1. Untitled Document

Sparrowhawk :-(

Discussion in 'NATURE & WILDLIFE' started by 1_man_and_his_dob(lo), Feb 20, 2013.

1. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

Not a very good start to the day - the local robin was sitting on the chair outside waiting for live mealworms, so I threw some out. The wren joined in and then the regular starlings.

Next thing I knew they all took off in a panic, there was a bang on the window, and by the time I opened the door there was a big female sparrowhawk on top of one of the birds. Clapped and ran towards it, but it just carried the screaming starling away. :cry:

The robin is still underneath the chair, looking a bit stunned, 10 minutes later. It might have hit the window and damaged itself. :Sad:

Jeesh....you try to help them and end up doing more harm than good sometimes. Not that the sparrowhawk is complaining. :Doh:
    2 people like this.
  2. peter H

peter H Funster

Such is life I guess.

Look on the bright side, the starling had just had a treat of live mealworms and you saw a sparrow hawk up really close.

It's a jungle out there for the birds

Peter
    3 people like this.
  3. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Our cat had the shock of her life from a Sparrowhawk not so long ago - they both had their eye on the same bird. I think the bird escaped - just.
    1 person likes this.
  4. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

A sparrowhawk is supposed to be a good sign - it means there's a healthy population of smaller birds. Doesn't make me feel any better though :Sad:

The robin has disappeared now...hopefully he (I think it's a male...sings a lot and chases other robins away) has flown off after recovering his senses and not hopped away into a corner injured.

The wren is back looking for mealworms...never seen one coming back so often. It's probably not worried about the hawk because to one of those a wren is like a Malteser and not worth chasing :Smile:
  5. Carol

Carol Funster

I have a corner of our garden where the bird feeders and bird table are, and put ground food down for the blackbirds etc, love to watch them.

Sitting there last year and a hawk swooped down and took one (bigger than a sparrow hawk) made me worry for a bit about feeding them, but weighed it up and decided that birds and I enjoy the feeding so carried on.

Last year I was in the kitchen when I heard a thud in the conservatory, went and looked and a sparrow halk was lying stunned on the floor, me screamed for Ed he had a look it was flat out, went to get a tea cloth to pick it up (well you never know) when it recovered and flew up, but I did get a good look at it and was surprised how small it seemed.
    2 people like this.