Struggling to get Insurance (1 Viewer)

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Thanks everyone. Appreciate the responses. NFU have come up with a good quote, but does not include breakdown for vans over 6.5m. At least that gives us scope to shop around for breakdown.
Have a look at Nationwide Flex plus account. £13 per month (£156 a year) will get you AA cover for your van ( up to 8m and 7.5 ton) in UK and Europe....and for any other vehicles you drive, plus worldwide travel insurance for you and your family.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
NFU were looking at a £100K cap. NFU Whittlesey are good for MH and RV but not sure if ceiling implemented yet.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
NFU were looking at a £100K cap. NFU Whittlesey are good for MH and RV but not sure if ceiling implemented yet.
That would be a blow to a lot of owners but assume it would propably only apply to new customers. Does seem low, £100k is only just above budge territory these days.

Mar 12, 2021
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
carthago e line 64xl
Exp
I have a carthago with nfu 175k will only insure it because we have a lot of other business with them no fully comp in Bosnia or Croatia . They tell me vans over 100k are being looked at as new business only if you have other insurance.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I have a carthago with nfu 175k will only insure it because we have a lot of other business with them no fully comp in Bosnia or Croatia . They tell me vans over 100k are being looked at as new business only if you have other insurance.
That may depend on the broker. Some brokers have been saying similar things for a while.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
That would be a blow to a lot of owners but assume it would propably only apply to new customers. Does seem low, £100k is only just above budge territory these days.
My contact Craig wasn't happy with it either. He offers great service too. I can ping him a registration and he will fire back an approximate figure. So useful as I often get asked to source cars for friends.

Apr 30, 2020
Hartpury, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 796
Exp
Have a look at Nationwide Flex plus account. £13 per month (£156 a year) will get you AA cover for your van ( up to 8m and 7.5 ton) in UK and Europe....and for any other vehicles you drive, plus worldwide travel insurance for you and your family.
Will keep that in mind for next year insurance. Wanted to go with NFU but didn’t offer the recovery on M/H and left it too late to sort it out.

Have to say that NFU have been a country mile better to deal with than any other insurer. Currently only have a tractor with them and when we had an issue with a stolen vehicle balls up by DVLA, NFU were superb. Empathetic even. And no additional charges even though the paperwork had to be updated twice.

So impressed we were that NFU are visiting us this summer to prepare complete insurance cover for our homes and vehicles for next renewal.

Aug 7, 2015
Highlands
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 784
Tried getting insurance with them from the Elgin office and they were not interested. Would have given a quote if we were already customers.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Will keep that in mind for next year insurance. Wanted to go with NFU but didn’t offer the recovery on M/H and left it too late to sort it out.

Have to say that NFU have been a country mile better to deal with than any other insurer. Currently only have a tractor with them and when we had an issue with a stolen vehicle balls up by DVLA, NFU were superb. Empathetic even. And no additional charges even though the paperwork had to be updated twice.

So impressed we were that NFU are visiting us this summer to prepare complete insurance cover for our homes and vehicles for next renewal.

Tried getting insurance with them from the Elgin office and they were not interested. Would have given a quote if we were already customers.
That just proves the point that some NFU offices are not interested but if you call one that is they will look after you very well.

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
We went with Caravan Guard for our new Adria 640SLB. Just over £700, to insure it for £90k. They gave us 28 days to get an alarm/tracker fitted. I managed to get booked in at Vanbitz about a week after we took delivery. CG will also give you 14 days free drive away insurance.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
So today, i tried to get to grips with this. In the vague hope that i might change my motorhome in the near future or next 24 hours to something worth say about 120k, just in case that were to happen..

Ive done the groundwork so you dont have to Sandra.

So Safeguard who im currently insured with on a van thats disappeared from my drive said that they the current company im with will not insure me so i would have to cancel and start again.

The quote they came up with, full uk and European breakdown cover, £1239.
I was paying £722

So I rang NFU who quoted me £807 however should said motorhome break down, i would need to push the motorhome home.

I then thought about trying to buy breakdown insurance as a seperate entity. This was coming up in the 300 pound plus mark.

Therefore, if I were to wake up and find a new motorhome on my drive in the morning then i would probably stay with safeguard. Mainly because when i had to use them when my carthago caught fire, they were really good and helpful.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
So today, i tried to get to grips with this. In the vague hope that i might change my motorhome in the near future or next 24 hours to something worth say about 120k, just in case that were to happen..

Ive done the groundwork so you dont have to Sandra.

So Safeguard who im currently insured with on a van thats disappeared from my drive said that they the current company im with will not insure me so i would have to cancel and start again.

The quote they came up with, full uk and European breakdown cover, £1239.
I was paying £722

So I rang NFU who quoted me £807 however should said motorhome break down, i would need to push the motorhome home.

I then thought about trying to buy breakdown insurance as a seperate entity. This was coming up in the 300 pound plus mark.

Therefore, if I were to wake up and find a new motorhome on my drive in the morning then i would probably stay with safeguard. Mainly because when i had to use them when my carthago caught fire, they were really good and helpful.
Breakdown shouldn't be that high. Mayday personal cover for UK is half that

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Breakdown shouldn't be that high. Mayday personal cover for UK is half that
Depends on the size of your vehicle, how many miles you do and where you want to go.
Tried
Red Pennant
AA
Green flag
Rac

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
used to only cover Balkans 3rd party, not sure where they are now with it being in Schengen.
Renewed with NFU last October and asked about Croatia now they are in the Schengen and computer stills says no☹️☹️ I took a chance few years back and drove into Croatia for about 10 days but was hoping that they would change it.
Possibly 6 months on things might have changed🤔🤔

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
They tell me vans over 100k are being looked at as new business only if you have other insurance.
How long ago was this? I renewed in October and before that cancelled all my rentals policy’s as I have sold them all and they never asked anything Van policy just went up a few quid and my van is worth a fair bit more than £100k🤔🤔

Mar 12, 2021
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
carthago e line 64xl
Exp
How long ago was this? I renewed in October and before that cancelled all my rentals policy’s as I have sold them all and they never asked anything Van policy just went up a few quid and my van is worth a fair bit more than £100k🤔🤔
It was in the last 2 weeks but mainly for new business that they are looking at

May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
I got a price yesterday from safeguard for a perspective motorhome and had no trouble getting a quote although it was 1074 which i thought was ok for a 140k van? Especially when ive had a complete loss due to fire and 2 old biddies drive in to me.
Included breakdown cover too.
Are you changing van again ? You have a faster turnaround than me!

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Depends on the size of your vehicle, how many miles you do and where you want to go.
Tried
Red Pennant
AA
Green flag
Rac
Try LV. We now have Motorhome European cover, my car European cover and personal cover for any vehicle Me and Kevin are in. Cost £229. Also being a boundless member got a discount. If you only want 1 vehicle European cover it's a lot less.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
A Nationwide flex plus account will give you the breakdown cover £13/month £156/year.
We’re like you Lenny and have the very good health cover with Lloyds. I get confused each time I look at Nationwide for breakdown, will the new company regs mean that stays longer than 31 days not be covered or is the breakdown completely separate so long stays and repeat stays are covered fine? Or will you have to pay extra? Thanks.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We’re like you Lenny and have the very good health cover with Lloyds. I get confused each time I look at Nationwide for breakdown, will the new company regs mean that stays longer than 31 days not be covered or is the breakdown completely separate so long stays and repeat stays are covered fine? Or will you have to pay extra? Thanks.
Breakdown is separate from the Travel insurance.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Try LV. We now have Motorhome European cover, my car European cover and personal cover for any vehicle Me and Kevin are in. Cost £229. Also being a boundless member got a discount. If you only want 1 vehicle European cover it's a lot less.
That is who I am with but through Safeguard.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back