Spare wheels - Do I really need to carry one? (1 Viewer)

Spare Wheels

• Do you carry a spare wheel/tyre in your MoHo?

Votes: 166 93.8%
  • Have you ever needed to use it?

Votes: 45 25.4%
  • Would you be happy to change the wheel?

Votes: 101 57.1%
  • Would you need to call the breakdown service?

Votes: 79 44.6%
  • Have you ever had a puncture in any MoHo?

Votes: 55 31.1%
  • Did the repair kit work for you?

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Sometimes it's a case of "needs must". I carry a spare when I have the trailer attached but don't have one when it's not. The reason being that I don't have sufficient payload to be able to carry one on/in the motorhome. I don't carry a jack for the same reason. And why do I do this, simply because following a medical problem my licence was downgraded and so the motorhome had to be downplated also. At this stage in my life I am not about to go swapping motorhomes so I make the most of what I've got.
In my previous motorhome I had a spare and I had a massive blow-out on the A1. I called the AA out and let them have the hassle of crawling about under the m/home by the side of a very busy A1 to get the spare from out of its cradle and change the wheel.

Apr 28, 2021
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2006
Well that was interesting.
The weird one is that 509 viewed the poll but only 77 bothered to fill it in.

More people (72%) carry a spare than I would have guessed but only 27% have ever needed it.
Only 34 % of MoHo owners have ever had a pumpture.
Two thirds would be happy to change it themselves but the other third would have to call the breakdown service

I could change one at a push but it would have be safely in a car park or campsite - never on the road.
With only a 34% chance of having a pumpture, I will continue to take my chances on never having one. I will be happy to wait for the breakdown service and then wait for them to fetch a new tyre.

As I suspected no one has tried using the repair kit, it simply enables the manufacturers to avoid the cost of supplying a spare wheel and carrier.
I viewed the poll, but would answer no to each question, so donā€™t fill it in. Itā€™s a problem with the poll that people only answer if they have had a puncture?

Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
If you rely on breakdown service, check the small print some require you to carry a spare.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
I have to carry my spare wheel on the floor of the van when we are on a long trip. I wouldn't be comfortable without a spare on board. I have no space in my garage so I bought a wheel bag to keep it tidy when travelling. When we get to site I stow the wheel under the van. One of my dogs also likes it. The pic is not staged I just put a little bed in the wheel recess to make it more comfortable for him. He seems to love the security of the solid sides. And it helps him with his breathing.
dog in wheel.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Please ensure that your tyre isn't fully inflated when you have it inside especially if it's been cold outside and is warm in the MH as the increase in temperature may cause it to burst ... probably unlikely but not worth the risk. Below is a death caused by having a tyre inside and although it says they don't know why the tyre burst I seem to recall that the likely cause was later attributed to a change in temperature coupled with the fault on the tyre:

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
The relative increase in temperature would not cause it to explode.
Yes temperature increase does increase pressure but from outside to inside a van would not be sufficient to do that.
It would only be in reality from maybe 5 deg to say 20deg. Or similar relative change.

When on the wheel and in use when driving the tyre temperature would increase considerably more than that. Itā€™s designed to withstand much greater internal pressures.

We can easily go from -6 in the U.K. to 25 or 30 in Spain in the same trip.

The tyre failure would have been due to another reason. It does say it was changed due to a bulge. So already faulty with a weakness.
It is also worth noting that it was a Z3 so a 2 seater sports car. It is likely the tyre was very close to the victim.
Way too little information to determine that the tyre was the cause of death.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
The last and most recent time I had a Puncture, was on the R-V. Now if anyone fancies changing 23" O/S Rear Dual inner on the M25 Friday Afternoon. They are Most welcome. Prior to that we had one burst spectacularly on a Campsite (stationary), SWMBO was on the Loo at the time!. Which is Just about on top of it!. Not a happy Bunny, even less so when she saw us all laughing!. I have a spare, it`s in my garage (at home) the date on it is 2008, and it looks brand new!. "Found" it under the bed when we got the `van home 27kg of extra weight right where we don`t want it!, and as far as I can seen no alternative location either!. I will, should I ever go back "foreign", Buy a tyre and let the RAC fit it to the wheel. I have a Tyrepal Solar fitted and monitor them that way.
Must admit when I was trucking if a rear twin went I would just drive slowly to the next junction..pull off and find somewhere safe to change it..Not possible with a 4 in line trailer.An inside flat on those was a nightmare.BUSBY.

Jan 27, 2023
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
All the tyre repair garages where I live are so busy (due to potholes in the area) that my next door neighbour called in to have a repair done on his work van. They told him to leave it with them for a week and they would get round to fixing it šŸ˜²

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We only ever have one blow out and that was on a no-toll French autoroute. On the hard shoulder.I started to get the jack out unsure if was man enough. Police car pull up and told me in no uncertain terms I could not do it on the hard shoulder and the recovery truck would pick us up taking about 20-30 minutes to arrive. Police coned off the next lane for safety. Then the con began. You have to pay to get your keys back irrespective of any insurance. They also broke the spare wheel carrier. And failed to properly torque up the wheel it's.

All in even after the insurance paid up for the recovery, but not the wheel change, it cost over Ā£1000 with over Ā£700 to repair the carrier on return to the UK.

I don't, but have considered carrying a spare tyre, but I also don't think I would attempt it with the jack provided, and don't have the payload to carry a trolley jack.

Get as good insurance / recovery that. You can, but still expect you will be charged for something expensive.

OP
OP
Stealaway
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
If you rely on breakdown service, check the small print some require you to carry a spare.
I specifically asked my insurance company ---- Comfort Insurance.
They stated that they would attend all and every breakdown regardless of cause.

Are they likely to leave you abandoned and drive away?

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
In my previous van I had 3 blow outs, the first just coming home on the motorway from a service and a rear nearside tyre blew just like a cannon going off. The beading had blown on the inside, my mate being a manager of a tyre depot said he had never seen one go like that so sent it back to Michelin who replaced it no quibble.
The second two blow outs again the same batch of Michelin tyres happened on the way down through France near Alencon. The first blew out much the same as the previous one, I had the spare fitted then called at a tyre depot and had a new tyre fitted and all tyres checked then left and within 5 miles the other tyre blew out so back to the same tyre depot to replace.

All tyres were virtually new, no damage and all blew out much the same way, needless to say I changed all my tyres to Vanco Continental after that and had no more problems despite doing 110,000 miles in that van.

Would I buy a van without a spare, NO WAY. A can of gunk wouldn't have been of any use for any of those blow outs

Dec 7, 2017
Sherwood Forest, Notts
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017. Before had caravan, folding camper and various tents.
When I have two bikes, dog food, fishing tackle, tables and chairs etc in the garage I donā€™t have room for a spare wheel.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Yes temperature increase does increase pressure but from outside to inside a van would not be sufficient to do that.
It would only be in reality from maybe 5 deg to say 20deg.
Some people might think that is a 4x temperature change BUT for gases we need to consider thermodynamic temperatures ie add 273 to each value. So 279k to 293k, a change of approximately 5% šŸ‘

Gordon

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We had a blow out of a rear tyre on the busy road into Inverness, just as the two lanes merge to one. We'd been spiked by metal from a truck canopy. The noise was loud enough for some workers on the hillside above to drive down to investigate. They imagined the worst! They stayed with us, with their truck light flashing, until the police arrived. Even then the police were nearly wiped out by rubberneckers šŸ˜….

Our insurance, based in Madrid, were wonderful, and called out a local breakdown (that took quite some time). Eventually, the breakdown arrived, our spare wheel, eventually, liberated from under the van, where it had been for almost ten years, popped in place and we were then asked to drive for a few miles or so, to an exit, where it could all be checked safely.

Long story short, we bought two new tyes in Inverness. The front ones had been changed before our trip.

On our return back to Spain, with a van with four new tyres, that we then decided to keep, we went to visit our local dentist. On the carpark was a Hymer FOR SALE. Guess who bought it. The tyres were original, in good condition, but old. After our recent problem, we changed them.

We were regular orienteers then. A few months later we were driving through a forest, on a rough track to get to our parking area, when the van tipped to the side on a waterwashed track and blew out the side of one of the new tyres. Luckily, this van (we still have it) has a spare wheel, so we were able to offload all our junk and get the wheel out to replace the blown one.

Sorry this is such an epic post. But it's to show that, sometimes having a spare wheel is good. Twice for us in quick succession. Nothing before, front 1994 or since, 2024. We still have the spare wheel, even though it limits our payload, and we're loath to discard it.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back