Reverse engaging (?) going into 1st gear (Fiat) (1 Viewer)

Jul 31, 2018
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built

We have a Hymer Free 600 on a Fiat chassis (2023) and we have two intermittent issues. I’m posting these separately.​

Sometimes when attempting to shift down the gears to 1st, the reversing camera comes on, and the beep sounds. When this happens, I keep the clutch pedal fully to the floor. I normally have to attempt getting into 1st or 2nd several times. Sometimes I have to set off in 2nd gear.

I don’t know if reverse gear is engaged, or whether it’s a false indication. Either way, it’s not great.

No joy with the Fiat dealer, as it is difficult to demonstrate the issue

Has anyone experienced this issue?

(The other issue is the electric parking brake not disengaging on hills)

Thanks in advance

Nov 15, 2023
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I presume it’s manual ? I don’t think I’ve ever changed down into 1st gear, I only engage 1st when stationary, I may have done up a very steep hill doing less than 5 mph, is this something new or has it been happening a while, is it still under dealer warranty?

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Have you a dash cam? If so, point it to the gear stick, or possibly even the dash of you can move it to cover? While you lose the dashcam benefit for a while, you should eventually capture the problem on video to show to the Fiat dealer.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Why are you trying to change down to first gear ?
First is for pulling away from stationary, 5 mph then straight into second.

Or is this a comfortmatic technique ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Its not selecting reverse , you would know about that very quickly , even trying to engage, more than likely its rev switch adjustment or linkage adjustment.

Upvote 0
Nov 21, 2021
Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote G690D
Exp
Since 2020

We have a Hymer Free 600 on a Fiat chassis (2023) and we have two intermittent issues. I’m posting these separately.​

Sometimes when attempting to shift down the gears to 1st, the reversing camera comes on, and the beep sounds. When this happens, I keep the clutch pedal fully to the floor. I normally have to attempt getting into 1st or 2nd several times. Sometimes I have to set off in 2nd gear.

I don’t know if reverse gear is engaged, or whether it’s a false indication. Either way, it’s not great.

Thanks in advance
Hi
My 2022 Fiat had an issue where I could select reverse without lifting the gear stick, it was dangerous as I sometimes it went into reverse when I thought I was in 1st.
Got it adjusted at Adam Morey all good now.

Upvote 0
Nov 21, 2021
Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote G690D
Exp
Since 2020

Thanks in advance
If you pop off the leather/pvc gear stick cover you can see if the mechanism is against the plate when selecting first. Mine wasn’t, it would select reverse if tight against the plate.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
dusty100
Jul 31, 2018
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Hi all

Sorry for the delay in replying. We went away.

If you pop off the leather/pvc gear stick cover you can see if the mechanism is against the plate when selecting first. Mine wasn’t, it would select reverse if tight against the plate.

Thank you for this..very useful!

---

Its manual

To clarify, I'm talking about selecting 1st only a metre or two before coming to a complete stop. I'm doing this knowing that I'll need to pull away again shortly after. However, the clutch is still engaged (but when selecting 1st I get the audio cue and reversing camera on)

I think its happened since the autumn but its very rare and we've hardly used the van until May. I wanted to be sure what's happening before going to our Fiat garage

I will try to use a sports cam to record both these issues

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Yes. Even with modern all synchro gearboxes, unless proficient at double declutching, you will eventually wear our the synchro on that gear and put additional strain on the gearbox.

Never had syncro on 1st when I learnt to drive. Old habits die hard.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Hi all

Sorry for the delay in replying. We went away.

Thank you for this..very useful!

---

Its manual

To clarify, I'm talking about selecting 1st only a metre or two before coming to a complete stop. I'm doing this knowing that I'll need to pull away again shortly after. However, the clutch is still engaged (but when selecting 1st I get the audio cue and reversing camera on)

I think its happened since the autumn but its very rare and we've hardly used the van until May. I wanted to be sure what's happening before going to our Fiat garage

I will try to use a sports cam to record both these issues
First is so low you don't need to use when coming to a stop.
If there is any motion at all I use second. Second is also very low.
The box is going to struggle synchromesh wise trying to select first under motion.
The synchro will block out if the speed is too high, in other words the lever will not go into position.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2023
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
ADRIA MATRIX 600SL
Exp
1st timer since Jan 2023
Your handbrake issue sounds like the hill start assist. It holds the brakes on for about one and a half seconds.

Geoff
Yes, called "Hill Hold" Is normal, will disengage after it senses forward movement 👌

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2023
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
ADRIA MATRIX 600SL
Exp
1st timer since Jan 2023

Thanks in advance
Sound's like youve been doing this a long time and caused wear to something, possibly damaged the 1st/Reverse gate protective gate, which will cause hard forward gear selection.
I would also replace the reverse light switch, just in case 👌

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back