registrations, not stickers, and they’re free. Easy to find online.
Yeah , got to grips with Belgium., I think , Germany sorted , Netherlands seems ok , Luxembourg hmm , doesn’t seem to have any ???? Zones ??? Just thought Glasgow to Hull for ferry 😲…..

Mar 9, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Dakota ’14
Exp
I found your post confusing. Maybe it was the terminology.

Re Austria you were talking about >3.5t and then used the word 'tag' which I assumed meant a vignette/sticker for the windscreen not the 'GO' box.

I agree many, particularly older, V5c do not show emissions info. AFAIK that is not a bar to getting a GO box - it is just that, without proof of a low emissions rating, one is rated at the worst level and pays accordingly. We entered in 2021 and we are Euro 3(worst rating), got the GO box and paid accordingly.

You said you 'gave up', so did you enter without a GO box, or avoided Austria?
Sorry for the confusion.
I was referring to the toll tag or GO Box as I now recall it is named in Austria, thanks.
We avoided Austria that time as it was all an off the cuff move anyway but wondered why they made it so difficult,
My understanding at the time was the difference between paying full price as you did and what we should pay was hoping to be considerable but that is just heresay of course, I don’t have any actual figures.

Brody

Free Member
Jul 11, 2022
South Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax Solaris XL
Exp
Back motorhoming after a 6ish year break!
I'm getting myself confused with all these sticker things 😂

France - Crit air, which I've done

Germany - Emissions sticker?

Do I need anything else for Belgium/Luxembourg?

Thanks

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I up-plated my van from 3.5 to 3.9.

I checked the regs carefully and they just require that the new plate be displayed in a prominent position. As the 3.5 plate is inside the drivers door frame, I’ve place the 3.9 one and the same place but on the other side of the van, inside the passenger door frame.

As Europe does not have instant access to the DVLA database, and with my very limited foreign language skills should I ever be stopped, Gendarmes (et al) will be pointed towards whichever side I think is relevant at the time..

Did you keep a copy of your original V5 as well ? Ours may be on the phone for ease of access for them.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09

Thanks
Only if youre going into Brussels, we have passed Brussels several times and never had one. No intention of going into Brussels either.
Luxembourg is free (to the best of my knowledge)
Germany essential in my view as they come at you when least expecting it
France, I wouldnt bother as never needed it in 10 years, unless going into Grenoble Lyons or Paris (other cities may have been added)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012

Thanks

Just a good sense of humor when enjoying Belgian traffic 🤣

Bobbydaisy

Free Member
Oct 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV20
Only if youre going into Brussels, we have passed Brussels several times and never had one. No intention of going into Brussels either.
Luxembourg is free (to the best of my knowledge)
Germany essential in my view as they come at you when least expecting it
France, I wouldnt bother as never needed it in 10 years, unless going into Grenoble Lyons or Paris (other cities may have been added)
Agree with that , doing Netherlands, Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium this year , we might get the Brussels one though as we are going from Germany to a camp site on the outskirts North of Brussels and can see part of the ring road around Brussels falls into the required area , be sure to check your routes.

Oct 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift bessacarr
Hi Guys, sorry to reopen this thread, and I'm sorry if it's already been answered and I've missed it. But can I ask, is the psva charge for >3500kg motorhomes (switzerland), on top of the vignette or is the psva all you need for heavier vehicles? Thanks guys 👍

Oct 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift bessacarr
Brilliant. Thanks for that. I'm not going for a couple months yet, but just trying to find out as much as I can now. I'll have a look at the app. 👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back