Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Pardon my ignorance but we have a Humax HDR-200T HD Digital Recorder would we benefit but attaching it to our Motor home tv ?
thanks in advance.
That’s a Freeview PVR and in your MH it should give you the same features there as it does indoors.
Pause live tv, watch live tv (or a recording) while record a different channel.
Have you got a terrestrial tv aerial for the MH?

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
We gave up on Sky a couple of years ago when they wouldn’t give me any sort of deal to retain my custom (we had been customers since the early 90s). We got a Humax box & a Firestick, and despite Sky practically wanting to pay me to come back over the next few months we weren’t tempted! We fill the Humax 1tb hard drive and take it with us in the van, & combined with the Firestick we have more than enough choice! We have my sons Netflix, our own Amazon Prime and all the Catch Up tv we could want! Never going back to Sky - waste of money!
ps We watch a lot of tv, both at home & in the Van!

Mar 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
I'm a newbie
That’s a Freeview PVR and in your MH it should give you the same features there as it does indoors.
Pause live tv, watch live tv (or a recording) while record a different channel.
Have you got a terrestrial tv aerial for the MH?
It's a digital aerial.

Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
IPTV. With a good internet connection it works well and can cost between 25 and a 100 quid a year. 1000's of channels including most sports channels.
Does IPTV work abroad? And if so what's the quality like - home and abroad? We've used FilmOn when abroad but the price has gone up a lot over the last few years and the quality, even the HQ version, is poor.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Does IPTV work abroad? And if so what's the quality like - home and abroad? We've used FilmOn when abroad but the price has gone up a lot over the last few years and the quality, even the HQ version, is poor.
it all depends on how good an internet connection you have. I have streamed live football without a problem when the signal is good

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
OK thanks. Was that abroad as well?

yes, using a 3 sim and huawei dongle

i also got a really good stream on a campsite using their internet and streaming through a firestick,

as mobile data becomes more affordable and stable, then it will become better, though of course more people will start using it LOL

Sep 9, 2016
Nr Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma 89
Exp
Since 2012
I like others used to have Sky at home then I noticed the price had crept up and was paying £45 for the basic package. I then cancelled and what a game that was, all of a sudden they could drop the price to £25, well once bitten twice shy as they say, told them to get stuffed. went over to Freesat and never looked back for home and camping. Have now got OysterV which when I'm down south of Spain I can receive Intelsat 907 and a 4G router that receives the Internet and from this I can get all the channels I want Netflix, ITV Hub & BBC Iplayer. It's not difficult to set up you just get a static IP address and both the ITV Hub and BBC Iplayer think you are in the UK. Cost initially £350 plus Spanish SIM Card €30 per month gives me enough for 2 Hrs of TV per night.

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
I would cancel SKY but you cannot get Eurosport on Freesat which we watch for the cycling and another plus point is that many Sky subscription channels can be watched all over Spain as there transmitted on the Pan European beam which is easily received via an 85cm dish

If you don't mind the commentary in German, Eurosport 1 (Deutschland) is free to air on satellite. But you do need to set your dish to Astra 19.2°E.

So no good if your dish is a fixed one in the UK pointing at Astra 28.2°E.

May 3, 2020
Basse Normandie France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo
Exp
I'm a newbie
Living in France we cant get SKY (legally) and Ive had freesat since Ive been here ( 12 years) and as far as I'm concerned its bloody brilliant, I have 3 Humax boxes around the house, there are more than enough channels to skip through, and we have a freebie netflix account so we can get films and Tv series as we want.
I had Sky back when I lived in the UK, mainly for the sport ( which I miss) but now most of it is on the internet somewhere it just takes a bit of finding, the quality is pretty crap but its watchable on a tablet and Id sooner do that than put money into Murdochs coffers

Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
We used to have sky as well it now have Freesat and a firestick. Would not go back saves a fortune. The Humax box is not as quick as sky takes a while to get used to but hey it saves £50 a month. They have just bought out a uhd box if you have the TV to suit.

pixer

Free Member
Jun 11, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Semi integrated
Exp
Since 1982
No Ch4 HD on Freesat.........
It is available free to air on Astra 2G 11127V 22000 5/6 uk Spot Beam. May be difficult to get in Southern France. Plenty of YouTube videos on how to tune your Sat Reciever to free to air channels. I have a Sat tuner computer board. Channel 4 HD works fine in UK!

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
You don't have to point your dish at Astra 28 satellites, sports are available from other broadcasters, have a look at lyngsat.
But like the UK, most are behind a paywall. Not much these days is free (maybe Eurosport Germany and RTL (for F1) on Astra 1 at 19 east)

I like others used to have Sky at home then I noticed the price had crept up and was paying £45 for the basic package. I then cancelled and what a game that was, all of a sudden they could drop the price to £25
Sounds like you were on an old legacy pack (like Entertainment and Variety). They merged these into one, and dropped the price a year or two ago. And also made kids channels an optional addition. Hence the lower price now. But true, in a few cases unless you contacted them they did not move you to the new pack.

It is available free to air on Astra 2G 11127V 22000 5/6 uk Spot Beam. May be difficult to get in Southern France. Plenty of YouTube videos on how to tune your Sat Reciever to free to air channels. I have a Sat tuner computer board. Channel 4 HD works fine in UK!
Yes but not available on Freesat. Only in "non Freesat mode" as it is FTA, which means that any planned recording you have on Freesat will not work when you are in Non Freesat mode,

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Yes we've had great connections using our Huawai Mifi, ok you get the odd buffering, usually just at the start of a programme, but we've been really happy with IPTV. Have used it right across Europe and We use it at home as well. Most providers do a free trial and their are loads of tutorials showing you how to load it on your tv or firestick.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Last time in Spain we gave up on Filmon when we discovered TVMucho. Cheap and effective!
John

Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
yes, using a 3 sim and huawei dongle

i also got a really good stream on a campsite using their internet and streaming through a firestick,

as mobile data becomes more affordable and stable, then it will become better, though of course more people will start using it LOL
Perfect. I'll try the one month package next time we go abroad. I have a 3 SIM on my phone with unlimited data which I can tether off when the campsite wifi is expensive. Works well for Netflix so should be OK with IPTV.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
i am a bit of an amateur geek, i love tech but dont have the knowledge to investigate it on a technical basis, so tend to watch a lot of youtube and read on the net, i then go and buy what seems to meet my needs (i dont always get it right though lol)

one thing i would recommend on campsites is the Motorhome Wifi set up - i use it on a site in France where its expensive AND only allows one user, with the Motorhome Wifi set up i can share the signal and connect to a non wifi tv 'device' via ethernet cable, which works brlliantly (you do need a laptop to set it up)

i also used it in the UK and set my phone with unlimited data as the 'signal', the Motorhome Wifi also worked really well aswell utilising that signal and as it allowed me to tether a non wifi tv device.

i have recently purchased a Netgear M2 through EE (locked for 6 months) and an omni directional aerial which i am hoping will replace my Motorhome Wifi set up. i will be able to test it properly once travel restrictions are lifted.

Things do change though, so what i have now might not be needed in a year or two as data becomes cheaper and more available.

pixer

Free Member
Jun 11, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Semi integrated
Exp
Since 1982
It is available free to air on Astra 2G 11127V 22000 5/6 uk Spot Beam. May be difficult to get in Southern France. Plenty of YouTube videos on how to tune your Sat Reciever to free to air channels. Channel 4 HD works fine in UK!

Yes but not available on Freesat. Only in "non Freesat mode" as it is FTA, which means that any planned recording you have on Freesat will not work when you are in Non Freesat mode,
[/QUOTE]

One of the disadvantages of using Freesat only. Isn't Freesat only a "wrapper" for their selection (paid to be included) of a number of FTA Channels?

Jul 26, 2012
Solihull
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
For over 50 years
I'm quite happy with Sky. Their sports coverage is second to none and I'll be continuing to pay up in spite of the football etc being in lockdown.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I'm quite happy with Sky. Their sports coverage is second to none and I'll be continuing to pay up in spite of the football etc being in lockdown.
Even though sky themselves have set up an e z way to pause Sky Sports?

bighun

Free Member
Jun 10, 2017
scotland
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
I used my 3 network sim in a router that they supply with the sim in France last year and it worked good with IPTV channels they are doing a deal just now 100gb data for £10 a month for 6 months then £20 after that it is the best deal going about at the moment also 3 are pushing broadband without a phone line which I have tried and it is very good

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Freesat, hands down, Sky has nothing extra to tempt me.

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
RESULT!

Following the advice given, we gave Sky a call and ended up amending our package down to £25 a month for an 18 month contract, much more affordable.

Many thanks all for your help.

Mar 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
I'm a newbie
Might be off topic so please delete if not appropriate. Is this a good option ? NETGEAR Nighthawk M2 Mobile Hotspot 4G LTE Router MR2100 with a data sim for TV ?

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
We went Freesat.
Sky/Virgin - agree price, then a cost of living increase comes in, then a special discount, then its worth getting the extra package for 3 months, then a discount for... It's like cat and mouse and you know who the mouse is.
One less thing to have in your calendar to 'dicuss'.
I would not recognise the name of 80% of the channels we used to have (and still have many of them on Freesat or free to air in the van).

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Might be off topic so please delete if not appropriate. Is this a good option ? NETGEAR Nighthawk M2 Mobile Hotspot 4G LTE Router MR2100 with a data sim for TV ?
An excellent ( and expensive!) router......why not try a cheaper a HUAWEI one? A number of Funsters have them ( me included), or do you have a particular use for the M2?

Mar 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
I'm a newbie
An excellent ( and expensive!) router......why not try a cheaper a HUAWEI one? A number of Funsters have them ( me included), or do you have a particular use for the M2?
Was thinking of TV and internet use (y)

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
We use a Huawei E5577 mifi with a 3 SIM card (20gb/month) and it certainly meets our needs - tv and internet - like yours. The 5577 has sockets for an external aerial if required.

OldWomble

Free Member
Feb 22, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
AS Kemerton XL
Exp
25 years
We have a Huawei 4g router with a Voxi SIM card and it works perfectly in the UK. 2 yrs ago it worked all over the Eu but for some reason last year it would not work over there. Still using it here though. I don’t know if the fault is with Huawei or Voxi

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back