Short break in North Devon'ish. (1 Viewer)

Nov 10, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Started in 2013
Hoping to get away for a short tour (two weeks) in the area of North Devon,ish.

Starting around Bideford/Croyde and venturing into the Quantocks/Somerset.

We haven't spent much time in this area and are looking for recommendations for sites, we are members of the CC&C but are happy with other stop overs of interest. We like smallish sites (Cs's) don't care about to much about facilities but we do like to "plug in" when possible.

If you have any experience of this area we would love to here from you.

Thanks
Ray n Sue

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 yearsā€¦.
We went to Woolacombe a few weeks back for 4 nights. Lovely site with massive pitches and if you have a dog a very large dog walk area with a dog showeršŸ˜³ food truck on site most nights, there is a bus stop outside.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We spent a few days at Damage Barton. Site was fine, and a good bus service from outside but be aware it does not run on Sundays and if I remember correctly Wednesdays. We stood at the bus stop for ages before giving up. There was not a timetable at the bus stop. People were walking out hear there and everywhere, but I wasn't able to do that. Down hill going but uphill coming back.

https://www.damagebarton.co.uk/

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There are a couple of sites at Minehead. I've stayed at the CMC site there but there is a site just to the west of the town on the road to Selworthy Beacon which is in a much better location with good walking directly from the site. I haven't stayed there so can't comment on anything other than the location.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
We spent a few days at Damage Barton. Site was fine, and a good bus service from outside but be aware it does not run on Sundays and if I remember correctly Wednesdays. We stood at the bus stop for ages before giving up. There was not a timetable at the bus stop. People were walking out hear there and everywhere, but I wasn't able to do that. Down hill going but uphill coming back.

For future reference, Google maps is brilliant for planning bus journeys. Just select ā€˜directionsā€™ and the public transport option.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Northmorte farm
Willingcot camc
Warcombe farm
Damage Barton
Hidden valley
Easwell farm
Lobb fields
Bay view farm
Cherry tree
Lots of CLā€™s in the area also šŸ‘
Car parks for overnighting in
Appledore
Westward ho
Bideford
Barnstaple šŸ‘
There are also lots of other sites in the North Devon area.

Last edited:

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
For future reference, Google maps is brilliant for planning bus journeys. Just select ā€˜directionsā€™ and the public transport option.
Thanks Janine. I had used it but the bus service operator had changed only a short while before according to reception when ai queried it. Google maps was showing it as running. This was about 3-4 years ago I think.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 yearsā€¦.

That site was next door to mešŸ˜
Taxi back is Ā£8 I had a return bus ticket but it seems their bus time table is just a might turn up at that time onešŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ after our bus driver told us he was not our bus driver despite having the correct number on his bus I rang for the taxišŸ˜šŸ˜

Feb 2, 2022
Hartland, Bideford, Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Ixeo 1744
Exp
Iā€™m newbie
Hartland north devon has a few camp sites around , ideal location for coastal walks etc , clovelley is nice place to visit cobblestones pathway down to harbour with pub , but you need to be mobile as itā€™s quite a steep walk back up to car park area ( they used to run a land rover services to run people back to car park used to be 50 p ) ?? and as mentioned you can over night in car park , donā€™t think there any facilities though. Apart from toilet during opening hours .
Westward ho area there a place called northern burrows
Which is a conservation area with horses and pony sheep wondering around and you can park right next to beach but itā€™s pebble beach but loads of sand when tide goes out , also a cafe there. Ideal for surfing
Around Ā£6 a day up and till 10pm but no over nighting here .
You Would need to double check times and prices .

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Already mentioned;

I like;

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We use Damage Barton a lot, we ask for the X plots, which are at the top and near the shop and the gate. Bus at the gate takes you to Ilfracoome , Barnstaple or Woolacoombe

Apr 12, 2024
Cambridge, UK
Funster No
MH
LMC Liberty 652
Exp
Many Years
Yep just returned from Hidden Valley Holiday Park and I highly recommend it. Bus stops right outside the entrance and only Ā£3.90 return to Ilfracombe. Not far from there we stayed at the small but well kept Sunnylin site. Very pleasant and a short walk along the footpath to Lynton and the water powered Funicular Railway. Fish and Chips in Lynmouth are excellent but you need a bank loan.

Oct 22, 2023
Rowley Regis, West Midlands, UK
Funster No
MH
AT F60 on order
Exp
Awaiting delivery of new MH, ordered at NEC Oct 2023
Hartland north devon has a few camp sites around , ideal location for coastal walks etc , clovelley is nice place to visit cobblestones pathway down to harbour with pub , but you need to be mobile as itā€™s quite a steep walk back up to car park area ( they used to run a land rover services to run people back to car park used to be 50 p ) ?? and as mentioned you can over night in car park , donā€™t think there any facilities though. Apart from toilet during opening hours .
Westward ho area there a place called northern burrows
Which is a conservation area with horses and pony sheep wondering around and you can park right next to beach but itā€™s pebble beach but loads of sand when tide goes out , also a cafe there. Ideal for surfing
Around Ā£6 a day up and till 10pm but no over nighting here .
You Would need to double check times and prices .
We were at Clovelly last week. The land rover service is running, Ā£1.50 per person.

OP, if you venture the other way, to Tintagel, there are a few car parks that allow overnight. The King Arthur pub currently has 15 spaces on grass for Ā£5 from 5pm to 10am. Quite a few on there when we looked.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back