Recommendations of Swiss campsite with good access to trips/public transport (1 Viewer)

Oct 18, 2021
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Newbie!
Having just returned from France where most of the cable cars closed at end of August was interested to know if most Swiss ones are still open to allow access to walks on the higher plateaux?
Yes everything still seems to be open here...we were going to the french alps via the jura originally but all the campsites seemed to shut end of September so switched to Switzerland and so far everything open, well where we are anyway. Campsites a bit more pricey but they have given us tickets for free public transport, bus & trains! Our dog would probably freak out though so we stick to walking! Hoping to try him in the new cable car/train they have here but website doesn't say if dogs allowed so will have to go and see!

Oct 18, 2021
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Newbie!
Firstly the Jungfrau region from a base in the Lauterbrunnen valley is brilliant. We've done it twice now, once staying at the Hotel Alpenrose in Wengen, the second in the motorhome at Stechelberg; we could easily go back a third time in the next year or two. The Stechelberg campsite was intended to be cheaper than Camping Jungfrau, but we ended up paying more as whilst you can easily walk from Camping Jungfrau to Lauterbrunnen station for trains and a handy cable car, the bus along the valley from Stechlberg is excluded from the brilliant Jungfrau pass and the daily 2-way costs add up:

I always say you'll work out that you can afford to travel in Switzerland, or eat out, but not both :-(
And you'll return realising that UK public transport is even worse than you knew it to be. Each trip we did one day (usually the last) of opening the map, shutting our eyes and stabbing someone on the map with a view to getting there as soon as possible after breakfast. Enter the location into a Swiss travel app and follow its routing of buses/trains/cable cars. Switzerland simply works.

Dave
Thats great to know thank you. I've seen that campsite. I'd emailed the other one I saw on this post but they haven't got back to me yet. Maybe we will try that one instead. If we stayed in interlaken and drove up instead is there nowhere we could park motorhome? I've been on park for night but its not clear. I don't have Swiss france either so have to hope parking meters take cards!

The campsite we are currently on in Frutigen have given us free bus & train passes..I wondered how we got a timetable so that's great thanks. We have a nervous travelling dog with us though...we were in car accident few years ago, so he's on high alert for loud noises/bangs.... Took him on a bus in Devon and he hated it, but seeing how fantastic the roads are here, I am thinking of giving it a go, or the train. He was ok on eurotunnel, bit stressed but not trying to climb on your lap stressed...he weighs 40 kilos šŸ˜‚ I want to attempt cable car too if they let him on!

The worry we have now is another gas leak in our gaslow. Hubby found that there is a motorhome dealer in interlaken so going to go there tomorrow and hope they can help us but dreading the cost! So annoyed as we had one day before we came out and thought dealer had fixed it. Its a new install too! If they can't help then its off to Annecy for us as that's where it shows there is a centre.

Thanks for your help

Oct 18, 2021
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Newbie!
Not sure about walking out to the valleys, you're down at lake level with plenty of wooded areas around. We usually walked (25 minutes) or took the bus into Interlaken for onward journeys. We weren't bothered about wifi back then, more concerned with getting a signal from the satellite dish, we still used a camera for pictures too! The ACSI pitches were on the short strip opposite the toilet block just beyond the reception/restaurant, handy for the morning croissants.
Brill thanks! Is there enough room to sit outside van, I've read some pitches are tiny others generous...guessing if paying less they'll probably be tiny!

Haven't got satellite unfortunately but do still have cameras!

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Brill thanks! Is there enough room to sit outside van, I've read some pitches are tiny others generous...guessing if paying less they'll probably be tiny!

Haven't got satellite unfortunately but do still have cameras!
Room to sit outside and handy for croissants. Loo block off the paved area.

P1010830.JPG
P1010829.JPG

Oct 18, 2021
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Newbie!
Room to sit outside and handy for croissants. Loo block off the paved area.

View attachment 819455View attachment 819460
Oh that's perfect thank you for sharing. I saw a picture of some parked like a car park side by side as was worried it might be those and no room for dog to lay outside for a bit of rest from the van! He's a bit of a big dog for motorhoming lol!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
There last month for 4 nights. Camping Jungfrau. Great site. Minutes walk into Lauterbrunnen. Easy to a lot of attractions, 4 cable cars to the top of Shilthorn from Stechelberg, 6Ks away.
We had the car so getting around was very easy. Lot's of villages and places visited within a radi of about 50ks.

Oct 24, 2019
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Caracompact 600 MEG
Exp
5 years
Firstly the Jungfrau region from a base in the Lauterbrunnen valley is brilliant. We've done it twice now, once staying at the Hotel Alpenrose in Wengen, the second in the motorhome at Stechelberg; we could easily go back a third time in the next year or two. The Stechelberg campsite was intended to be cheaper than Camping Jungfrau, but we ended up paying more as whilst you can easily walk from Camping Jungfrau to Lauterbrunnen station for trains and a handy cable car, the bus along the valley from Stechlberg is excluded from the brilliant Jungfrau pass and the daily 2-way costs add up:

I always say you'll work out that you can afford to travel in Switzerland, or eat out, but not both :-(
And you'll return realising that UK public transport is even worse than you knew it to be. Each trip we did one day (usually the last) of opening the map, shutting our eyes and stabbing someone on the map with a view to getting there as soon as possible after breakfast. Enter the location into a Swiss travel app and follow its routing of buses/trains/cable cars. Switzerland simply works.

Dave

Oct 24, 2019
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Caracompact 600 MEG
Exp
5 years
Enter the location into a Swiss travel app and follow its routing of buses/trains/cable cars. Switzerland simply works.

sorry, fat fingersā€¦.. which app is this? Seems like a great resource. Also I see there is a local Jungfrau pass and a regional Bernese Pass. Do you know which is best for getting to walks in the valley and surrounds?

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 yearsā€¦.
Check to see if the campsite you are staying at gives you a free travel pass. Didnā€™t bother looking at the email our site sent as thought it was just a receipt but no it was a free pass for us on all transport in the area for 3 daysā˜¹ļøā˜¹ļø
Found out after I paid for a bus and train passšŸ¤¬šŸ¤¬šŸ¤¬

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 18, 2021
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Newbie!
We are currently staying in camping Breithorn and have added an extra night as its really good for getting in the valley for walks straight from site. Lovely owners too speak great English and will give you great tips for walks as well as maps. The cable car stop at stechelberg is 15 minutes walk away and takes you to all the levels on the mountain and opens up so many choices of walks.

We didnt take the first stop up today as the owner recommended that we hiked up to the first stop at Gimmelwald, took couple of hours compared to 5 minutes in cable car though!..then got cable car to Murren, hiked to Grutshalp (there is a train but currently out of action) to get cable car down to Lauterbrunnen and then walked back to site, shattered but wow it was stunning walking! We did 11 miles in end which is more than we would normally do but was so lovely, especially having the first half to ourselves!

The cable car cost around Ā£5 each up and Ā£8 down and dog was free. I didn't think that was too bad for Swiss standards
sorry, fat fingersā€¦.. which app is this? Seems like a great resource. Also I see there is a local Jungfrau pass and a regional Bernese Pass. Do you know which is best for getting to walks in the valley and surrounds?

20231007_172149.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back