Still waiting to collect my new van and I'm at my wit's end (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 28, 2021
Oxford, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Kingham
Exp
I'm a newbie
Last week I wrote a forum post about how I had been waiting three weeks to get my brand new van after paying all the money for it.

I'm still waiting.

I called Marquis last week and they said they said they were still waiting for the V55 registration documents from the DVLA. I had asked them if they could deliver the vehicle to me on trade plates so that it was at least on my drive, but was told they are not allowed to release it until they have those documents.

So we are now approaching the fifth week where I have handed over £78,000 and I still have no van - nor any indication of when I might actually be able to pick it up.

I'm frustrated and getting increasingly annoyed. Do I have any options other than to just sit and wait?

OP
OP
SirPooley
Aug 28, 2021
Oxford, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Kingham
Exp
I'm a newbie
Have they sent you proof of their application? Proof of posting and proof of receipt at DVLA? That’s what my dealer did when I was waiting.
Hope you get it soon.
They haven't but I do trust them, even if that makes me naïve. I sat with the sales guy as he went through the application after I chose my number plate.

Upvote 0
May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
I would tell the dealer, that as it's now your van, and they will not allow it to be moved, you have every right to move into it where it stands.
Spending a couple of nights in it at the dealers just might make them speed things up a bit.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I had asked them if they could deliver the vehicle to me on trade plates so that it was at least on my drive, but was told they are not allowed to release it until they have those documents.
That's BS you have paid for it so it's yours if you choose to you could drive it home unregistered.
You should never pay for a van until you collect it, what happens if they go bust tomorrow?
I know one person it happened to & he lost his money.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I would tell the dealer, that as it's now your van, and they will not allow it to be moved, you have every right to move into it where it stands.
Spending a couple of nights in it at the dealers just might make them speed things up a bit.
That’s not a bad idea to move in and use it. The majority of new ones have a snagging list for the customer to find no matter what the PDI says. Then at least you could get them to do the fixes while you are there !

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
Have you got something that proves title of the vehicle has passed to yourself?. Irrespective of this you also need to ensure responsibility for insurance is theirs until you collect.This does seem a strange situation. I've just collected a new vehicle which was registered in my name prior to collection and paid for the day before after doing a virtual handover a week before.

Upvote 0

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Is it normal to pay for the entire cost of the van upfront before delivery ? I thought you would put a deposit down and then pay the balance when a delivery date is confirmed . I hope you get it soon 👍 .

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2022
Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail imala 736g
Exp
And swift keep advertising on tv for all of their range of motorhomes and vans? Wonder what their turnaround time is from order??

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
I would contact dvla and query the time delay and whether this is normal and if so is there anyway of expediting it?

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I do remember that day we collected ours from Southdown’s, plates were not yet registered so they drove us to a campsite on their trade plates and returned the next day with the registered plates. So I assume you could ask for delivery to your drive on their trade plates?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Unfortunately there have been several negative reviews about Marquis on the Internet, one chap even blocked off their entrance and hung banners on his motorhome proclaiming how bad they were.
nintchdbpict000336555585.jpg

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Some fascinating stories here,especially post #15 😳

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
They haven't but I do trust them, even if that makes me naïve. I sat with the sales guy as he went through the application after I chose my number plate.
I wouldn't trust them ,a company like marquis who deal in a few vans should be able to get vans registered almost the same day. I would at least go to marquis and to see the van to make sure its there or its not been damaged and undergoing a repair.,hence the delaying tactics
I think they are dragging thier heels on this as normally only takes a couple of days tops to register
Go to them and insist they show you the van and paperwork and to call dvla in your prescence

Upvote 1
OP
OP
SirPooley
Aug 28, 2021
Oxford, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Kingham
Exp
I'm a newbie
I do remember that day we collected ours from Southdown’s, plates were not yet registered so they drove us to a campsite on their trade plates and returned the next day with the registered plates. So I assume you could ask for delivery to your drive on their trade plates?
Thanks Annie. I did try that but they said they couldn't drive it on the roads until the vehicle had its V55.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SirPooley
Aug 28, 2021
Oxford, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Kingham
Exp
I'm a newbie
I wouldn't trust them ,a company like marquis who deal in a few vans should be able to get vans registered almost the same day. I would at least go to marquis and to see the van to make sure its there or its not been damaged and undergoing a repair.,hence the delaying tactics
I think they are dragging thier heels on this as normally only takes a couple of days tops to register
Go to them and insist they show you the van and paperwork and to call dvla in your prescence
Thanks. I've been several times (it's only 20 miles away). It's been taken off their main forecourt and is sitting at the back all in good order.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Dealer talking poo.🤷‍♂️

They’ve buggered something up.
That is my immediate reaction too.

The dealer is is still telling lies. The original excuse that they had to start the registration process again because the new registrations had come out means they had not submitted the forms in the first place. Have they actually submitted the registration forms for the new number plate? They can drive the motorhome anywhere they like on trade plates so that is another lie.

Time to stop being trusting and get assertive.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I think I would be contacting the managing director asking for the reason for delay and demanding my money back until they get your new van delivered to you🤬🤬🤬
hope you get sorted soon good luck😊

Upvote 0

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Some fascinating stories here,especially post #15 😳

Wow ! That’s a shocking story ! No idea how they expected to get away with that one !

Upvote 0
Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Last week I wrote a forum post about how I had been waiting three weeks to get my brand new van after paying all the money for it.

I'm still waiting.

I called Marquis last week and they said they said they were still waiting for the V55 registration documents from the DVLA. I had asked them if they could deliver the vehicle to me on trade plates so that it was at least on my drive, but was told they are not allowed to release it until they have those documents.

So we are now approaching the fifth week where I have handed over £78,000 and I still have no van - nor any indication of when I might actually be able to pick it up.

I'm frustrated and getting increasingly annoyed. Do I have any options other than to just sit and wait?
I'm interested in how easy was it to spend 78k we have just paid off a large sum on a mortgage and I had to prove where we got every penny from, it was a nightmare going back years on bank statements etc.

Upvote 0
Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
Upvote 0

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
When we bought our current motorhome and it looked like registration might be delayed, Davan offered to lend us trade plates to drive it home.
Marquis are trying it on, it's yours paid for in full, if they will not lend you plates, do you have any friends or relations in motortrade that can lend you trade plates?

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
Burstner
If done by post it can take a good few weeks
Some dealers won’t pay to do it online where it gets done the same day

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!