SODA BREAD! (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.......

Soda Bread is one of the quickest and easiest ways to have fresh bread in the morning for breakfast (y)

Despite being in France right now we still make this every morning. Why? well because it’s fresh, tasty, full of Wholemeal goodness, always available even in the middle of nowhere, and (and some of you know I really love bread!) saves the disappointment of yet another so say ‘Artisan’ baguette :unsure:

364D9FE0-B445-40D1-BC95-1D2B9A1FA823.jpeg

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Your bread always look so yummy

Was watching a very interesting program on TV thus week about sustainable farming (for tree huggers like me) and it was talking about the time it takes to make bread commercially, which was about 4 hours.
They featured a baker who was making bread using heirloom wheat which was left to ferment with the yeast for up to 60 hours before baking.
Apparently the fermentation makes the bread more digestible.

I don’t eat bread any more as I’m on a low carb diet, but I’d love to taste the bread that guy was making.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Live yogurt instead of some of the milk works as well :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Just made some but its got a rather thick crust, would it be better to use the oven on conventional rather than fan?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We’ve been inspired to have a go ourselves
Making 30 hour sourdough bread this weekend

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Just made some sausage rolls with shop bought puff pastry, not impressed so I shall go back to making my own.

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Just made some but its got a rather thick crust, would it be better to use the oven on conventional rather than fan?
Hmm, can you list quantities/ingredients/temp/time etc then I might be able to help :xgrin:

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Most certainly
But not for a few years
I’ll let you know how it turns out
Good Man! I've got a bit reckless and started to refresh my French starter that I brought back from Pissos this year........ prob gonna make one on Sunday. I have really enjoyed making Soda bread for brekkie (now the perfect recipe(y)) and particularly making Wholemeal Spelt yeasted loaves recently. Also........ Friday night is home made Pizza night! :D2:D2:D2

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Just followed your recipe. Now done another lot in tin covered with foil, seems much better.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Your bread always look so yummy

Was watching a very interesting program on TV thus week about sustainable farming (for tree huggers like me) and it was talking about the time it takes to make bread commercially, which was about 4 hours.
They featured a baker who was making bread using heirloom wheat which was left to ferment with the yeast for up to 60 hours before baking.
Apparently the fermentation makes the bread more digestible.

I don’t eat bread any more as I’m on a low carb diet, but I’d love to taste the bread that guy was making.
I've done slow fermenting for pizza dough and it can certainly be done for bread too. The theory is it is generates a better flavour and texture. It is done by using very little yeast then letting it prove in the refrigerator for 3 or 4 days.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I've done slow fermenting for pizza dough and it can certainly be done for bread too. The theory is it is generates a better flavour and texture. It is done by using very little yeast then letting it prove in the refrigerator for 3 or 4 days.
Ours has just gone in the fridge. Shall knock it back tomorrow night and cook it Sunday morning

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Just followed your recipe. Now done another lot in tin covered with foil, seems much better.
OK, in that case try baking for 20 mins at 220c for 10 mins then 200 for the rest.

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
@olley if you fancy lighter fluffier soda bread, then instead of buttermilk use 3/4 creme fraiche with 1/4 milk, you could also go to a total of 200g liquid. The bread will be lighter and the crust will be very soft :xThumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back