Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
DBK created a new event:

Solar Eclipse 2026

This must count as a bit of a record for long term rally planning, but at around 18:30 on 12th August, 2026 there will be a total eclipse of the sun visible from much of north east Spain. It will also be visible from western Iceland but Spain is probably a bit easier for most folk to reach. :)

The map in this link shows the path of totality. If you zoom into Spain you can see that the best viewing will be roughly anywhere from Oviedo on the north coast of Spain down to the Mediterranean...

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Having seen totality from S Cornwall in 1999 I can strongly recommend a spot overlooking the sea, preferably high up as the Moon's shadow approaches across the water. The Costa Verde on the N Coast springs readily to mind, but it could be bloody heaving.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
My daughter and I came down to Plymouth for the last one. It was magical looking out to sea over the Sound. We drove down as a last minute thing and slept in the back of my Volvo in Sainsbury's car park!

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Having seen totality from S Cornwall in 1999 I can strongly recommend a spot overlooking the sea, preferably high up as the Moon's shadow approaches across the water. The Costa Verde on the N Coast springs readily to mind, but it could be bloody heaving.
That's the problem, finding somewhere where there is room to park and isn't full of whooping Americans. Still, we have a few years to think about it... :)

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I saw the last one - so eerie the way all the birds go silent. Great to see.
As the Missus is very into astro-photography, I have a feeling she will want to see the 2026 event, so we could be interested.

I'm watching the USA one live on YT at the mo, more to see the Americans freak out and throw sticks at the moon :)

Actually, what am I saying. It's America, they prefer to shoot.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Yes, we went to see the 1999 eclipse in the UK. Went to one of our favourite beaches in South Devon - Slapton Sands. Left Bristol about 03.00 on the day, and bagged the last space in the Strete Gate car park at about 05.30 - then kipped and waited for the big event - which was great!

Getting out of the South Hams afterwards was a complete nightmare, however.

But 2026 sounds good - thanks for the heads-up DBK! (y)

Last edited:
Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Yes, we went to see the 1999 eclipse in the UK. Went to one of our favourite beaches in South Devon - Slapton Sands. Left Bristol about 03.00 on the day, and bagged the last space in the Street Gate car park at about 05.30 - then kipped and waited for the big event - which was great!

Getting out of the South Hams afterwards was a complete nightmare, however.

But 2026 sounds good - thanks for the heads-up DBK! (y)
We watched it from our garden in Kingsbridge and I remember the traffic jams - vehicles seemed stationary for hours.
Although it was cloudy it was still an extraordinary event - the birds flew into the bushes and it became dark very quickly followed by something I hadn't expected - a rapid dawn swept across us from one side of the sky to the other.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Are our deposits refundable?:whistle:
No refunds if it's raining or cloudy. :)
To encourage clear skies the sacrifice of a Funster or two (on the assumption virgins will be scarce) might work. :)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We went to France for the last one less crowded than Cornwall clear sky at totality and 200 bottles in the back on return......great trip. How about rioja it looks like its in the zone of totality and good wine.

David

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We were lucky enough to view the 1999 eclipse from a champagne chateau in Reims. The chaotic story of the journey their could not have been made up and we laugh about it now.

Here's a photo I took there just as the sun re-appears, the moment and image is known as the diamond ring. You can see several solar flares around the perimeter.

Eclipse 1-1 Hi Rez.jpg

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
We went to France for the last one less crowded than Cornwall clear sky at totality and 200 bottles in the back on return......great trip. How about rioja it looks like its in the zone of totality and good wine.

David

Rioja? I'm sold :)

Missus will be happy with spending hours with the camera, I can drown my self in white Rioja whilst cooking up chorizo (y)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Rioja? I'm sold :)

Missus will be happy with spending hours with the camera, I can drown my self in white Rioja whilst cooking up chorizo (y)
Muga do quite a nice white we were there a couple of years ago but the reds............. It might be if there were enough interested one of the wineries could allow a meet I don't know what thay are like to visit by motorhome we did it on easyjet/ryannair last 2 times

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
SOD THAT,,, !!!!

Last one 20th March 2015... I was lying on a trolley waiting for my heart bypass...
They actually made me wait while they were all outside looking at the Eclipse...
Talk about good / bad omens...

HOWEVER.. As I came out the other side just like the Sun if i last till 2026 that road between Valencia and Zarragoza would be a great spot... A23 ?? Lots of places to park up in the middle of nowhere..

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Yes, we went to see the 1999 eclipse in the UK. Went to one of our favourite beaches in South Devon - Slapton Sands........
We were camped just up the hill at a cliff-top campsite at Stoke Fleming. (Now it's all static caravans unfortunately) Watching the shadow coming toward us across the sea was amazing.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We were camped just up the hill at a cliff-top campsite at Stoke Fleming. (Now it's all static caravans unfortunately) Watching the shadow coming toward us across the sea was amazing.
Yes, I know the campsite - it did have amazing sea views. We camped there a few times with our tents when we were younger. The grass sloped somewhat, but worth it for the vista.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There was a solar eclipse today but not completely total and not visible from the UK but it reminded me the next one is now only six years away! šŸ˜€

Annoyingly it is at the busiest and hottest time of the year, August 12th and you will have to travel to Iceland or Spain to see it.

If spared, we'll be in Spain somewhere. Weather likely to be more reliable and a lot easier to get to than Iceland. šŸ˜€

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Has been in our diary for a while now.
We are planning to view it just East of Figueras on the North Spain coast where we should experience the total eclipse for just under 1 minutes 52 seconds. (y)
I guess the weather forecast will be critical. North coast better for viewing as the 'clipse will last a little longer but the north isn't known as Green Spain without reason. šŸ˜€

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We saw the one in I think it was 1999 in France. It was total in Cornwall too but all the campsites were ripp off prices so we went on a day trip crossing (less than 24 hrs but timed to allow an overnight camp in a tent in those days) . Saw the eclipse wheras Cornwall was cloudy they open the toll gates on the motorway because of queues and we picked up a stock of wine. Win win

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
No refunds if it's raining or cloudy. :)
To encourage clear skies the sacrifice of a Funster or two (on the assumption virgins will be scarce) might work. :)
"Gentlemen" of a "Certain Persuasion", are currently busy trying to corner that Market, as I understand it?.
Could be CV26 by then if we are really unlucky. šŸ˜­
One must be careful what what wishes for?.

Strangely, I put the old Cam-Corder on the tripod (1999) during My House Build. And recorded the whole thing from our yard in Yorkshire, (so not an absolute Eclipse.). Only recently, I came across the footage whilst converting some film of the Grand kids and transcribed it to Digital. As others have said, weird to see/hear the birds go to "roost".

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
For the 1999 one dragged our caravan to southern German where you were supposed to get the best views, got a good view of clouds. Since then I've failed to get excited about eclipses.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back