May 30, 2013
Vale of Glamorgan, Barry, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2010
Hi all
Thinking of buying a large Safefill cylinder, especially for travelling in Europe. However while there appears to be lots of partners in the UK on their website map there are none in France/Spain. I know the continent is much more “turned on“ to LPG and had assumed it would be easy but now not so sure.
Any experience Continent and UK on refilling Safefill would be appreciated.
Thanks and Happy Motorhoming!

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
There is a Facebook group for Safefill.
I have used them for 3-4 years now but have a local independant where i fill and usually leave home with 2 full 10kg bottles.
Only ever filled once in Germany, no issues.

You read lots of posts both ways, some saying they have been refused but then go down the road and the next garage lets you fill.
Also i have read on here of people with fixed systems like gaslo and a body mounted filler also being refused.

The safefill map is not very acurate. Better with apps like mylpg.eu, filllpg and autogas.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We often fill up LPG in Europe without many problems. But not sure how they would react filling a bottle directly rather than via an external fill point, like we have. I am sure you will have problems in Italy, where it is clearly illegal. Refused in Northern Italy, but the further you get down the more lax they get.

If you are going to try it remember to buy the full conversion kit, because fill points are different in different countries, and in some places in Portugal and Spain they differ on different garages! Only the Dutch use the bayonet fitting we have in the UK.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
If you are going to try it remember to buy the full conversion kit, because fill points are different in different countries, and in some places in Portugal and Spain they differ on different garages! Only the Dutch use the bayonet fitting we have in the UK.

(y)
AND... Make sure they are Safefill with left hand propane POL thread NOT the standard ones used on gaslow etc..

May 29, 2020
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Exp
Since March 2024
Having ordered a Safefill bottle for my soon to arrive van, I've found this thread amongst others about filling up the red gas bottle. I'm wondering if others can share their experience of filling them abroad as I've just read an article from a French Motorhome magazine saying that any LPG bottle must be homologated and must be permanentaly fixed to the vehicle. "Fixed to the vehicle" then eliminates Safefill bottles which explains why they are not distributed in France or maybe even the whole of the EU.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2016
We have a safefill bottle and have filled it many times in France and Spain with no problems. We turn the gas off , put the adapter on and turn the bottle so it can be accessed without having to remove it beforehand. At the garage it's then just a case of opening the locker door and connecting up the pump.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I have only ever had to fill once while in Germany. Like Stinkie above I had the bottle all ready before hand so all I had to do was open locker door and fill.
There are many posts about not being able to fill in many countries and even to vehicles fitted with filling point built into the side of the vans. So it's not just Safefill.

May 29, 2020
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Exp
Since March 2024
The gas locker in the van can only be accessed by sliding the bed so that won't be possible for me! IMG_1914.jpeg

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back