Sargent EC 328 (1 Viewer)

Aug 24, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail savannah
Exp
Good afternoon Funsters
have searched the forum but can’t find a complete answer to what I’m trying to do, so any help appreciated.
I have a Sargent EC 328 in my motorhome and we all know how limited these can be as I want to upgrade to lithium and this control panel is dated and can’t maintain lithium correctly also old inbuilt solar charger. So does anyone know if you can leave the EC328 main panel to manage the wiring 12/240v and install an MPPT solar unit and charger externally done in a way the above habitation door panel still monitors from the EC328. Thankyou.

OP
OP
garysavannah
Aug 24, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail savannah
Exp
Have you spoken to www.sargentltd.co.uk , as their support section suggests that the charger in your EC328 ( a PX300 unit ) may be able to be used with some lithium batteries.
That’s helpful Thankyou hopefully it can, I’ve also discovered there is a limitation to the AH that can be connected as I intend to purchase a lithium with 420ah and externally fit an MPPT solar controller but hopefully still wired through the EC328.

OP
OP
garysavannah
Aug 24, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail savannah
Exp
Far better to wire the Solar controller direct to the batteries and replace the mains charger with a Victron IP22. Then fit a Victron Smart Shunt or BMV712 to monitor the batteries.
Cheers Lenny so install as much as you can away from the EC328. I’m ok with installing as you’ve said my confusion is the existing unit and doing this with the existing wiring. Can you shed any light as to an install as you’ve said with original cables

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
garysavannah
Aug 24, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail savannah
Exp
I think that the EC328 built in charger may also be the power converter which provides DC power to the leisure equipment ,when on EHU , so this may need to be taken into consideration .
I may need to leave this intact and only disconnect the charging cable to the leisure battery.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Cheers Lenny so install as much as you can away from the EC328. I’m ok with installing as you’ve said my confusion is the existing unit and doing this with the existing wiring. Can you shed any light as to an install as you’ve said with original cables
Sorry I don't know much about the Sargent units apart from the fact they use way undersize cables.

OP
OP
garysavannah
Aug 24, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail savannah
Exp
Sorry I don't know much about the Sargent units apart from the fact they use way undersize cables.
I will check all the cable sizing out but will be going with your suggestions so thanks for that input Lenny 👍

Jan 5, 2014
tetbury
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Expedition
Exp
Long time
Do you have a "smart" alternator?
Do have a split charge relay?
I have done what you want to do, but not necessarily with the exact same setup you have!
First thing is to contact Sargent telling them exactly what you have and what you want to do! They supplied me with a suggested circuit diagram and it was how I installed my separate Fogstar leisure battery, but was still able to use the Sargent unit. I did however fit a separate Victron mains charger!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
garysavannah
Aug 24, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail savannah
Exp
I have done what you want to do, but not necessarily with the exact same setup you have!
First thing is to contact Sargent telling them exactly what you have and what you want to do! They supplied me with a suggested circuit diagram and it was how I installed my separate Fogstar leisure battery, but was still able to use the Sargent unit. I did however fit a separate Victron mains charger!
Sorry jwells
sorry jwells
I seemed to have missed your reply, the dramas are still continuing although I’m slightly further forward, I am talking to Sargent now 👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back