Some French Campsites Lowering Prices for Summer (2 Viewers)

Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
We are going over in August (school holidays for us) and even then the total holiday cost will work out cheaper than being in the UK...we will almost certainly have lovely weather and the roads are absolutely better than ours! I drove into Paris on a Sunday two years ago and even that wasn't stressful... and it was my first time driving there in the motorhome.
Sites...or stopovers were a mix of free and more expensive ones with a pool to accommodate our son but this time I want to try lake swimming so looking for ideas.
I really don't like motorhoming in the UK as the traffic is horrendous.
Bring on August!!

Apr 24, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
2001 Hymer B544
Exp
Since 1992
Decent Booze isn’t that cheap in France and neither is the ferry .
Weather here is warm enough in the summer
French N roads are no better than here with countless roundabouts and speed bumps
the motorway are good but expensive tolls

This is a wind up, right?

Wine isn’t taxed in France as it is in UK. A £5 bottle in UK is €2 here.

The crossing cost is a one off cost that is eliminated by the ability to camp for free with easy wildcamping, or stay safely with other vans in the thousands of free aires often with free water service and sometimes even free EHU, and cheaper proper camp sites if they are your thing. A 7 day stay is often enough to offset the cost of Dover/Calais return. 14 days offsets crossing and fuel. The longer you’re here, the better it becomes

If weather in UK is good enough for you then great. Fact is though - for most Brits the fact that decent weather isn’t guaranteed even in summer is the reason they have long gone overseas for holidays, and why the UK’s proud old victorian seaside resorts have long been struggling, many have long just been drug and dole infested ghettos.

The fact that most French holiday in their own country and the cost of any land near a coast tells a very different story. France (for example) is so big that if the weather is bad where you are, you can head somewhere else, usually south, and find bright sunshine. If it’s too hot, as it increasingly can be down south, you can head north for lower temperatures.

The suggestion that roads in France/Spain are no better than UK is laughable. Yes there are lots of 30kph limits and speed bumps in villages, not a problem as it allows you to drive slow enough to find the boulanger. Toll Autoroutes don’t need to be used as the network of Nationales (A roads) is fantastic and permits far more to be seen. There is far less traffic, much wider roads and virtually no pot holes. There is absolutely no comparison to the traffic clogged, road rage filled, zero free parking, narrow lane, pot hole infested and filthy litter strewn UK road network.

The only thing significantly more costly on the continent is the cost of food shopping, especially France, but with the exception of Germany where food prices are broadly the same as UK. Strangely, eating out remains broadly the same cost and often cheaper than UK.

Last edited:

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
We used to go mid April and return October it was cheaper than any of our short stays in the UK. There is no sewage in the rivers, the police regularly drive round the campsites and the French will help whether you need it or not. If anyone asks why I don't live there, France, I wish I could.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Apr 24, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
2001 Hymer B544
Exp
Since 1992
We used to go mid April and return October it was cheaper than any of our short stays in the UK. There is no sewage in the rivers, the police regularly drive round the campsites and the French will help whether you need it or not. If anyone asks why I don't live there, France, I wish I could.

As this is a camper vanning forum, and we are talking purely about enjoying the hobby and the rather more adventurous and interesting holidays it facilitates, I for one have long been utterly mystified as to why anyone, especially if they have time/are retired etc would choose to stay in UK to use the van unless perhaps they live in the beautiful north of Scotland. The continent is infinitely more welcoming, everything is just so much easier for a motorhomer, there are endlessly more things to see, the most beautiful landscapes, and every village/commune, even the most unbelievably beautiful villages will have facilities designed and provided just for the camping caristes. You are welcomed everywhere because they generally recognise we are valued members of society and valuable contributors to the local economy - even just buying a baguette which is often is all you need to do for a free token for the water.

In the UK, sadly, we are seen as road hogging freeloaders and often regarded with the same hostility as any other ‘traveller’ - a situation only getting worse and for which you can thank the ‘van life’ fraternity.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp

The crossing cost is a one off cost that is eliminated by the ability to camp for free with easy wildcamping, or stay safely with other vans in the thousands of free aires often with free water service and sometimes even free EHU, and cheaper proper camp sites if they are your thing. A 7 day stay is often enough to offset the cost of Dover/Calais return. 14 days offsets crossing and fuel. The longer you’re here, the better it becomes

If weather in UK is good enough for you then great. Fact is though - for most Brits the fact that decent weather isn’t guaranteed even in summer is the reason they have long gone overseas for holidays, and why the UK’s proud old victorian seaside resorts have long been struggling, many have long just been drug and dole infested ghettos.

The fact that most French holiday in their own country and the cost of any land near a coast tells a very different story. France (for example) is so big that if the weather is bad where you are, you can head somewhere else, usually south, and find bright sunshine. If it’s too hot, as it increasingly can be down south, you can head north for lower temperatures.

The suggestion that roads in France/Spain are no better than UK is laughable. Yes there are lots of 30kph limits and speed bumps in villages, not a problem as it allows you to drive slow enough to find the boulanger. Toll Autoroutes don’t need to be used as the network of Nationales (A roads) is fantastic and permits far more to be seen. There is far less traffic and virtually no pot holes.

The only thing significantly more costly on the continent is the cost of food shopping, especially France, but with the exception of Germany where food prices are broadly the same as UK. Strangely, eating out remains broadly the same cost and often cheaper than UK.
No it isn’t a windup
It’s not cheaper for me by the time I travel 450 plus miles to the channel takes me two days
pay for an overnight stop on route ( need EHU and a shower )
cross on the train or even ferry at a time that suits me - refuse to go at stupid o’clock hours just because it’s cheaper
Pay for travel insurance and break down cover which isn’t cheap for two weeks
Add wear and tear
Don’t do free Aires where your often packed like sardines with no electricity - not a chance prefer sites with facilities
occasionally use CCP but only the camping Mon as your guaranteed EHU and showers
Don’t drink wine ever - cannot stand the stuff
Premium beer and spirits is no cheaper neither are cigs

I can do Yorkshire , Lakes or Northumberland or even the Highlands in 2-2.5 hours or less
Stay on a proper campsite either C&CC or CAMC for 14 nights at £35-40 approx a night (£490 -560)
£80-90 worth of diesel to go there and back to home ( cheaper than burning dozens of gallons to get to Central France )
Food cost don’t come into it - you have to eat
NO travel insurance costs
NO ferry or tunnel costs

Might be cheaper if you live in Engerland closer to channel ports , travel at cheaper times (usually stupid o’clock )
Do without EHU ( I won’t)
Spend your time on free Aires often very crammed in popular places ( Not for us )

(Who mentioned roads in Spain I didn't !! Roads in Spain are generally good and motorways are cheaper tolls or free )

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I want to try lake swimming so looking for ideas.
The absolute bible is "Wild Swimming in France" Edition 2 available on Amazon and other internet providers. (Edition 1 has less spots)

We have used it for 11 years and have based our holidays on it.

I have created a map which is interactively linked to the spots (about 1,000) which I can share a read only variety, however, only to those who can prove they have the book as I am not into ripping off the author. We also have the Spain and Alps versions.

Best £15 we have ever spent on anything ever.
I ve colour coded and icon coded the spots to include gorge walks, cascades, next to campsites, beach, river, lake, clues motorhome stopover within spitting distance, wild camping spot.

Whilst I m here on this thread, our record is 24p for 28 days in France on water camping and electric. Our last holiday of 29 days in Spain was 12 euros as I learn how to release the purse strings

If you pop onto the journals and see any of my French entries you will see many of the places we have been that not many know about if you like the P and Q.

Bung me a PM when you take the advice of buying one and I ll share it with you
1714647285874.png

1714647338195.png

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
No it isn’t a windup
It’s not cheaper for me by the time I travel 450 plus miles to the channel takes me two days
pay for an overnight stop on route ( need EHU and a shower )
cross on the train or even ferry at a time that suits me - refuse to go at stupid o’clock hours just because it’s cheaper
Pay for travel insurance and break down cover which isn’t cheap for two weeks
Add wear and tear
Don’t do free Aires where your often packed like sardines with no electricity - not a chance prefer sites with facilities
occasionally use CCP but only the camping Mon as your guaranteed EHU and showers
Don’t drink wine ever - cannot stand the stuff
Premium beer and spirits is no cheaper neither are cigs

I can do Yorkshire , Lakes or Northumberland or even the Highlands in 2-2.5 hours or less
Stay on a proper campsite either C&CC or CAMC for 14 nights at £35-40 approx a night (£490 -560)
£80-90 worth of diesel to go there and back to home ( cheaper than burning dozens of gallons to get to Central France )
Food cost don’t come into it - you have to eat
NO travel insurance costs
NO ferry or tunnel costs

Might be cheaper if you live in Engerland closer to channel ports , travel at cheaper times (usually stupid o’clock )
Do without EHU ( I won’t)
Spend your time on free Aires often very crammed in popular places ( Not for us )

(Who mentioned roads in Spain I didn't !! Roads in Spain are generally good and motorways are cheaper tolls or free )
Why are you bitching about the tunnel cost then if you are so happy in the UK & it sounds like you hate France so why go, it don't add up.
I don't understand the need for EHU & showers when you have a decent van if you have the Pilote in your profile.
A Nationwide Flex Plus account would give you Breakdown Cover & Travel Insurance for as many trips as you want in a year for £13/month (£156/year).

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014

The suggestion that roads in France/Spain are no better than UK is laughable. Yes there are lots of 30kph limits and speed bumps in villages, not a problem as it allows you to drive slow enough to find the boulanger. Toll Autoroutes don’t need to be used as the network of Nationales (A roads) is fantastic and permits far more to be seen. There is far less traffic, much wider roads and virtually no pot holes. There is absolutely no comparison to the traffic clogged, road rage filled, zero free parking, narrow lane, pot hole infested and filthy litter strewn UK road network.

Totally agree

We are on our 37th night mostly Spain total spending so far £700. Food fuel gas and all free camping. Also free water and waste disposal.

As we are at Villa rocos on a steady return up the cupboards are full along with the fuel and gas in that price.
We paid £400 Brittany Ferries return so atm £1100

With restrictions in the uk on free camping and you were on a camping site at £30 a night if you’re lucky enough to get a site at that price. £1110
Food and fuel on top of that

I think I’ll stick with the 37 days of sun we have had so far and the total freedom to enjoy and move around as we wish.
Shame we only have 23 days left

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
..... And there is the rub. Apart from the the fact that I really don't like the environment of formal campsites, particularly the 'Clubs', the fact that with a self contained vehicle many motorhomers don't need EHU, showers and toilets etc, but are effectively forced to pay for these facilities in the UK, and the main issue is that for the sites that you enjoy, spontaneity is virtually impossible. You're welcome to it of course, I think it is way better across the water (in a van!). And as for £35-£40 a night - no thanks.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
This might come in handy then?

Wild Swimming France (second... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/191063624X?tag=mhf04-21

One we found that isn’t in there is Lac du Der, which has multiple swimming beaches and other spots. There are three CCP aires and several freebie locations on the opposite shoreline.
Its quite surprising that stunning lake isnt on there but he stops just short on the Aube river a bit North East of the lake.

FOr the benefit of others, there are loads and loads more than the book has, what he does is go camping with his family on holiday in a region and hunt these places out taking the photos himself (as he is a photographer).

Nice to see someone else has found the benefits of the book

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Why are you bitching about the tunnel cost then if you are so happy in the UK & it sounds like you hate France so why go, it don't add up.
I don't understand the need for EHU & showers when you have a decent van if you have the Pilote in your profile.
A Nationwide Flex Plus account would give you Breakdown Cover & Travel Insurance for as many trips as you want in a year for £13/month (£156/year).
Lenny I’m just pointing out the overall cost for us to travel all the way to France for 2or even 3 weeks is more than stopping here in the U.K.
As for the Pilote shower it’s tiny , certainly not very useable for me it’s like standing in a coffin
Ok for the very occasional use if you have no other option so a decent onsite facilities block is a must for us
As for Nationwide I don’t have an account ( how good is the insurance
And no I don’t hate France but I won’t compromise on what I need / want when we are away and that includes electric
Like our TV Satellite, internet and in hot weather air conditioning
not to mention wife’s hairdryer , electric tongs .

Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
Lenny I’m just pointing out the overall cost for us to travel all the way to France for 2or even 3 weeks is more than stopping here in the U.K.
As for the Pilote shower it’s tiny , certainly not very useable for me it’s like standing in a coffin
Ok for the very occasional use if you have no other option so a decent onsite facilities block is a must for us
And no I don’t hate France but I won’t compromise on what I need / want when we are away and that includes electric
Ah I see your problem now. It’s not a motorhome problem it seems you have bought a house in the wrong location🤣.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Why go at the most expensive time? Out may 14th back June 14th tunnel £220 return.I have breakdown 365 days for uk and Europe so it's no extra..Will probably have ten free nights and others at probably average 15 euros a night for the rest..Big bonus is the weather...Not staying in uk to be ripped off and get wet.BUSBY.
I don't know how you get that, mines that much each road
Screenshot_20240502-132647.png

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We are quite different, we don't like sites much prefer Aires or wild spots, don't use EHU, don't think I've put my satellite dish up in two years, don't see the point of aircon in a van.

Don't like the altitude to Motorhomes in the UK I'd rather do the long 20 mile journey to Newhaven and get on a Ferry. :rofl:

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
100% wrong!
I didnt say always
We are quite different, we don't like sites much prefer Aires or wild spots, don't use EHU, don't think I've put my satellite dish up in two years, don't see the point of aircon in a van.

Don't like the altitude to Motorhomes in the UK I'd rather do the long 20 mile journey to Newhaven and get on a Ferry. :rofl:
Lucky for you living in London area
I have a two day journey to get to the channel

Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
Why go at the most expensive time? Out may 14th back June 14th tunnel £220 return.I have breakdown 365 days for uk and Europe so it's no extra..Will probably have ten free nights and others at probably average 15 euros a night for the rest..Big bonus is the weather...Not staying in uk to be ripped off and get wet.BUSBY.
We're going 6th May back 3rd June, and we paid £338! You jammy/careful/well researched (delete as appropriate) bugger :D

Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
This might come in handy then?

Wild Swimming France (second... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/191063624X?tag=mhf04-21

One we found that isn’t in there is Lac du Der, which has multiple swimming beaches and other spots. There are three CCP aires and several freebie locations on the opposite shoreline.
I will definitely look at this...our 13 year old will have Motocross withdrawal so I need to have a few tricks up my sleeve!! 😂

Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
The absolute bible is "Wild Swimming in France" Edition 2 available on Amazon and other internet providers. (Edition 1 has less spots)

We have used it for 11 years and have based our holidays on it.

I have created a map which is interactively linked to the spots (about 1,000) which I can share a read only variety, however, only to those who can prove they have the book as I am not into ripping off the author. We also have the Spain and Alps versions.

Best £15 we have ever spent on anything ever.
I ve colour coded and icon coded the spots to include gorge walks, cascades, next to campsites, beach, river, lake, clues motorhome stopover within spitting distance, wild camping spot.

Whilst I m here on this thread, our record is 24p for 28 days in France on water camping and electric. Our last holiday of 29 days in Spain was 12 euros as I learn how to release the purse strings

If you pop onto the journals and see any of my French entries you will see many of the places we have been that not many know about if you like the P and Q.

Bung me a PM when you take the advice of buying one and I ll share it with you
View attachment 892494
View attachment 892496
Fantastic!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back