Recommendations for tracker not costing an arm and a leg! (1 Viewer)

Nov 2, 2022
Cumbria, UK
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T65 de
Exp
Too long
Had an Autowatch 695 alarm fitted and still chewing over whether to fit or if what tracker to fit. Any recommendations?

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Depends on what if any your insurance requires.

Cheap and cheerful is tracksolid

Buy the unit about 25 quid from amazon and add prepay gb to the sim provided. Plugs in your odbc for power.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
If no insurance requirement then just make a small adjustment to the apple air tags where you remove the speaker and use one of these. Simple but very effective and no ongoing costs aside from swapping battery when it runs out yearly. I have one in mine but only as a backup as I need a proper tracker for insurance but it doesn't cost anything so using one as a backup. Been in there over a year and still going strong.

OP
OP
Gerry77
Nov 2, 2022
Cumbria, UK
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T65 de
Exp
Too long
No insurance requirement as mine isnt new or a gin palace! So yes best and simplest for me.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We use Tru Trak......

Abt £35 to buy. Really easy to set up and we pay £17.38 / 3 months.

We live out in the sticks and it is easy to set up a permanant geo-fence around our property. Within a couple of minutes of leaving the area in the MH, we get two messages, one an e-mail, telling us the MH has moved.

It also allows you to look retrospectively where your MH was minute by minute, including its speed, during recent trips.

Another small advantage is that the live monitor feature tells you the voltage of the leisure battery (if you are using that as your power source)

20230924_191738.jpg

Screenshot_20230924_193202_uk.co.trutrakpro.ttapp.jpg

Screenshot_20230924_193830_uk.co.trutrakpro.ttapp.jpg

Screenshot_20230924_193140_uk.co.trutrakpro.ttapp.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
If no insurance requirement then just make a small adjustment to the apple air tags where you remove the speaker and use one of these. Simple but very effective and no ongoing costs aside from swapping battery when it runs out yearly. I have one in mine but only as a backup as I need a proper tracker for insurance but it doesn't cost anything so using one as a backup. Been in there over a year and still going strong.
Doesnt the airtag have to be close to an iPhone to work?

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Doesnt the airtag have to be close to an iPhone to work?
It does yes, be surprised if you ever steals it at some point someone with an iPhone doesn't walk within the vicinity and it's very cheap.
It's an option but not the only one.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Wiyldn
It does yes, be surprised if you ever steals it at some point someone with an iPhone doesn't walk within the vicinity and it's very cheap.
It's an option but not the only one.
Wouldn't want to rely on it to monitor a motorhome.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
No

but its a good backup to have as well as a proper tracker.
In which case I'd recommend Metatrac
Which is fitted by (amongst others) VanBitz
I have the non start which give a tracking option.

OP
OP
Gerry77
Nov 2, 2022
Cumbria, UK
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T65 de
Exp
Too long
We use Tru Trak......

We live out in the sticks and it is easy to set up a permanant geo-fence around our property. Within a couple of minutes of leaving the area in the MH, we get two messages, one an e-mail, telling us the MH has moved.

It also allows you to look retrospectively where your MH was minute by minute, including its speed, during recent trips.

Another small advantage is that the live monitor feature tells you the voltage of the leisure battery (if you are using that as your power source)

View attachment 813847

View attachment 813848

View attachment 813849

View attachment 813850
Brilliant, thanks very much for all that info. Sounds like my solution too. You were nearly at my front door on the one tracked too!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Rewire Security do a whole range from simple self install through to insurance approved ones, have a good name in the trucking industry.

I use a cheap self install one about 30 quid and tracking is about 70 quid a year.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Wiyldn

Its a cheap option no better than the numerous cheap trackers available that can easily be bypassed. If its that important then a proper tracker is the only suitable option and then pay the subscription just like I do. I just use my airtag as a backup.

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
The problem I have with tracker's is most professional villains have wands to locate tracker's cheap and easily available on fleabay they will check to see if 2 or more are fitted hidden fuel cut of switch plus whatever is required by the insurance company is what I would do I've seen tracker's fitted inside chassis rails completely hidden they just locate them then drill holes in the chassis until it stops it's not their chassis

OP
OP
Gerry77
Nov 2, 2022
Cumbria, UK
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T65 de
Exp
Too long
The problem I have with tracker's is most professional villains have wands to locate tracker's cheap and easily available on fleabay they will check to see if 2 or more are fitted hidden fuel cut of switch plus whatever is required by the insurance company is what I would do I've seen tracker's fitted inside chassis rails completely hidden they just locate them then drill holes in the chassis until it stops it's not their chassis
But they wont be doing that before they drive off I wouldnt have thought, maybe when parked up somewhere quiet by which time you will have been notified and know where they are?

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
You would think so, but why are so many lost never to be seen I've actually seen recovered campervans stripped from the salvage yards with their chassis drilled yes recovered but just bear shells no engine's ect I know a lot go to Ireland and Germany if tracker's are that good why would they not be fitted when new by the manufacturer they do refit complete motorhomes onto genuine chassis cabs

Last edited:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Isn’t this notification a problem? Thieves more than likely to have iphones.

AirTag is designed to discourage unwanted tracking. If someone else’s AirTag finds its way into your stuff, your iPhone will notice it’s travelling with you and send you an alert. After a while, if you still haven’t found it, the AirTag will start playing a sound to let you know it’s there.

Of course, if you happen to be with a friend who has an AirTag, or on a train with other passengers who have AirTag, don’t worry. These alerts are triggered only when an AirTag is separated from its owner.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Isn’t this notification a problem? Thieves more than likely to have iphones.

AirTag is designed to discourage unwanted tracking. If someone else’s AirTag finds its way into your stuff, your iPhone will notice it’s travelling with you and send you an alert. After a while, if you still haven’t found it, the AirTag will start playing a sound to let you know it’s there.

Of course, if you happen to be with a friend who has an AirTag, or on a train with other passengers who have AirTag, don’t worry. These alerts are triggered only when an AirTag is separated from its owner.
that will happen once it's been out of range for a period of time ( i think its a while not just a few hours, it never bothered mine when it was at the dealers for 5 months last year) , which is why you modify it and remove the speaker so no one can find it. Been working on mine for a year now with no issues BUT its not my primary tracker as i value my motorhome a lot more so i have an insurance approved one and use this as a backup.
The more the merrier :)

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Well, you wouldn’t know unless the staff at dealers told you they were getting messages on their phones.
To be honest i am not worried if they do as they won't find it and as i said the alert will kick in way after you know its been stolen and then tracked it so i don't see this as being an issue. There are some very good alternatives mentioned previously in this post which would work a lot better than this but its just another option, if not then don't use it and buy something that you are more happy with. It's all about choice
I have one in my car as well with a 3d printed case to enclose it in as its just a cheap tracker, although not too worried if my car gets stolen it would still be handy to know where it has gone and which scumbag has taken it.

Sep 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
We use Tru Trak......

View attachment 813847

View attachment 813848

View attachment 813849

View attachment 813850
Was interested in that model myself until I saw the installation instructions. 2 wires and stick it to the battery. So thief lifts the bonnet, cuts the power lead and no tracker. I know you can install elsewhere but to suggest installing it like that under the bonnet is plain crazy.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Was interested in that model myself until I saw the installation instructions. 2 wires and stick it to the battery. So thief lifts the bonnet, cuts the power lead and no tracker. I know you can install elsewhere but to suggest that installing it like that under the bonnet is plain crazy.
It doesn't need to be connected directly to the battery, it can be anywhere in the vehicle as long as you run the wires to power it.

Sep 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
It doesn't need to be connected directly to the battery, it can be anywhere in the vehicle as long as you run the wires to power it.
Yes I realise that as I said as much in my post, it can be installed anywhere, but I think the installation videos are misleading to indicate to people that’s a method of installation. If it’s easy to install it’s easy to remove.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Was interested in that model myself until I saw the installation instructions. 2 wires and stick it to the battery. So thief lifts the bonnet, cuts the power lead and no tracker. I know you can install elsewhere but to suggest installing it like that under the bonnet is plain crazy.
Ours is connected to the cassette power supply....
So every time we use the loo, we get a message from the tracker saying....

" You have a movement" :doh: :oops:::bigsmile:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
AirTags are for locating your stuff, it’s not a security device even if you disable the speaker. Air tags are fine if you have forgotten where you placed your keys or MoHo but absolute rubbish for security.

'AirTag Found Moving With You' - What it Means and What to Do

AirTag was designed to help people locate their personal belongings, not to track people or another person’s property, and we condemn in the strongest possible terms any malicious use of our products. Unwanted tracking has long been a societal problem, and we took this concern seriously in the design of AirTag. It’s why the Find My network is built with privacy in mind, uses end-to-end encryption, and why we innovated with the first-ever proactive system to alert you of unwanted tracking. We hope this starts an industry trend for others to also provide these sorts of proactive warnings in their products.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I am fully aware of what airtags are designed to do and it is in no way a replacement for an approved tracker, it is though a cheap alternative to have something that does not cost virtually nothing and from my perspective the more the merrier. I already have an insurance approved tracker along with the vanbitz engine stop and this.
I put a modified air tag in my car as for me if someone does steal it then at least i will know where it is as it can take hours for it to show up saying one is near and i would have known by then it had been stolen.
Its a suggestion nothing more and if you don't want to use it then of course please don't (y)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Wiyldn

Totally agree air tags are designed to be found. Apple has made it easy for them To be found and really not suitable as a tracker, just like any tracker they can be found and disabled.

Air tags can be identified even before moving off by using a blue tooth scanner

“Because AirTag regularly emits Bluetooth signals that Apple devices can pick up, you can use a simple Bluetooth tracker for iOS or iPadOS to scan the area around you and see if an AirTag is nearby. While these tracking apps can’t identify AirTag as such—AirTag changes its Bluetooth ID regularly to avoid being trackable themselves—the apps give you the lay of the landscape. That includes the names of Bluetooth devices that do label themselves in their broadcasts.

BLE Scanner is a limited but free app that provides a list of Bluetooth devices your iPhone or iPad can detect, and offers a mapping feature that roughly sorts them by signal strength into distance away. This is particularly useful if you’re checking out whether a car has a hidden AirTag

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back