1. MotorhomeFun The best Motorhome Club in the World

Register to remove adverts Register Here

Welcome to Motorhome Fun

MotorhomeFun is a large community of motorhome and touring enthusiasts. Our website is the busiest of its kind. It serves as a meeting place for thousands of members who share their knowledge of motorhomes and travel, as well as arrange rallies in the UK, Europe and beyond.

It's easy to join us and takes just a minute

Solar Panels - Which Sikaflex?

Discussion in 'MOTORHOME CHAT' started by StitchUp, Jan 3, 2013.

1. StitchUp

StitchUp Funster

So I've got all the components and when the weather gets better I'll be fitting my solar panels.

I'm a little unsure as to which Sikaflex to use to stick the panel support brackets to the roof? My panels are large 200w and I have two, I have 6 support brackets for each panel, 1 for each corner and two for centre of each of the long sides.

As the panels are quite heavy, what's the best way to stop the Sikaflex being squashed out from underneath the brackets? Would a few matchsticks do? They'd create a gap of about 2mm between the base of the support bracket and the roof. This space would be taken up by the Sikaflex of course.

Any tips gratefully received :)
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  2. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Are you also using a mechanical fixing ?
  3. StitchUp

StitchUp Funster

I wasn't planning to. The footprint of the six brackets is quite large and most of what I've read on the forums suggests that a mechanical fixing, screws etc, are not necessary. The only screws would be those used to fix the brackets to the panels. I always take the advice of those more experienced than myself, especially SWMBO :Rofl1:
  4. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

I helped a fellow member fit 2 pannels to my Motorhome,or should I say held the ladder and passed him things.The brackets were screwed to the panels then the unit was sat on roof to get the best position.This was marked and the areas where the brackets met the roof were wiped down with white spirit.
    Then some sikaflex 512 was applied and the pannels placed,no matchsticks used and the pannels pushed down well.This was last summer and within an hour of fitting had a forty minute drive home,after many miles since still stuck solid I check them every now and then as a precautionary measure.
    I've 2 90 watt pannels on roof and 2 110 amp batteries and been wild camping in Scotland for 2 Weeks in summer and 4 days longest away in winter so far .Never out of power and batteries fully charged from pannels.
    Regards Vlad .
    1 person likes this.
  5. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

6. StitchUp

StitchUp Funster

That's great to hear :Smile: Thanks Vlad.

Some say Sikaflex 512 and other say 291 - hence my confusion!
  7. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

He has fitted a few and an expert that quoted me close to a grand for the set up I have was also going to use 512.Infact I got a idea of what I needed from the experts sourced the bits on eBay and with the help of a FUNSTER saved a packet.
    :thumb::thumb::thumb:
    Vlad.
  8. Minx

Minx Funster

9. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

John,

This thread here outlines all that is required - See Andy's (Techno100) post (#7) with pictures etc.

I bought my Sikaflex from here
    1 person likes this.
  10. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

11. StitchUp

StitchUp Funster

Thanks guys.

Yes, I've purchased several tubes of 512 off Ebay but then got confused when others used 221 etc. Was just looking for the definitive answer as I'll likely need more 512 if that's the right stuff.
  12. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

I think I am a "belt and braces" safety first type, I have two 120w panels on my roof and used ss screws and adhesive.
    At 70mph on a motorway a flying solar panel would be decidedly unsociable :Eeek: