Should I Opt for High or Low Voltage Batteries? (Home Solar) (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Following on from my post at the foot of this thread, I have to decide what to do?

The Installers fitted the Wrong Specification of Inverter, they fitted a Goodwe High Voltage version.

I was intending to buy the Fogstar 15kw Low Voltage Battery and bring it to Spain. But the logistics of getting it here, warranty issues and self install, I decided not to. I was then going to consider obtaining low voltage batteries here in Spain (someone linked me to a supplier but I cant find there reply).

I have finally got the installers to agree to change the inverter, leave it or have this system fitted

€6,000 for 10kw fitted.

Seems High Voltage batteries are pricier, but better performing.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I don't know much about the high voltage batteries, but I would be wary for your setup. The HV batteries presumably need high voltage strings of solar panels. You say the panels will be split between East, South and West facing roof sections. So they may have difficulty maintaining a consistently high voltage level. The 48V battery may be better in that situation. But you'll need a different inverter - a hybrid one with a charger built in.

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I don't know much about the high voltage batteries, but I would be wary for your setup. The HV batteries presumably need high voltage strings of solar panels. You say the panels will be split between East, South and West facing roof sections. So they may have difficulty maintaining a consistently high voltage level. The 48V battery may be better in that situation. But you'll need a different inverter - a hybrid one with a charger built in.
Thank you

Google is my friend for hybrid inverters

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Good point, HV battery inverter usualy runs on string of 600-850VDC. A 48v only needs 90v to wake up the inverter, or 120v to produce power. 👍

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Deye or SunSynk is your best choice as it stands for 48v hybrid grid tied.
Victron works to, but you have to keep the existing and the victron works with it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
A 6 kW hybrid inverter can be had for less than a thousand euro

5 kW Battery 1400 euro