Removing rear travel seat frame work. (1 Viewer)

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
Saw a thread on this last week., but cannot find it now.
Looking at the new Ford based motorhomes. Most come with the new type of pop up rear travel seats. There are only two of us and have no intention of taking passengers, but would really appreciate more storage.
For the folks who have removed the framework, how did you do it and did you take any pics.
Thanks in advance.

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
Saw a thread on this last week., but cannot find it now.
Looking at the new Ford based motorhomes. Most come with the new type of pop up rear travel seats. There are only two of us and have no intention of taking passengers, but would really appreciate more storage.
For the folks who have removed the framework, how did you do it and did you take any pics.
Thanks in advance.
I removed the travel seat and boxing on one side of my Bailey Adamo to give us more space on a recent trip to Spain. It was a very easy process and I took pics of each stage. I saved about 30kg and used the extra space for stowing my awning and spare wheel. I looked at doing the same on the other side but underneath the seat was a whole bunch of electrics. One word of warning, if you take a fold down seat out you lose the base for the seating cushions. So unless you construct a replacement framework to support the cushion squab you will lose the use of the seat.

Upvote 0

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
I removed the travel seat and boxing on one side of my Bailey Adamo to give us more space on a recent trip to Spain. It was a very easy process and I took pics of each stage. I saved about 30kg and used the extra space for stowing my awning and spare wheel. I looked at doing the same on the other side but underneath the seat was a whole bunch of electrics. One word of warning, if you take a fold down seat out you lose the base for the seating cushions. So unless you construct a replacement framework to support the cushion squab you will lose the use of the seat.
There are four large bolts in the base of the seat frame. You need to get under the side of your van and put a spanner on the nuts that come through the floor. Then undo the bolts from the top. When the frame is released you need to put the bolts and nuts back in place to hold the reinforced plate under the floor. It does mean that you have four bolt heads sticking out of the floor but that should not present any problems. There are two further bolts holding the frame in front of the seat. These do not go through the floor and can simply be stowed somewhere. I would advise putting something in the bolt hole to stop them filling up with dust/grit etc. Before and after pics below.

Seat 1.jpg
seat 2.jpg

Upvote 0

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
There are four large bolts in the base of the seat frame. You need to get under the side of your van and put a spanner on the nuts that come through the floor. Then undo the bolts from the top. When the frame is released you need to put the bolts and nuts back in place to hold the reinforced plate under the floor. It does mean that you have four bolt heads sticking out of the floor but that should not present any problems. There are two further bolts holding the frame in front of the seat. These do not go through the floor and can simply be stowed somewhere. I would advise putting something in the bolt hole to stop them filling up with dust/grit etc. Before and after pics below.

View attachment 892507View attachment 892508
When the frames were out. I had no way of putting a seat back on top of the box. It was then that I decided to take all the boxing out to open up a huge space. In the pic below you will see that there are not many screws to remove.
seat 3.jpg

Upvote 0

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
When the frames were out. I had no way of putting a seat back on top of the box. It was then that I decided to take all the boxing out to open up a huge space. In the pic below you will see that there are not many screws to remove.View attachment 892511
After taking the boxing out I then shortened the blown air hose back to the nearest wall and recapped it with the outlet that I removed from the boxing. When you reinstall the seat just buy a hose connector on amazon and reconnect the cut-off piece of hose

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: Vic
Upvote 0
Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
I've recently removed one of the travel seats from out Bailey Adamo. As said above it's pretty straightforward but you do need to be able to get underneath.
Because the travel seat provided support for the sofa cushion I just made a little platform. In all about 25-30 kgs saved.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
V

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
Thank you. I am considering a Chausson 640 simply because the the drop down bed is larger than the other manufacturers. Yet to see one in the flesh. Hope to do that sometime this month.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
I've recently removed one of the travel seats from out Bailey Adamo. As said above it's pretty straightforward but you do need to be able to get underneath.
Because the travel seat provided support for the sofa cushion I just made a little platform. In all about 25-30 kgs saved.
I did think a lot about a simple structure to support the seat. But then I thought why not just carefully take out the boxing under the seat to create a big stowage space. You need to be careful to ensure you can put everything back together so it is all as new - so photograph the whole process so that you can reverse it. When I discussed what I had done with my dealer he said "but you lost 2 seats doing this" I said, but I still have another 8 to put our 2 bums on. How many do you need? The extra space we released for a big three month tour was invaluable for carriage and getting weight forward in the van.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back