Radio Amateurs Motorhome Antennas (1 Viewer)

May 29, 2020
Ferndown, BH22 9sg, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Pepper
Exp
Since 2019
Hi all and a Merry Xmas and HNY 2022
Myself and my wife are both Radio Hams, sad to some and confusing to other none understanding beings.
We try to travel around Europe each year and love to keep in touch with other radio hams (by not using our expensive internet connections) its free no connection fee's.
Yes we do have WiFi in the MH and use it for other communications and work.
We use a VHF/UHF transceiver for mobile communications
We have used many types of antenna, and have found a 40metre dipole to be the best for whole of europe.
What do other Radio Amateurs use and how do they deploy it
Stupid comments not appreciated, but if you must, please go ahead and show your ignorance.
D&D

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Think you will find quite a few on here are ham's. Me included G1FTJ. So you should get some sensible answers soon. šŸ‘
Not from me though, not been on for years..

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
I seriously need to get back into my interest in HAM radio after many years lapse.
Only made a novice licence (2E1 CQM), but I believe that over many years this has now expanded into a lot more areas.
Have 3 grandapprentices who are starting to take an interest in receiving radio signals and how aerials can pick up a varied spectrum.
Interesting ā€œold fashionedā€ times, methinks.
Just for the record, I was always , and still am, fascinated by the fixed wire long length for receiving Shortwave stations/broadcasts.

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
I have no knowledge of the subject, but have to admit to being intrigued every time I deliver to a customer with "a few bits of wire strung outside", we've had a few good conversations šŸ™‚

Cheers
Red

I2C

Feb 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2000
I wish I could help, have a full license but only have a handheld VHF/UHF transceiver.

Hope to get an HF rig i can take in the van in the future so definitely interested in what others use with what antenna.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
Mostly a few Buddipole bits - with an FT891 and ATU on FT8 these days on HF. Also a PiStar hotspot to cover VHF/UHF Digital modes.

73s de G4GBA

Reactions: I2C
Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
I donā€™t do anything on the move but I do use a Diamond X50 vhf/uhf antenna on a tripod when pitched up.
Regarding radios I have a Yaesu FT991 and Anytone AT-778UV.
I have got a 6m to 80m long wire to try out but donā€™t want garrotte anyone,:xsmile: and just been given a 10m vertical but need to get the antenna analyser on it before I plug that in to the radio.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I don't do anything on the move but I do set up sometimes when we stop. Until fairly recently I've been mostly HF and setting up long wires on campsites is a bit fraught but on our recent tour of GB I used an MP1C antenna from the company Superantenna very successfully. I only use 10W from my Icom IC-705 but I've reached Canada with the MP1C from Norfolk. This was admittedly using CW but with propagation improving I'm hoping for some SSB trans-Atlantic contacts soon.

I've now got a 5 element Yagi for 2m which folds up and could be taken in the van. I used this a couple of weeks ago and had some good QSOs using SSB, FM and FT8 into France, Wales and the South Pennines to an operator on the summit of Shining Tor. I also tried 2m CW but drew a blank. That needs to be pre-arranged I think! :)

John
M0WIV

Reactions: I2C
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I believe Ralph of Ralph-n-Bev dabbles šŸ‘
Thatā€™s just what heā€™s doing now weā€™ve eaten , been in the shower and got our PJā€™s on , with the house to ourselves again.
Playing in his ā€œshackā€ while I watch/sing along to chitty chitty bang bang šŸ˜‚
AA9FC782-9F43-4CD6-BDF4-A9F2C36B622F.jpeg

Heā€™s all sorts in there in drawers and cupboards šŸ™„šŸ˜
FDD1C17C-38CB-4842-A595-B5B9C38C1EEA.jpeg

Thatā€™s his Xmas present from me , that white thing, that heā€™s twidling, above his finger fixed into that black thing.
Havnt a clue what it is but he can put a big round wire aerial in it šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļøšŸ˜µā€šŸ’«
Keeps him happy . He take stuff with us when we go off in the van too and weā€™ve got various aerials on the roof and in the gardenā€¦ā€¦.

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
And me GW0WGW.

No kit mind you but was thinking of a mobile multiband radio for the moho but could not find a vertical mobile wipe that I could mount that covered all band so not looked since.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Thatā€™s just what heā€™s doing now weā€™ve eaten , been in the shower and got our PJā€™s on , with the house to ourselves again.
Playing in his ā€œshackā€ while I watch/sing along to chitty chitty bang bang šŸ˜‚
View attachment 569497
Heā€™s all sorts in there in drawers and cupboards šŸ™„šŸ˜
View attachment 569498
Thatā€™s his Xmas present from me , that white thing, that heā€™s twidling, above his finger fixed into that black thing.
Havnt a clue what it is but he can put a big round wire aerial in it šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļøšŸ˜µā€šŸ’«
Keeps him happy . He take stuff with us when we go off in the van too and weā€™ve got various aerials on the roof and in the gardenā€¦ā€¦.
My wife's dad was in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 22, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi all and a Merry Xmas and HNY 2022
Myself and my wife are both Radio Hams, sad to some and confusing to other none understanding beings.
We try to travel around Europe each year and love to keep in touch with other radio hams (by not using our expensive internet connections) its free no connection fee's.
Yes we do have WiFi in the MH and use it for other communications and work.
We use a VHF/UHF transceiver for mobile communications
We have used many types of antenna, and have found a 40metre dipole to be the best for whole of europe.
What do other Radio Amateurs use and how do they deploy it
Stupid comments not appreciated, but if you must, please go ahead and show your ignorance.
D&D
stopped using ham radio years ago, G0RWC, I found HUSTLER HF MOBILE ANTENNAS working quite well.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Check out the Zello app. It's like a walkie talkie but uses the phone data connection. We use it all the time, much quicker and easier than calling šŸ‘

Still got my scanner somewhere Yupiteru 710 or something similar, was expensive but picks up everything, one of the favourites was late night mobile phone calls in Glasgow (917 to 933 MHZ šŸ˜)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back