Recommendations for the best Mercedes Sprinter diagnostic tool (1 Viewer)

Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
best merc sprinter diagnostic ?
i have an obdeleven for my cars but now i want one for my sprinter - recommendations ?

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I use a copy of DAS/Xentry for Smart and Mercs. Does pretty much everything but only up to about 2019 on my version

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
What a co-incidence. !!!
My son came over earlier today and out the blue said..
"Do you know anyone who wants an OBD scanner for a Merc".
He has recently changed cars to a BMW and the scanner he has is no longer needed.
I am aware it's like one in the video above an icarsort and does Merc and smart cars..
Can get model number and more info if you have any interest. (y)

OP
OP
roadwarrior
Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
yes please tonka

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
Does anyone know a diagnostic that will clear an ABS fault on a 14 Sprinter 906?

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I have one of these although I haven't needed to use it yet, you may need an adapter if you have a round obd port.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
The TAN codes are the problem. If the diagnostics can't hack them then they are quite limited.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Does anyone know a diagnostic that will clear an ABS fault on a 14 Sprinter 906?
Never a good idea to clear ABS brake faults if the issue isn't fixed. But I believe the better icarsoft kits do merc codes. Not all do of course

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
The problem has been that an ABS code comes up and triggers limp mode.
I can cope with no ABS, but limp mode is dangerous.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
What is the fault code? Might be as simple as a bad contact or a wheel sensor or a failing ABS pump or attached ECU. I agree limp mode is dangerous, but if the vehicle has stability control locked out ABS has worse consequences. The more electronic features on a vehicle the harder it is to trace and fix faults that trigger limp mode

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
I've had recurring abs problems in the end found to be cheap/fake abs sensors bit the bullet replaced with genuine Mercedes parts, if recurring perhaps the abs itself is faulty we have had to have a couple repaired.

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
Thanks for replies. It's the ABS speed sensors that have been at fault. But failure loses speed sensor, so no cruise control. If rear, then goes into limp mode which is dangerous.
That's why I'm interested into whether I can clear the fault to allow a safer drive back from Austria.
I'm very experienced in this sadly.
Seemed to be a problem every 10k miles or so, and worse if snow/rain/salt.

(sote voce) not had a problem last 2 years. All sensors were replaced by official Mercedes commercial.
May have been bad batch?
I now carry two OE Mercedes sensors in MH.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Thanks for replies. It's the ABS speed sensors that have been at fault. But failure loses speed sensor, so no cruise control. If rear, then goes into limp mode which is dangerous.
That's why I'm interested into whether I can clear the fault to allow a safer drive back from Austria.
I'm very experienced in this sadly.
Seemed to be a problem every 10k miles or so, and worse if snow/rain/salt.

(sote voce) not had a problem last 2 years. All sensors were replaced by official Mercedes commercial.
May have been bad batch?
I now carry two OE Mercedes sensors in MH.
Weather related faults are almost exclusively due to damp in the electrical connections causing lower resistance than expected. The sensors are entirely encapsulated and unlikely to be the problem.
I would be looking for chafed insulation on the sensor cables (allowing earthing by water to lower resistance) or the brake booster unit plugs for poor/dirty contacts.
A scanner to identify the corner that is causing the problem would need to be able to read OE level fault codes and not the standard OBDII codes.
Edit to say Topdon is my choice although Autel and Launch are similar

Oct 27, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Frankia A Class
Exp
Since 2015
We had an intermittent ABS fault that stopped the speedo working and so forced limp home on our 2004 Sprinter based Frankia. We ended up having the ABS controller replaced.

Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Newbie, former van camper and still wild camper
There's a diagnostic tool for sale in classified section I believe

OP
OP
roadwarrior
Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
my new diag thinks my autosleeper 2016 mercedes winchcombe is post 2013 906 ? is that correct ? so is it a 906 ?

OP
OP
roadwarrior
Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
Update - I bought a topdon 600s with lots of bells and whistles but despite the van showing a bloody great brake fault on the dashboard it completely failed to find a problem. So that's gone back. Next I bought a icarsoft eu pro which DID find the problem but listed it as 3 faults and didn't tell me which wear sensor was faulty. No matter, I will be changing all 4 anyway. Then off to the MOT centre to look at braking power overall.

The icarsoft did have me scratching my head for a while as there is a completely different section called sprinter and not a subsection of mercedes.

Aug 11, 2021
North Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Scout SE
Exp
Since1963 with parents
2014 sprinter is standard obd2 port, the round 16 pin ended 2004ish.
Actually the round pin went on until the change from W903 chasais end if 2006, which is what we have. Standard OBD readers even with the round plug are very limited in what they can read on the old system. I take ours to a Merc independent who has the correct kit. Amazing difference.....

OP
OP
roadwarrior
Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
My issue is i have a worn brake wear sensor and i have been to get four from mertrucks that cost about 7 quid each..

OP
OP
roadwarrior
Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
ok thank you ! .135 bit ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back