Recommendations for tracker not costing an arm and a leg! (1 Viewer)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I am fully aware of what airtags are designed to do and it is in no way a replacement for an approved tracker, it is though a cheap alternative to have something that does not cost virtually nothing and from my perspective the more the merrier. I already have an insurance approved tracker along with the vanbitz engine stop and this.
I put a modified air tag in my car as for me if someone does steal it then at least i will know where it is as it can take hours for it to show up saying one is near and i would have known by then it had been stolen.
Its a suggestion nothing more and if you don't want to use it then of course please don't (y)
Your right you do not have to use them,

Thieves are pretty astute when I had two vehicles stollen I also had a Mac book pro and IPhone with ‘find me’ enabled 3 and a bit years later they have not connected and pinged it’s location, an air tag is no different it uses the same find me platform. I would suggest a professional thief knows all about AirTags and trackers, along with disabling them.

Reactions: zac
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now

Thieves are pretty astute when I had two vehicles stollen I also had a Mac book pro and IPhone with ‘find me’ enabled 3 and a bit years later they have not connected and pinged it’s location, an air tag is no different it uses the same find me platform. I would suggest a professional thief knows all about AirTags and trackers, along with disabling them.
I had my iphone stolen at Gatwick security 5 years back. Find my Iphone hasnt been activated since.

DT

Dec 27, 2020
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Boats Caravans & Motorhomes for 25 years
Rewire security for me plus I have two cheap like £15 ones that only work in the UK because of the 1p mobile sim. Also one is portable that I can put in our bike bag.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013

Couldn't agree more, that can be said for all trackers and i think the professional thieves are the ones that it won't matter what you have it's not going to work. I have heard very good things about the rewire one mentioned on here but again if they want it they are going to get it no matter what's installed.

If you are spending out 20/30/40/50-150k on a motorhome then spending another £500-£1000 on a tracker should not even be a discussion, if not then you take your chances with the scumbags that are out there.

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Tkstar 905. Giff gaff sim costing less than £10 a year. Geofence and vibration alarms Phone app for control, works all over Europe. Its brilliant as long as the thieves don't find it or block it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mayson87

Free Member
Apr 20, 2024
Funster No
MH
Peugeot
The van I just bought came with one fitted by the previous owner from these guys https://www.tracetrax.com/ . Not sure about the how it is wired but the monthly subscription seemed reasonable so went for it.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Rewire do a tracker that you can have set up so it only transmits for a millisecond once a day, which should be a small enough window so any thieves shouldn't locate it. The transmission rate can be increased by Rewire at any point should you wish to pinpoint it at some time (a couple of days after perhaps?)
I am also a fan of visible deterrents, so along with 'some stuff' installed by vanbitz, I have clutch claw, wheel clamp and steering lock when it's at home on the drive and recently (yesterday) upgraded security posts (the old ones are in the classifieds for FREE)

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
I recently got a Vodafone Protect & Connect tracker installed, and it's been solid. It's user-friendly and provides peace of mind. Might be worth checking out!
That's what we have.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
If you are doing it yourself and want simple without monitoring have a search for 'tk103 tracker'. Pair it with a 2g SIM from Giffgaff and it's quite a capable little unit with a host of additional features that you can use or not.
There used to be a few people on here that had them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back