Smarty unlimited. (1 Viewer)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
A months ago I changed from a Three data only contract because of the £2 a day roaming, to a Smarty unlimited phone sim, which is working fine in my Huawei B535 router.
When I had the Three contract I think the average data we used would be about 125gb but strangely with the new Smarty sim this last month we’ve used 236gb , I wouldn’t have thought we’ve used internet any differently other than maybe streaming using a Firestick mainly due to the World Cup.
I‘m not worried because that‘s why I have unlimited but just thought it strange, the phone Smarty sim still seems to be the same as the Three used to be.

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
I also changed from 3 to Smarty because of the £2 a day roaming charge. I went with 120g for £12. We have been away 3 months and its worked fine everywhere. Not used more data than I did before.

We also have a couple of the 1p Lebara sims as well in our tablets.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
We moved to Smarty as well, remember even if your on unlimited data the roaming allowance is still 12GB. We have been delighted with the flexibility of the service, you can increase, decrease or even suspend your service completely (max 6 months). It is a breath of fresh air and if you create a group, more than 1 SIM everyone get a 10% discount.

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Cheers, I know about the 12gb and the 6 month suspension but I have a £16 offer and I think if I suspend it I will lose the offer.
Still pleased with it.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
Cheers, I know about the 12gb and the 6 month suspension but I have a £16 offer and I think if I suspend it I will lose the offer.
Still pleased with it.
Yes, your right you would loose it. But if you are in Europe you don’t need the unlimited. We chop and change. We are currently in Gran Canaria and shall be here for the full 90 days so both of us only take the 12GB package as we can’t use any more. In reality we don’t need that much as we have WiFi in our villa, but based on the costs it’s fine and good to have.
One thing which did catch us out was at renewal, your phone stops working, but it does not warn you. You need to reboot your phone to get all the options back. We have had a mixture of events at renew. First time data stopped working, second time it was inability to make calls. A reset got it all back operational.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Is someone at 3 telling porkies, I did try 3 last year but found there were many ares in Norfolk/Suffolk where there was little or no 4g signal. However looking at their coverage map those areas should enjoy good coverage, indeed most of the UK does. I wonder how others have found coverage and if the have been pleased?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Just in case you aren't aware Smarty is part of the 3 group.
Think they introduced the Smarty brand so as not to "devalue" the core 3 brand.:unsure:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Is someone at 3 telling porkies, I did try 3 last year but found there were many ares in Norfolk/Suffolk where there was little or no 4g signal. However looking at their coverage map those areas should enjoy good coverage, indeed most of the UK does. I wonder how others have found coverage and if the have been pleased?
What coverage! :unsure:
Have you checked your postcode on the coverage checker?
As much use as a chocolate fireguard!
Apparently I have good 4g coverage for calls text and data! Just no signal.
I can see the pigs flying overhead.
Thanks, if they say you have everything but you have no signal I suspect their coverage checker is, shall we say, optimistic.
We have three Three masts nearby and didn't have ANY signal at one point, not even for phones, I was with ID and hubby with Three, in the end they let me out of my contract as they could see that although I should have at least 4G I had no 'traffic' so obviously couldn't use it, not even for phone calls.

I'll never ever go with them or their subsidiaries again.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
……….One thing which did catch us out was at renewal, your phone stops working, but it does not warn you. You need to reboot your phone to get all the options back. We have had a mixture of events at renew. First time data stopped working, second time it was inability to make calls. A reset got it all back operational.
What do you actually mean stewartwebr ? We’ve used smarty now for 5 months and it’s auto renewed each month without any of the problems you suggested, or am I reading your text wrong

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
What do you actually mean stewartwebr ? We’ve used smarty now for 5 months and it’s auto renewed each month without any of the problems you suggested, or am I reading your text wrong
We have had to switch our phones off and back on again twice after the contract renews to allow us to be able to use data or make calls.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
One thing which did catch us out was at renewal, your phone stops working, but it does not warn you. You need to reboot your phone to get all the options back. We have had a mixture of events at renew. First time data stopped working, second time it was inability to make calls. A reset got it all back operational.
We have been with Smarty for over a year and never had to do anything on renewal
. What phone have you got?

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
The issue of the reboot at renewal only relates to when we are roaming overseas. IPhone and Samsung, both the same issue, but only a very small issue. A restart is not much of an ask 😂

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
It’s good to hear this about Smarty as my 3 contract will be up for renewal in March and I was looking at Smarty as their add ons for Turkey and Northern Cyprus look like the cheapest and simplest way to do it without doing local Sims. We’re doing a 2 month tour.

Not a heavy user but I do like to keep in contact with my 3 little treasures (32,30 and 26), well darling daughter likes to keep in contact at least. The boys only if they want something or something goes wrong!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The issue of the reboot at renewal only relates to when we are roaming overseas. IPhone and Samsung, both the same issue, but only a very small issue. A restart is not much of an ask 😂
My Smarty in a Samsung S20 phone renewed yesterday while we are in Spain. All still working without having to reboot.

Nov 15, 2020
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Purchasing a new MH
Exp
We moved to Smarty as well, remember even if your on unlimited data the roaming allowance is still 12GB. We have been delighted with the flexibility of the service, you can increase, decrease or even suspend your service completely (max 6 months). It is a breath of fresh air and if you create a group, more than 1 SIM everyone get a 10% discount.
Hi
Just read your Smarty deals and was interested myself but on the Smarty website you get a bot rather than a human! 🤣 What is the difference between the data only or the voice plans? Doesn’t it do the same thing to do calls texts and data? Struggling to see the difference. 🫣

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Yes one covers all, the other is just data for the likes of a tablet. I’ve had lots of contact with Smarty over the App and email. It’s live chat based to a human in India I think. Good contact and not really any issues by not speaking verbally, just takes a bit longer but you can do other things whilst your waiting. 😊

WallyWalnut If you want to change PM me your email and I’ll send you link to order your sim, we both get a £10 voucher if you sign up via the link.

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi
Just read your Smarty deals and was interested myself but on the Smarty website you get a bot rather than a human! 🤣 What is the difference between the data only or the voice plans? Doesn’t it do the same thing to do calls texts and data? Struggling to see the difference. 🫣
Before I moved to Smarty, I did a live chat with them about phone sim or data only and was told it’s no problem using the phone sim ( unlimited data, calls and text) in a router. This is good because you get better deals with phone sim rather than data only.
I’ve been using the unlimited phone sim in my router for around 3 months now with no problems.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back