Free Member
Jun 27, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Hi All

Just after some advice and opinions.
I've had the joys of driving and spending time in the Scandinavian countries, but never as a tourist, I've always wanted to go back and spend some time there, especially Norway and Sweden.
There are 2 particular sights I'd like to see, and that's the Northern Lights and Nordkapp.
The plan is to do this next year in September. Starting from Dunkerque heading up and into Sweden, crossing into Northern Norway and onto Nordkapp, then come back south through Norway and home.
We will only have a maximum 3 weeks to do this in (yes I know, that's not a lot of time).

I'm after recommendations for places to stay, and sights that we can stop off on route, there and back, or any other advice.

Many thanks

Mick

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Good luck for your trip.

We drove up through Sweden and back down Norway August/September this year and it's a lot of driving! It's not just the distance it's the slow roads and all the ferry crossings/tunnels/bridges that you HAVE to do to come south from the top of Norway. Saying that there is some beautiful scenery (if it's not raining!).

Take your own booze (if you like a tipple) drinking out is not an option (for us anyway).

I did a thread, including the Scandinavian section and so did Jenben when they visited earlier in the year, as well as David's thread.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Morning, you really need to adjust the route or find more time. We only went as far north as Narvik and Lofotens which we took a fairly leisurely 2 weeks to get to a week there but then drove home which back to Derbyshire via Calais was nearly 2500 miles you are talking about nearly 1000 further north.

IMO it is simply not doable in 3 weeks you would have to drive over 250 miles every single day and as Judith says above average speed will be lower than you predict, 50 limit everywhere in Norway, you will doing well to average 40

Although Nordkapp makes a tick in a destination box although we haven’t been ourselves from our research the scenery doesn’t change enough to justify the extra miles

We have since going been told about an island just north of Narvik that sounds as good and possibly better than Lofotens can’t recall the name right now will look it up later

edit - the island I referred to above is Senja (y)

plus also now seen you are at least starting from Kent so a good few less miles than us, but still a round trip without any slight distractions of 5000+ to Nordkapp and back and you are bound to add more miles

Last edited:

Deleted User
I went to Nordkapp and back 4 years ago in 17 days, not recommending it for you just stating that it can be done. It was, however, not a holiday, it was a road trip, something I had always wanted to do. Driving was a minimum of 250 miles and up to 500 per day. I went up via Geirangerfjord, trolls road, Atlantic road on the west coast, the Maelstrom near Bodo and back via Sweden. For me going all the way there (rather than say to Narvik and turning back) was important a bit like going 3/4 up Ben Nevis and then turning back because the scenery isn't so good higher up the mountain you want to know you've walked to the top. The road from Narvik to Alta is the best road I have ever driven, every corner is more dramatic than the last. My only regret is that I did not have enough time to walk the Knivskjellodden trail so I am going back in 2018 just to do that whilst still fit enough (still only in my 60's, however, these things don't get any easier). For me it was a one of life's milestones, an event I look back on time and time again and never once regretted the near 6000 miles. Even with your 21 days you will need to be doing 250 or more miles per day so it will be a road trip for you as well, as opposed to a holiday, however, it all unfolds in front of you, your cab window becomes the holiday, you wont regret it either.

OP
OP
Micky 2 Bel's

Micky 2 Bel's

Free Member
Jun 27, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Thanks for everything that's been shared, as I said in the original post, 3 weeks is not a lot of time and as Reliant said, it will be more of a road trip than a holiday.
I've looked at adjusting my routes and making use of the ferries, Harwich to Hook of Holland and Kiel to Gothenburg, it bumps the price up but not to bothered about that. But on reflection and discussing it more with the wife, we both feel we would like to spend a lot longer touring Sweden and Norway and not driving through passing everything by.
So on that note it looks like this one will have to be saved until retirement, where we can take a couple of months to get around and have a good look, and also that way I will also be able to do some decent cod fishing as well...:D(y)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Wow, it sounds like my worst nightmare, at least 250 miles per day, but then we both work and Get 5 to 6 weeks off per year. Dump the van on a nice site for a week with nice cycling, dog walks and plenty of booze at hand, that's our way:ROFLMAO:

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
I'm planning a similar trip (see Scandinavian Frolic) in April/May, but I've worked out that 7-8 weeks is required.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We did at trip this year staring April 23rd right to the top of Sweden using the E45 inlandvagen (a brilliantt route for sights and wildlife) via Denmark and across into Finland and back down Baltic coast of Sweden it took 13 weeks and 6000 miles best trip ever. Don’t miss Hammerdal there’s a site there run by some brits it’s called route45 you can even see Bears there

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back