Rumours about dropping C1 test (1 Viewer)

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I keep hearing rumours about C1 being dropped from the licence requirement.

This would mean Lucy can also drive up to 7.5t so we can uprate our van so that we aren’t struggling all the time to stay under the legal limits.

This in my view is great news for those of us with families who always struggle with weight.

Has anyone heard anything concrete or have any more information about the change?

I also need to find someone who can possibly do the uprating.

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Thanks both, will drop VWE an email.

I won’t commit till confirmed as I also like to be a passenger. :)

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It'll really would cause some funsters to have palpitations 😄 those who have told kids etc that they can't borrow the MH as they don't have a C1 to drive it. 😆

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
To be fair the dropping of B+E requirements has seemingly made naff all difference to safety. It would be interesting to see the stats.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2011
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 120
Exp
Since 2002
It's been spoken about for some time. All I can say is that those of us with grandfather rights didn't go around crashing into things because we were "out of our depth". In fact my first 5 driving lessons were in a Bedford 4 Tonner (MJ series), then a 1 ton Landrover, then 110 and 90 Landrover before doing my test in a Mini Metro. A week later I was driving a 1 Ton LR pulling a trailer with a missile launcher on the back valued at c£10-15m in todays money.

Upvote 0
Jul 25, 2022
Newington, Sittingbourne, Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
July 2022
Hmmmm. It would certainly make the re-sell market more open for though of us over 3500kg and my partner could also share the driving...however, as Minxy said, I like the idea that family and friends can confidently be told "sorry, your not qualified"

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It's been spoken about for some time. All I can say is that those of us with grandfather rights didn't go around crashing into things because we were "out of our depth". In fact my first 5 driving lessons were in a Bedford 4 Tonner (MJ series), then a 1 ton Landrover, then 110 and 90 Landrover before doing my test in a Mini Metro. A week later I was driving a 1 Ton LR pulling a trailer with a missile launcher on the back valued at c£10-15m in todays money.
But we didn't have the amount of traffic on the roads at the time nor the much faster vehicles of today, having seen how some rental MHs are driven by idiots who think they are in a car giving them a heavier one to play with is frightening.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
It wouldn't be heavier it just wouldn't be overloaded.
Not if they can then hire larger ones over 3500kg ... Can you imagine how much they'd try to cram in to ones with massive garages etc! 😱

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2011
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 120
Exp
Since 2002
So many MHs are produced on the weight limit, weighed with no water etc. Many of the maxi chassis used are capable of being rated to 4.5T. I fail to see how a maxi chassis downrated to 3.5T (and possibly technically overweight) is unsafe compared to being used below the permitted max chassis weight?

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not really as it's about levelling up the payload for working vans, battery/electric are heaviers so not much use for delivering at 3500kg.
Yes it is as they are allowed to drive a heavier van, regardless of the weight being made up of load or batteries they are still driving a 4.25t van on a B license.

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Yes it is as they are allowed to drive a heavier van, regardless of the weight being made up of load or batteries they are still driving a 4.25t van on a B license.
For commercial purposes only though, not including private use at this time. I do think its time that limits for motorhomes were separated from commercials, the usage is completely different as is the sense of responsibility of the driver.

Same as the LEZ regs, its ridiculous to treat a low mileage vehicle the same as a high mileage one.

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Do not hold your breath expecting this to apply to Motorhomes any time soon.

The key elements of the revised regulations are:
”The Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) (Amendment) Regulations 2018 (the 2018 Regulations) made changes to the law to allow Category B licence holders to drive an alternatively fuelled vehicle that weighs between 3.5 and 4.25 tonnes, provided it is not driven outside of Great Britain, used for the transportation of goods, is not towing a trailer and the driver has completed a minimum of 5 hours training.”
Full details at….. https://assets.publishing.service.g...uidance-category-b-licence-requirements-1.pdf

Upvote 0
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
The min 5hours training/instruction will put a lot off. At 3850kgs in full holiday trim with both Ebikes we are limited to 50% fresh water, not a major issue, but I wonder how some of the larger 3500kgs manage especially if children are included. Not saying it can’t be done but must be a tight squeeze.
Using the same argument why not increase the standard C License to 3850, it’d give everyone a fighting chance without constantly worrying about being pulled over.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
The min 5hours training/instruction will put a lot off. At 3850kgs in full holiday trim with both Ebikes we are limited to 50% fresh water, not a major issue, but I wonder how some of the larger 3500kgs manage especially if children are included. Not saying it can’t be done but must be a tight squeeze.
Using the same argument why not increase the standard C License to 3850, it’d give everyone a fighting chance without constantly worrying about being pulled over.
Isn’t that just for electric vehicles currently? I suspect there won’t be a restriction if C1 is dropped altogether?

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We have been hearing rumors about that for quite a few years, with more e-vans coming into use there may be some light at the end of the tunnel.
Need to renew our C1's this year.
I don't think e-vans come into it.
They will probably increase the 3500kg GVW for electric powered vans ONLY to maybe 4250kg to account for battery weight but still drivable on a B licence.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back