SEAT BELTS - or lack of (1 Viewer)

Jan 24, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Sold 😟
Exp
1990-2023
This is from today’s Telegraph, to be honest, I was always under the impression that motorhomes/camper vans if they had seatbelts they had to be fitted to the chassis.

INQUEST
Motorhome crash deaths bring call for seatbelt law
DAILY TELEGRAPH REPORTER
A CORONER has called for mandatory seatbelts in the back of motorhomes after a mother and her two young children died in a crash.
Coroner Alison Norton urged the government to introduce new laws around seatbelts in camper vans following the triple tragedy.
An inquest heard Shirley Hunt, 44, and her children Ellie, nine, and Oscar, five, all died in the freak crash in Yorkshire while returning from a family holiday.
Mrs Hunt and Ellie were not wearing seatbelts, it was heard.
The pair were sitting in the rear living area of the converted van and suffered multiple injuries which were “not survivable” and died instantly. Under existing laws, there is no legal obligation to have seatbelts fitted in the back of motorhomes.
Ms Norton has now written to Mark Harper, the Transport Secretary Mark Harper MP, calling for a law change.
Ms Norton, assistant coroner for York and North Yorkshire, said more people’s lives are at risk under current laws.
The Northallerton inquest heard on August 24, 2021, the Hunt family’s motorhome crashed on the A64 in Barton Hill, north Yorks.
A tyre blew out, causing it to crash into a stationary HGV.
Mrs Hunt’s husband Craig had been driving but survived, as did their six-year-old son. The pair, who were wearing seatbelts, suffered serious injuries.
Oscar was also wearing a seatbelt but died as a result of his injuries.
Ms Norton said although experts cannot be sure if Mrs Hunt and Ellie would have survived had they been wearing one, changes must be made to the law.
Ms Norton said in her report: “In my opinion there is a risk that future deaths could occur unless action is taken.
“Evidence given during the inquest indicated that there is no legal obligation for seat belts to be fitted in the rear areas of motorhomes.
“Whilst it was not possible to establish whether [Mrs Hunt and Ellie] would have survived the impact if [they] had been wearing a seatbelt, I am concerned that adults and children over three years can travel in the rear areas of motorhomes without restraint , and that in doing so, this may create a risk to life.”
The coroner said Mr Harper, Tory MP for Forest of Dean, has a duty to respond to her concerns by May 15.
The report was also sent to North Yorkshire Police

—-

There is not enough information about the vehicle itself, to draw any conclusion, but it should be a warning to people who wish to transport any person without a seatbelt.

Especially those on the side of vehicles and the back, where generally speaking it is not possible to retrofit the anchoring needed for a seatbelt. There are several upmarkets motorhomes do actually turn a side seat around to make them a safe to travel with a seatbelt..

It’s extremely sad for the family for both those that they died and those that have survived with injuries, by the looks of it they should not have been travelling in it anyway.

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
It was a self build/van conversion and when this accident was discussed on here there appeared to be conflicting information about whether such a van should have seat belts fitted in the rear or not.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
It was a self build/van conversion and when this accident was discussed on here there appeared to be conflicting information about whether such a van should have seat belts fitted in the rear or not.
I dont undersatnd why the Mot check doesn't include dates of the tyres that would actually have removed the cause of this tragedy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
This is from today’s Telegraph, to be honest, I was always under the impression that motorhomes/camper vans if they had seatbelts they had to be fitted to the chassis.

INQUEST
Motorhome crash deaths bring call for seatbelt law
DAILY TELEGRAPH REPORTER
A CORONER has called for mandatory seatbelts in the back of motorhomes after a mother and her two young children died in a crash.
Coroner Alison Norton urged the government to introduce new laws around seatbelts in camper vans following the triple tragedy.
An inquest heard Shirley Hunt, 44, and her children Ellie, nine, and Oscar, five, all died in the freak crash in Yorkshire while returning from a family holiday.
Mrs Hunt and Ellie were not wearing seatbelts, it was heard.
The pair were sitting in the rear living area of the converted van and suffered multiple injuries which were “not survivable” and died instantly. Under existing laws, there is no legal obligation to have seatbelts fitted in the back of motorhomes.
Ms Norton has now written to Mark Harper, the Transport Secretary Mark Harper MP, calling for a law change.
Ms Norton, assistant coroner for York and North Yorkshire, said more people’s lives are at risk under current laws.
The Northallerton inquest heard on August 24, 2021, the Hunt family’s motorhome crashed on the A64 in Barton Hill, north Yorks.
A tyre blew out, causing it to crash into a stationary HGV.
Mrs Hunt’s husband Craig had been driving but survived, as did their six-year-old son. The pair, who were wearing seatbelts, suffered serious injuries.
Oscar was also wearing a seatbelt but died as a result of his injuries.
Ms Norton said although experts cannot be sure if Mrs Hunt and Ellie would have survived had they been wearing one, changes must be made to the law.
Ms Norton said in her report: “In my opinion there is a risk that future deaths could occur unless action is taken.
“Evidence given during the inquest indicated that there is no legal obligation for seat belts to be fitted in the rear areas of motorhomes.
“Whilst it was not possible to establish whether [Mrs Hunt and Ellie] would have survived the impact if [they] had been wearing a seatbelt, I am concerned that adults and children over three years can travel in the rear areas of motorhomes without restraint , and that in doing so, this may create a risk to life.”
The coroner said Mr Harper, Tory MP for Forest of Dean, has a duty to respond to her concerns by May 15.
The report was also sent to North Yorkshire Police

—-

There is not enough information about the vehicle itself, to draw any conclusion, but it should be a warning to people who wish to transport any person without a seatbelt.

Especially those on the side of vehicles and the back, where generally speaking it is not possible to retrofit the anchoring needed for a seatbelt. There are several upmarkets motorhomes do actually turn a side seat around to make them a safe to travel with a seatbelt..

It’s extremely sad for the family for both those that they died and those that have survived with injuries, by the looks of it they should not have been travelling in it anyway.

When I had seatbelts retrofitted to one of my Double Deckers, to be certified, they did not have to be fitted to the chassis BUT they did have to pass a strain test.

In other words, if there was a head on collision, the belted passenger and the seat, would have to withstand the G-Force generated by the accident and remain in situ.
What this G-Force was, I can't remember.

With regards to tyre age, there is a 10yr maximum ruling but this only applies to commercial vehicles, not private.

Mar 22, 2023
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
This is tragic and a real reminder that everyone travelling in a MH or any other vehicle must wear seat belts even if there is a quirk in the law that allows travelling without wearing the belts.

I would remind everyone of the Princess Diana crash, if she had been wearing the seat belt she would have survived, the rear passenger cell of the car was intact, the only survivor was the security detail (Rees Jones I think) who was in the front and wearing his belt.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back