LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Has anyone here had their Ducato engine remapped?
If so, has it made a difference, either to power or consumption?
Has it had any adverse effects?
Would you recommend having it done?

We have a 6-speed manual 2.3 litre 130bhp btw.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Celtic Tuning on the drive from 130 to 150 and makes a difference about 4 mpg more from fuel and a much better torque curve on the vehicle much smoother driving about ÂŁ300 last time I looked and if not happy they will remap FOC

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Had our 2.3 130 done by Avon Tunning.
Huge difference in torque and you particularly note it on hills.
Mpg is not really noticeable but that might be the fact that if I am on the motorway I drive at 69 mph ( true speed ) on cruise control not 60 mph for better economy.

Had it done 5 or 6 years ago with no problems or issues.

There is a school of thought that the mechanicals clutch etc are not designed for the extra power / torque. But this is a motorhome and it is extremely unlikely you are going to drive it like you stole it. 🤭

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Very many threads on this with opinions if you use the 'Search' button.
Here are just three if it helps.....

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Does remapping have any implications on insurance cover / premiums?

I would think so. Best to declare it anyway even if the company are not really interested or don’t charge a premium.
You need to tell them and all they did for me was note it but no charge. They said it’s common

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I can't see that it would shorten the clutch life but happy to be corrected.
Agreed.. the way I see it.... more torque = less gear changing and therefore less use of the clutch.... therefore less wear..
Unless of coarse the clutch already partially worn and more torque could cause clutch slip... regardless new clutch required in both scenarios ...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 19, 2018
Funster No
I think it depends on the age of the vehicle too. My 2007 could probably use the remap but as it suffers from the "judder when reversing" unless the clutch is released completely, I'm not willing to risk putting more power through the system.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 2, 2023
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL
Exp
VW T6 & tents.
Agreed.. the way I see it.... more torque = less gear changing and therefore less use of the clutch.... therefore less wear..
Unless of coarse the clutch already partially worn and more torque could cause clutch slip... regardless new clutch required in both scenarios ...

The clutch connects the engine to the gearbox, so when driving it is always engaged and transferring the power from one to the other.
When you push the pedal, you disengage the clutch, which disconnect the engine from the gearbox so you can select a different gear.
So the clutch isn't really worn out when it's disengaged, but when it's engaged.
Whether it will be an issue depends on whether Fiat fit a different clutch to their 130HP manual than they fit to their 150hp manual, and I suspect they don't but I'm not entirely sure.

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
The clutch connects the engine to the gearbox, so when driving it is always engaged and transferring the power from one to the other.
When you push the pedal, you disengage the clutch, which disconnect the engine from the gearbox so you can select a different gear.
So the clutch isn't really worn out when it's disengaged, but when it's engaged.
Whether it will be an issue depends on whether Fiat fit a different clutch to their 130HP manual than they fit to their 150hp manual, and I suspect they don't but I'm not entirely sure.
What I said.... đź‘Ťđź‘Ť

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Once a clutch is engaged ( and in normal drive ) it should not wear, unless there is an issue with the pressure plate.
it is the process of engagement and disengagement that causes wear. IE riding the clutch.

I have said in previous posts on this subject that I have had our van mapped for several years now with nothing but improved drivability.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Has anyone here had their Ducato engine remapped?
If so, has it made a difference, either to power or consumption?
Has it had any adverse effects?
Would you recommend having it done?

We have a 6-speed manual 2.3 litre 130bhp btw.
We have the same engine as yourself bought from new, we had a remap done at 8000 miles. made a massive difference to how the vehicle drove, a much better driving experience.
We head to Cornwall 4 times a year before remapping we were up and down the gear box on those long hills on the A30, since the remap we never have to change down, the Vehicle just takes it in it's stride.
Fuel consumption prior to the remap was around 24mpg. ok it was a new engine, since the remap we now average 30mpg. Have now passed 50.000 miles with no problems to the clutch, choose a reputable company and get it done the difference is amazing. The remap made no difference to our insurance premiums.

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Had mine done 8 years ago, 130bhp to 160bhp and had no probs, the extra power made a big difference can't comment on mpg as it was part of the deal so unable to compare.

I contacted my insurer Caravan Guard and it made no difference to the policy.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1973
I have just spent ÂŁ10,00 on an engine rebuild at 70k miles that caused a hole in one piston, the rest of the engine was in very good condition, that the garage reckoned was caused by a remap I didn't know about. The performance was better but I have not noticed a change in consumption when the ecu was returned to factory settings, I do miss the performance. This was on a Mercedes 646 engine.

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I have just spent ÂŁ10,00 on an engine rebuild at 70k miles that caused a hole in one piston, the rest of the engine was in very good condition, that the garage reckoned was caused by a remap I didn't know about. The performance was better but I have not noticed a change in consumption when the ecu was returned to factory settings, I do miss the performance. This was on a Mercedes 646 engine.
Interesting, what specifically in the remapping do they allege caused the piston hole.

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Another thumbs up for Celtic tuning. 2.3 130bhp now up to 165bhp. Improves drivability no need to take the revs so high, more torque and smoother. Efficient service as they come to your house.

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
You'd need to tell your insurer. Some increase premiums, some aren't bothered.
Two of our cars have been remapped:
X5 40D - from 313BHP to 365BHP: Insurers wanted extra ÂŁ32
X5M - from 616BHP to 665BHP: No increase in insurance

Not bothered remapping the MH, as it has the 3ltr engine, and pulls nicely.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
the garage reckoned was caused by a remap
There are lots of possible causes of a holed piston. But on diesels, over fuelling is a common cause. That could be from a faulty injector that's jetting in too much fuel all the time, or it could be a really bad remap.

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Had our 2.3 130 done by Avon Tunning.
Huge difference in torque and you particularly note it on hills.
Mpg is not really noticeable but that might be the fact that if I am on the motorway I drive at 69 mph ( true speed ) on cruise control not 60 mph for better economy.

Had it done 5 or 6 years ago with no problems or issues.

There is a school of thought that the mechanicals clutch etc are not designed for the extra power / torque. But this is a motorhome and it is extremely unlikely you are going to drive it like you stole it. 🤭
The engine ecu is a torque limited map. Any remap just increase the torque available at a given rpm and throttle position. Max torque is produced from about 1300rpm to 2500rpm so you don't have to drive it like you stole it to put the mechanicals under extra stresses.

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
The engine ecu is a torque limited map. Any remap just increase the torque available at a given rpm and throttle position. Max torque is produced from about 1300rpm to 2500rpm so you don't have to drive it like you stole it to put the mechanicals under extra stresses.
Yes You can put your mechanicals under extreme or extra stresses with a std map and bad / poor driving technique but you know that well.

Remapping can smooth out your driving or if it’s a really inappropriate remap can create problems.
I would agree that if someone is prone to putting a std vehicle under stress then a remap for additional power/ torque is likely magnify their flaws; and possibly make problems occur earlier.

But this is a discussion that can go round and round with experts from both camps disagreeing on the benefits or pitfalls.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Is the standard mapping an attempt at the best compromise? Fiat/Ford/Mercedes have not much idea what converters may be fitting to their supplied bodies in regards of weight etc as the chassis is supplied with or without the cab and not much more

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Yes You can put your mechanicals under extreme or extra stresses with a std map and bad / poor driving technique but you know that well.

Remapping can smooth out your driving or if it’s a really inappropriate remap can create problems.
I would agree that if someone is prone to putting a std vehicle under stress then a remap for additional power/ torque is likely to make problems occur earlier.

But this is a discussion that can go round and round with experts from both camps disagreeing on the benefits or pitfalls.
Nothing against remaps and they're great fun in turbo engines. I've messed about with a few cars and got some hilarious torque but you can't really avoid putting extra stress on things. The improved driveability is just putting more torque through the mechanicals which is what the map is all about.

Upvote 1

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back