LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Has anybody had their dog to a vet to have a seed taken from their dogs ear hole..????????

Judy just phoned and they had to put Daisy to sleep/sedate to get one from her ear which had worked it`s way down to some canal... :(

How much have you paid.????

You tell me and in half an hour I will tell how much Judy got charged... :crying1:

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Why didnt you turn out your empty pockets, and offer a £1 a week?:giggle:
Seed in lug hole eh?, would that be a seed of wisdom?, if so can you send me some?
Wifey would be pleased.
LES

Last edited:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Cost of the anaesthetic.
Cost of the vet and use of Otoscope
Cost of the attending nurse.
Cost of time for anesthetic recovery.
Cost of sundries antibiotics and follow up.

No change from 180 Guineas, depends how long it took to get it, maybe loads more. :gum:

Poor doggy, poor VeryOldPensioners wallet.

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
As you say she's worth it.

We paid around 70 euros last year in France when Margo had a soft lump come up on her cheek, turned out a grass seed had gone down in her mouth/gum and then the sharp bit went through the cheek skin into the sort of next layer. The vet popped it and thought she had got rid of it, we could never seem to get it to heal properly, it was right on the cheek bone area so it would almost dry up then a extra wide yawn, she does a lot of that lol, and it would split open again. anyway about 10 days later we where sitting on a bench and I thought I could see a hair dried in the scab, gave it a gentle pull and out popped the grass seed still in one piece and about 2cm in length, within 24 hours it had all dried up.

When we were in Portugal helping out on a smallholding our host was always paying visits to the vet with the three dogs with seeds in some very delicate areas but the ears were always the most problematic she spent a fortune there. ended up having the whole area around the house turned into a big patio and the grass dog paddock I trimmed to death to try to minimise seed spread.

Shawn

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Slightly off topic as it is me.

I had a wisdom tooth removed and part of the root started growing out of the side of my gum. It was annoying.. Very.

The dentist said I may need local anaesthetic etc to sort the root out.

After a week I got it out myself by tugging with tweezers. It turns out it was a flax seed which had stuck in my gum and seemed quite happy there. :(

Deleted User
movan I couldn't find the correct emoji to add. But arrrrgh!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
DBM 7150
Exp
Since 2016
Happened to our dog when she was much younger on holiday in Devon late one evening. Couldn't stand up, couldn't walk straight. Called emergency vet, they thought it was a snake bite, finally traced it to a seed in her ear, can't remember the figure but we went home the next day, holiday curtailed:cry::cry:

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
On an aire in France someone told us to keep the dog away from the grass as it was the sort likely to get in his ears. I think the problem is that it is smooth if you run your fingers over it one way but sticks the other way so it tends to work futher and further in.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
The flax seed was sprinkled on my breakfast cereal. It's healthy for us old uns don't ya know. X

Don`t sound very healthy to me...:giggler:

I`ll give them a miss thank you...

Don`t want some old bush growing in my gob.. :(

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Slightly off topic as it is me.

I had a wisdom tooth removed and part of the root started growing out of the side of my gum. It was annoying.. Very.

The dentist said I may need local anaesthetic etc to sort the root out.

After a week I got it out myself by tugging with tweezers. It turns out it was a flax seed which had stuck in my gum and seemed quite happy there. :(
Mo! How could you! :)

The flax seed was sprinkled on my breakfast cereal. It's healthy for us old uns don't ya know. X
I eat a lot of seeds in my diet, I’m going to be more careful in future. Normally though I put milled flaxseed on my breakfast.

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
IMAG0016(1).jpg

IMAG0017(1).jpg

I can't remember what this cost as it was years ago but Beech developed a tennis ball sized lump on her side. One operation and they cut it open a bit and drained it but found nothing. Closed it up but it got bad again so back into surgery and they went deeper and found this beauty right down in the muscle.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Our first dog had both her ear canals completely blocked and pregnant when we adopedted her. She had been on the run for a long time
The vet open the canals leaving them open from top to bottom after the pups left. The smell was dreadful for a couple of weeks needing them cleaning twice a day.
We were lucky the vet was very understanding letting us pay monthly. I can’t remember how much but it was a lot of money.
I will never see a pet suffer no matter what it costs any more than our children.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Happened to my Granddaughter's Bichon Frise. Thank god we had the dog insured, cost hundreds of pounds, in vet fees and was removed under anesthetics deep in the ear canal. Poor dog was in a lot of pain and then had to do a course of antibiotics. All well now.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
found this beauty right down in the muscle.
................................................................ "Ouch"...:frowny:

Well thanks for all the comments....:hugs:

Seems only right I should name the vet, as it seems they are reasonable reading some of your stories..

Vet`s 4 Pet`s...(y)

They have looked after her from the day we got her...

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
It cost us £150 for removal of a grass seed from Benji’s ear as sedation was necessary.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back