Refillable gas options (1 Viewer)

Jan 2, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Knaus Van Ti 640 MEG
Exp
Had a variety of tents, tipis, motorhomes, caravans and now back to a coach built motorhome!
I’ve just invested in lithium so that we can spend more time offgrid, and as I recently retired we hope to spend more time in France / Spain. We have our first ever trip booked for September. So I’m now starting to think about the gas side. We have ‘23 Knaus Van Ti with the standard 2 x 6kg calor bottles in.
So I think as we’re unlikely to be using hookup a lot then we’ll use more gas! Which means we’ll need to be replenishing in France / Spain.
I’ve started to look at Gaslow systems, and I’m thinking of a DIY option as I’m reasonably competent fitting and I have the time.
I’m confused by whether we should be looking at an underslung tank ( we have the space), or a single or double bottle system. Not sure where to site the external fill point either!
Any thoughts to help me through this?
IMG_1739.jpeg
IMG_1108.jpeg

IMG_0846.jpeg

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
We have gaslow, but given the choice i would have preferred underslung .... As you have a relatively new van, I would spend the extra on having underslung.
Depending on the size of your lithium and ability to recharge it, you may be surprised at how little gas you use if you can migrate most of your cooking and hot water heating to your battery.
Recharging your battery is key, you may find you don't need to bother spending on having lpg refillable installed if you can keep your lithium topped up.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
If you go refillable, why not single refillable bottle and use the second space for interchangable local pigtails for local bottles if you ever get stuck finding LPG?
We find/found the biggest gas consumption is a gas fridge.

On current van, I went for 6kg bottle type refillable (DIY install) as if LPG becomes impossible in the future then its no hassle to swap to a local 6kg bottle. Will that happen? Who knows. Now the fridge is compressor, the gas lasts 8w or so and with bluetooth level sensor its not really a concern.

If you are DIYing, I'd also suggest looking at Alde bubble leak detector (shows any downstream leaks no matter now small), and also look at getting an air-compressor attachment for the filler - means you can get the filler side under pressure before risking LPG (and of course purge air before install!).

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I'd go with Lenny. Looks like you could fit 2 11kg bottles in that locker (although pics can be deceiving).

I'm not 100% sure if your filler point can go in your horizontally swinging door though?

2 11kg gaslows with auto changeover valve and wave Bluetooth sensors would be a decent setup.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
You have space for 2x 11kg bottles. Personally I would go for at least one x11kg gaslow to start and use the calor as a reserve.lots of places to fill up in the eu. My fill point is inside the gas locker and have never been refused a fill although some folks say they have.if your going to Spain you could connect up a Spanish bottle to the fill point using a gaslow adaptor hose and put your calor bottle secured in your garage.
An external fill point could be sited just below your gas locker. In the sill with support behind.
Ps plus you need some eu adaptors for filling.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
My approach is one 11KG Gaslow bottle and a spare 6kg calor gas. My logic is Gaslow is refillable - like your petrol tank. When it gets low your refill it - so why have 2? My Calor gas bottle is like my emergency petrol can. Only there for if I ever run out of LPG. Only had to use it once in 3 years. I just have a separate hose for each - just takes 2 minutes to swap hoses over with a spanner. As I said only had to do it once so no big issue.

Perfectly DIY as its a case of buying Gaslow bottle and hose and connecting up.

The only slightly more complex bit is if you want a external fill point. It's a good idea as it stops those more suspicious garages from questioning you if you have to open your gas locker. With an external fill point there are no questions. I'm no DIY god but I managed to fit the external fill point. Just needed to buy the correct size hole saw drill bit for it. I put my fill point in the vallance under the locker. It's solid metal so is nice and secure for the fill point and the hose just goes up into the locker through the ventilation hole.

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
I run with a single gasit 11kg leaving the option for a calor back up or Spanish bottle (managed without for 14 years)
IMG_20230123_192115_665.jpg
The top has been unbolted on mine for easier refilling in situ. Be careful checking the depth of gas box as we couldn't fit this in a neighbours Bailey by 5mm. (Really frustrating as he is stuck with 2x6kg)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Single 11kg refillable and a Calor as a spare as you can always add a second refillable if you need it.

I'd put the filler in the skirt just behind the wheel and use the small square one instead of the large round one as the former is much easier to fit.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I run with a single gasit 11kg leaving the option for a calor back up or Spanish bottle (managed without for 14 years) View attachment 884821The top has been unbolted on mine for easier refilling in situ. Be careful checking the depth of gas box as we couldn't fit this in a neighbours Bailey by 5mm. (Really frustrating as he is stuck with 2x6kg)
For your own safety please remove the bucket and anything else that can 'collect' escaping gas! A basket with a mesh base will keep your stuff tidy but without the risk so long as it can't move around and cause a spark. Trust me on this, you don't want to experience a 5ft blowtorch or explosion caused by static electricity. :eek:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
put your calor bottle secured in your garage.
So long as there are gas drop vents, most garages don't have any. Personally I'd only do this if I had a purpose made gastight box to put it in with a drop vent directly from it's base to the outside, eg a mini gas locker.

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
For your own safety please remove the bucket and anything else that can 'collect' escaping gas! A basket with a mesh base will keep your stuff tidy but without the risk so long as it can't move around and cause a spark. Trust me on this, you don't want to experience a 5ft blowtorch or explosion caused by static electricity. :eek:
Thanks for your concern the bucket has a hole in the bottom, above the bucket is a collapsing bucket which is the one we use.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thanks for your concern the bucket has a hole in the bottom, above the bucket is a collapsing bucket which is the one we use.
Ah, you've got the magic grey waste bucket that never needs emptying! 😊

Ideally the collapsible one should be stored on its side as it could still hold gas in its ridges when folded and the bag opening faced down so as can't collect gas in it (even if it is a bit porus).

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
So long as there are gas drop vents, most garages don't have any. Personally I'd only do this if I had a purpose made gastight box to put it in with a drop vent directly from it's base to the outside, eg a mini gas locker.
Also in modern vans the garage is vented to the hab area so storing gas bottles in there is a big no,no.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Regarding fill point position...

I fitted mine inside the locker so that ALL the hoses, etc were inside the locker where the drop vent was.

Can't find a photo of my installation but using your image, I fit it here...

IMG_20240412_131032.jpg

Using one of these...

It was fitted 7 years ago and has been refilled scores of times, in many countries, without problem

Good Luck

OP
OP
DaveS
Jan 2, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Knaus Van Ti 640 MEG
Exp
Had a variety of tents, tipis, motorhomes, caravans and now back to a coach built motorhome!
Thankyou for all the fantastic informative replies! I had no idea I had any replies as I was waiting for emails to drop in to my mailbox to tell me. I now see that emails from the forum have been paused, so I see why!
It seems that a single refillable 11KG bottle is the way forward.
A fellow Funster has even offered a nearly new one! So I'll go that route and will probably fit a hidden filler inside the locker for the moment. I can always change that if it becomes a problem.
Thanks once again for all the input. I'll be back shortly with what I else I need to buy to fit the cylinder.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back