Stove top pressure cookers (2 Viewers)

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Does anyone cook pasta or rice in the pressure cooker?

You can but it only makes sense when your doing Brown rice as that normally takes about 40mins
Most of the time I just use a saucepan for white rice BUT the last time I used the PC (many moons ago for rice) I put the usual 2water x 1rice, brought it to the boil, put on the lid turned off the heat and left it for 15mins. while I made the tea.
Removed the lid and as expected, the rice had absorbed the water and served.

PS, I normally dissolve a stock cube in the water to give the rice flavour and sometimes add veg like celery, pea's etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
You can but it only makes sense when your doing Brown rice as that normally takes about 40mins
Most of the time I just use a saucepan for white rice BUT the last time I used the PC (many moons ago for rice) I put the usual 2water x 1rice, brought it to the boil, put on the lid turned off the heat and left it for 15mins. while I made the tea.
Removed the lid and as expected, the rice had absorbed the water and served.

PS, I normally dissolve a stock cube in the water to give the rice flavour and sometimes add veg like celery, pea's etc.
I will try wild / brown rice in a PC as I really like it but not the 40 mins cooking time.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I will try wild / brown rice in a PC as I really like it but not the 40 mins cooking time.

Sorry, worded that badly. It takes 40mins in a saucepan not PC. PC is about 15 once up to pressure but check online videos.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Sorry, worded that badly. It takes 40mins in a saucepan not PC. PC is about 15 once up to pressure but check online videos.
Thanks. I wasn't sure about the time. Wild rice is so much nicer than white but it takes so long normally.

Pusscat

Free Member
Jun 16, 2019
Devon UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 320
Exp
Since 2015
I always cook my brown rice in the pressure cooker. Bring upto full pressure, time 10 mins then cool under running warm water. Rinse and perfect!

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I'm going to try turkey in the pressure cooker next weekend and will do brown or wild rice while the bird is resting.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
An update on the cooking front ...

I cooked some lamb in the pressure cooker with Caribbean hot or Indian spice mix and added some pressure cooked pinto beans or carab eye beans and in the last 3 mins, added dal ... it was delicious. The beans helped increase the quantity of food quite cheaply whilst retaining the flavour etc of the lamb.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
No sorry, it's a bomb to me too. No way will I use a pressure cooker:X3:

Gina.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
No sorry, it's a bomb to me too. No way will I use a pressure cooker:X3:

Gina.
You could cook the same types of food in a normal saucepan but just take longer. The beans were an addition that I'd use again and again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
We use a pressure cooker at least once a week.

(Simple broiled chicked with vegetables takes a total of 30 minutes from start-up to ready and makes the superb stock with which to cook our rice - bomba/paella variety which absorbs all of the flavours.)

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
You could cook the same types of food in a normal saucepan but just take longer. The beans were an addition that I'd use again and again.
To be honest I am back to using low wattage Remoska and slow cooker at the moment, I used up a load of sad looking spuds today just kept layering sliced spuds, sliced onions and anchovies' fillets and poured over a large carton of cream with the olive oil from the fillets mixed in, cooked for just over an hour in the Remoska, lovely(y)

Gina.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
My dear old Mum Cooked everything in an old style pressure cooker, the ones where the lid fitted into the top and then was secured with (I can only describe it as) a strong back that was screwed up to tighten/secure lid.
Well my dad was a marine engineer, served thru the war on various steam ships,,,, Would he go anywhere near the kitchen when Mum had her pressure Cooker out... Bejesus NO.. he wuz shit scared of that contraption.
Said he never knew how she had not blown herself, and the rest of us to smithereens.
PS it's still in our kitchen cupboard.. 😇😇😇

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You don't want to know how many I have! :giggle:

The ones we use are an old prestige with a brown coloured weight which you twist sideways to release the pressure, about 6 litres capacity I think, we also have one (think it's called something like Marmicook) which we bought in Spain that has a 3L and 6L base so we can use the most suitable one depending on what's being cooked, we shouldn't have needed to buy it but unfortunately before we'd gone away hubby decided to replace the existing old 5L one in the MH with a new, virtually identical one, but it wouldn't work at which point we discovered he'd actually put the lid from the new one and the base from the old one in and as they weren't a perfect match it didn't form a tight seal so it wouldn't pressurise. :rolleyes:

We did buy another one when we were away in Scotland this year ... it was sooooooooooooooooo cute! :giggle: Seriously though, we don't cook large items in the MH now, just a small gammon joint, veg, spuds etc but of course the larger the pressure cooker the more gas it takes to get it up to pressure so when we saw a new lovely little 3L one for £8 in a charity shop it was ideal for us and has proved to be as good as we thought it would be, it takes so little time to pressurise that we must be saving a fair bit on gas as we have hardly had to top up and being narrower we can still get the frying pan on the hob too. We've also got an Eco-Pot which we use a lot for cooking spuds, large joints of meat etc, we just stick the food in the stainless steel inner pan, fill with water to the 80% mark, put on the lid and bring to the boil on the hob then simmer for the required time (usually 8-15 mins), put the pan into the insulated outer pot, close the lid and leave for 3 hours (or longer if we're not ready to eat then) with no further heating required.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
You don't want to know how many I have! :giggle:

The ones we use are an old prestige with a brown coloured weight which you twist sideways to release the pressure, about 6 litres capacity I think, we also have one (think it's called something like Marmicook) which we bought in Spain that has a 3L and 6L base so we can use the most suitable one depending on what's being cooked, we shouldn't have needed to buy it but unfortunately before we'd gone away hubby decided to replace the existing old 5L one in the MH with a new, virtually identical one, but it wouldn't work at which point we discovered he'd actually put the lid from the new one and the base from the old one in and as they weren't a perfect match it didn't form a tight seal so it wouldn't pressurise. :rolleyes:

We did buy another one when we were away in Scotland this year ... it was sooooooooooooooooo cute! :giggle: Seriously though, we don't cook large items in the MH now, just a small gammon joint, veg, spuds etc but of course the larger the pressure cooker the more gas it takes to get it up to pressure so when we saw a new lovely little 3L one for £8 in a charity shop it was ideal for us and has proved to be as good as we thought it would be, it takes so little time to pressurise that we must be saving a fair bit on gas as we have hardly had to top up and being narrower we can still get the frying pan on the hob too. We've also got an Eco-Pot which we use a lot for cooking spuds, large joints of meat etc, we just stick the food in the stainless steel inner pan, fill with water to the 80% mark, put on the lid and bring to the boil on the hob then simmer for the required time (usually 8-15 mins), put the pan into the insulated outer pot, close the lid and leave for 3 hours (or longer if we're not ready to eat then) with no further heating required.

If you get your pressure cooker up to required pressure, take off heat and wrap it in an old good sleeping bag, you can get the same result as the Eco-pot. 🤔
Similar principals as the old hay ovens.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
My dear old Mum Cooked everything in an old style pressure cooker, the ones where the lid fitted into the top and then was secured with (I can only describe it as) a strong back that was screwed up to tighten/secure lid.
Well my dad was a marine engineer, served thru the war on various steam ships,,,, Would he go anywhere near the kitchen when Mum had her pressure Cooker out... Bejesus NO.. he wuz shit scared of that contraption.
Said he never knew how she had not blown herself, and the rest of us to smithereens.
PS it's still in our kitchen cupboard.. 😇😇😇
I still say bomb waiting to go off, God bless you mum I still miss you and that certain pressure cooker:ROFLMAO:

Gina.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you get your pressure cooker up to required pressure, take off heat and wrap it in an old good sleeping bag, you can get the same result as the Eco-pot. 🤔
Yes and no, a pressure cooker looses pressure over time whereas the Eco-Pot is 'sealed' so the heat rises to cook the food and it stays hot for up to 6 hours, the pressure cooker couldn't do that.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
I keep trying to make out on here that I am so rock and roll. Laughing at crude jokes etc. Truth is I am a nerd I am sitting here in bed now reading a book on fresh salads and catching up on pressure cooker recipes. How sad is that :ROFLMAO:

Gina.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I keep trying to make out on here that I am so rock and roll. Laughing at crude jokes etc. Truth is I am a nerd I am sitting here in bed now reading a book on fresh salads and catching up on pressure cooker recipes. How sad is that :ROFLMAO:

Gina.
Just in case you don't know, you don't cook salad in a pressure cooker! :giggle:

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Just reading up on a load of raw salads so leave me alone please, pressure cookers not involved:ROFLMAO: oh no I have done it again, I am drifting!! someone block me for good from this site. (I know who would be the first to do it!!)

Gina.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
like my brother said to me tonight Stop pretending. You are a nerd; you are my nerd and I love you and take down that stupid picture of you in glasses you only wear them occasionally:giggle: And where is my pressure cooker again :ROFLMAO:

Gina.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I'm planning to use my pressure cooker combined with a Wonder bag... Get a he cooker up to pressure (5mins or so) and then into the bag 10 mins, before another blast of heat and back in the bag. It will take some experimenting but I reckon it could cut the gas used by 75% for a meal that is already considerably less demanding in power than compared to using saucepans and the oven.

Sep 13, 2017
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Rapido Fiat MWB
I use my pressure cooker several times a week. I have two, a smaller one bought from Lakeland about 5 years ago that’s perfect for 2 we always take it with us in the van. A larger one I’ve had for years I use for making larger amounts of stew etc. The small pressure cooker and a Remoska are always part of our equipment in the van.

Paul_M

Free Member
Aug 31, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
I had to buy an electric one because, before they were available, I told everyone there was a business opportunity to make one. The obvious advantage is you don't need to wait around to turn it down, it will look after itself (and should thus be safer). The big draw for MH use (be it gas or electric) is the energy efficiency;plus the fact some electric ones multitask as slow cookers. They do still suffer from the drawback of needing good seals, which inevitably wear, so a brand with a good chance of replacements in the future seems a wise investment.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I had to buy an electric one because, before they were available, I told everyone there was a business opportunity to make one. The obvious advantage is you don't need to wait around to turn it down, it will look after itself (and should thus be safer). The big draw for MH use (be it gas or electric) is the energy efficiency;plus the fact some electric ones multitask as slow cookers. They do still suffer from the drawback of needing good seals, which inevitably wear, so a brand with a good chance of replacements in the future seems a wise investment.
I like the idea of the Ninja type ones but I don't have the counter top space for one. I've been so impressed with the stove top version that I don't think I could justify a bigger electric one now....

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt C Class
Exp
Since 2015
I’ve got the small (3L) Instant Pot pressure cooker (a bit pricey but good) AND the small Instant Pot Air Fryer (£40 from Dyas) - both are magic, quick and use little electricity. Chips and chicken drumsticks in the air fryer are the best!!!!!! Love al fresco cooking whilst away in the MH and also use a Cadac BBQ and a very light Tepanyaki. With care, all can be used in an awning - but not at the same time.😀😀

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I've been using a stove top (traditional type) pressure cooker recently to cook soups, stews etc. We have just cooked a whole chicken in it and it took approx. 35 mins - 5 mins to give it a bit of browning, 20 mins to cook (but this would be reduced to 17 next time) and 10 mins to naturally pressure release. It was really tasty (with lemon, paprika, garlic, caynne pepper, chicken stock, salt and lots of black pepper). It seems like an ideal way to cook a chicken while saving energy. Has anyone else done this?
My mum had one 50 years ago I had it for 30 years my sone has it now.
God knows how many meals it has made over the years.
Bill

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
My mum had one 50 years ago I had it for 30 years my sone has it now.
God knows how many meals it has made over the years.
Bill
Love your new avatar. I love Paddington and always watch the movies when they are on the TV :giggle:(y)HM was so nice to him when he called round for tea :smiley:

Gina.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
With the old pressure cooker it comes up to heet once the waight starts to lift tur down to minimum no hissing farting
Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back