Shows (1 Viewer)

Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I am looking for shows I.e. steam , country, anything with something going on for a few days to have a wonder around with camping attached, done the motor home ones and looking for something else

Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
I exhibit at a few steam/country fairs - mostly up north - and get free camping. The thing I hear a lot is how expensive the camping is for a rough field with no services.
There are plenty around the country and several sites listing them, have a surf.

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
As do Shrewsbury and Masham 👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
why has the dorset steam fair finished?
did it just get too big?
The running costs apparently are getting close to £5million so ticket prices would have to increase by 70% or more to be viable but that would make many not go and end up with a financial hole.

Upvote 0
Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
why has the dorset steam fair finished?
did it just get too big?
Yup and with the running costs as aforementioned it’s not really viable. On a personal note, having been involved as a family from the days of Stourpaine Bushes, I can’t say it has been a pleasurable experience of late . Far too big, full of junk and too many of the travelling community causing issues. The security needed to protect the valuable vehicles is crazy. My friend was showing and they had to have 24 hour security around their engines. I personally saw several young adults with bolt croppers in hand and it felt quite unsafe. Such a shame as in earlier days it was a phenomenal show.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
On a personal note, having been involved as a family from the days of Stourpaine Bushes, I can’t say it has been a pleasurable experience of late . Far too big, full of junk and too many of the travelling community causing issues. The security needed to protect the valuable vehicles is crazy.
I too have been an exhibitor there, camping in my motorhome and showing my vintage m/bikes (and at many other vintage/steam/country fairs) for getting on for 30 years and my chums and I have had aggression from the travelling folk and stuff nicked off them; Magnetos, tank filler caps, badges, acetylene lamps and a couple of vintage bikes. I gave up on Dorset after being drowned in rain and mud a couple of times. So much so that I was prompted to feature it in one of my cartoons for my club magazine.......

Dorset 3 b.jpg

Upvote 0
Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I too have been an exhibitor there, camping in my motorhome and showing my vintage m/bikes (and at many other vintage/steam/country fairs) for getting on for 30 years and my chums and I have had aggression from the travelling folk and stuff nicked off them; Magnetos, tank filler caps, badges, acetylene lamps and a couple of vintage bikes. I gave up on Dorset after being drowned in rain and mud a couple of times. So much so that I was prompted to feature it in one of my cartoons for my club magazine.......

View attachment 891163
I do have fond memories of the very wet ones :roflmto: Fabulous illustration.

Upvote 0

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
Yup and with the running costs as aforementioned it’s not really viable. On a personal note, having been involved as a family from the days of Stourpaine Bushes, I can’t say it has been a pleasurable experience of late . Far too big, full of junk and too many of the travelling community causing issues. The security needed to protect the valuable vehicles is crazy. My friend was showing and they had to have 24 hour security around their engines. I personally saw several young adults with bolt croppers in hand and it felt quite unsafe. Such a shame as in earlier days it was a phenomenal show.
We did the 50th a few year's back and paid extra for the "strawberries and cream" camping area, which included ehu.
Woke up on the Friday morning to no electric in the van, traced the fault back to the fact the 415/240 transformer that was there the night previously wasn't there anymore, and it wasn't the only one that went missing during the night.
We escaped Saturday afternoon just before the rains came, but glad we got a chance to go 👍

Upvote 0

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
Whitby steam rally is quite good, £150 for the show and camping from the Wednesday until the Monday morning.
The show field is opposite the Abbey, and it's a relatively easy walk down into Whitby itself, and back up past the allotments rather than the steps.
Just play its not a wash out like last year!

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Portable generators are a frequent target even though all the campers had them chained to their vehicle. At one event a caravanner ran his all night in the belief that it would deter thieves. Fortunately he had set up remote from the rest of us in a large camping field.

Upvote 0
Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
:oops: We did the 50th a few year's back and paid extra for the "strawberries and cream" camping area, which included ehu.
Woke up on the Friday morning to no electric in the van, traced the fault back to the fact the 415/240 transformer that was there the night previously wasn't there anymore, and it wasn't the only one that went missing during the night.
We escaped Saturday afternoon just before the rains came, but glad we got a chance to go 👍
Spoilt everything. It changed behind all recognition.

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Waiting to hear from the organisers that Henham is definitely going ahead this year. As soon as I do, I will pop it on here.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We went to a Fun Rally at Pembrey, although we had our own field, & Marque & entertainment thanks to the funsters running it, there was also a steam/classic car, motorbike rally/fairground running over that weekend, it was pretty big, and it was great to see all the steam cars running arround the Pembrey grounds.
So we not only had a great Fun Rally, but had free entry to the showground to see all the exhibitors during our stay.
The trains were great, as was the funfair, but the piste de resistance for me was the massive music box trailer, I had never seen one that large before, and the range of music & instruments it played was truly amazing.
Here is link to the Pembrey Steam Fair, they have a campsite, plus there is a CMC site near the entrance.
LES

Upvote 0
OP
OP
dulvil
Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Only one we have been to is strumpshaw and had a good weekend so thanks for more suggestions

Upvote 0
May 23, 2021
Beds.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Harmony
Exp
Since 2021...

Fairly local to you too, i think. There's overnight camping Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Upvote 0
May 23, 2021
Beds.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Harmony
Exp
Since 2021...
Here is a link to stotfold camping
I dunno if there's still availability, we booked a while ago!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
dulvil
Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks

Fairly local to you too, i think. There's overnight camping Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
forgot about that one nice and close

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
I am looking for shows I.e. steam , country, anything with something going on for a few days to have a wonder around with camping attached, done the motor home ones and looking for something else
Theres Campervan Campout this weekend coming (too late to get the £150 for the weekend price though, it's £200 now).

Despite the name, open to Motorhomes, lots of us going, and is a bit different from the "normal" Warners shows as it has music throughout day if you check the lineup, almongst many activities... it's more "activity" focussed than the "normal" shows from our understanding.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back