Source of decent fuses (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
There was a discussion a while ago about fuses and quality of same. I've not found it so am asking where members get their spare fuses from that can be relied upon to do their job! I needed a blown fuse to check which was the "input" to the fuse and tried to blow a 5A fuse with a 10A power supply. It happily took all 10A. So suspect that the whole multipack is suspect. Looking for a source of quality ones.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
I don't think it's as straight forward equation as your example 🤷 others can explain in more depth.
Mike.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Just last week I checked the fuses on my Ducato - the heater fuse had a 15a fitted instead of the 30a in the handbook.
The 15a hadn't just blown it had melted - I had to remove it with pliers.

May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
I checked my 2023 globecar hab fuses last week and found installed from new a 10A fuse for a circuit consisting of 2 x 6A cigarette lighter type sockets and 5 lights and a couple of USB sockets. The lights take about 3A. Total possible about 17A?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
There was a discussion a while ago about fuses and quality of same. I've not found it so am asking where members get their spare fuses from that can be relied upon to do their job! I needed a blown fuse to check which was the "input" to the fuse and tried to blow a 5A fuse with a 10A power supply. It happily took all 10A. So suspect that the whole multipack is suspect. Looking for a source of quality ones.
Testing the current to blow a fuse is dependent on time and percentages of excess current
I don't think it's as straight forward equation as your example 🤷 others can explain in more depth.
Mike.
Correct and lots of different standards but automotive use is covered reasonably well here

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Another vote for 12v planet
I have seen the horror stories on YouTube of the cheap Chinese fuses, when I changed van to the Burstner and knowing the expense of the EBL unit I made a point of buying some decent brand fuses. đź‘Ť

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
I checked my 2023 globecar hab fuses last week and found installed from new a 10A fuse for a circuit consisting of 2 x 6A cigarette lighter type sockets and 5 lights and a couple of USB sockets. The lights take about 3A. Total possible about 17A?
The fuse protects the supply wiring, if you uprated the fuse it's possible that your wiring won't cope with the extra demand that the new fuse allows.

Cheers
Red.

May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
The fuse protects the supply wiring, if you uprated the fuse it's possible that your wiring won't cope with the extra demand that the new fuse allows.

Cheers
Red.
I haven't uprated, it's on the list for warranty work in August. Potential wiring issues is why I've installed a separate fused supply from the lithium battery to provide a 10A feed to charge up an Anker power pack, rather than touch the original wiring.

Jul 20, 2023
Battle, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL Auto
Exp
Limited motorhome and campervan hire previously.
Have a look at this Youtube from a trusted content provider. It goes a long way to explaining how these types of fuses a supposed to work. You can of course get fuse that work they way most people think they do, however they are several pounds each, not pennies, and come in totally different containment. Stick to the brand names Littlefuse and MTA for example, they cost more, that's because they are made to a measured standard.

HTH

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back