Prostate Cancer Screening - (PSA) Testing (1 Viewer)

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Just booked my first PSA testing for May. Looks dead easy and straight forward, so thought I’d plug the charity for us all, just in case you want to look at booking one for yourself.

Follow the link, there’s leaflets and details of events coming up, so why not have a look if you haven’t already began the journey of regular checks.

IMG_3221.png

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Just got the all clear for my cancer, will share my journey if you want.
there is a long running thread on this topic which you could add your journey

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
PP Bear To avoid complicating this extremely important topic and someone possibly missing out on life saving information, like you’ve just put on, it may be better to add to the existing thread.

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
PP Bear To avoid complicating this extremely important topic and someone possibly missing out on life saving information, like you’ve just put on, it may be better to add to the existing thread.
I looked at adding it, but it’s an older thread and doesn’t open with the details on booking, giving a link etc. I searched and there are a few references Prostate Cancer, but felt it needed to stand alone with a fresh date of today.

It also doesn’t give reference to the charity that I posted about, so think it’s perfectly justified to have a separate thread.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
You have to pay for the test? Is that right? Why not just go to your GP and get it free via them??
In spite of me having all the classic symptoms my doc has refused on two occasions over the past 3 years when I've asked him. He said: "We don't offer them here as they are inconclusive, unreliable and not cost effective".
On the latest occasion I did reply that it certainly wasn't cost effective for my 45 years of contributions. 😡

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
In spite of me having all the classic symptoms my doc has refused on two occasions over the past 3 years when I've asked him. He said: "We don't offer them here as they are inconclusive, unreliable and not cost effective".
On the latest occasion I did reply that it certainly wasn't cost effective for my 45 years of contributions. 😡

You might find this useful..............

If my GP won't give me a test.. LINK

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021

Your GP is an idiot :mad: :mad: :mad: I'd be complaining to the CQC /the practice manager etc especially if you are saying you have symptoms of prostate cancer and have been refused!!!

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Your GP is an idiot :mad: :mad: :mad: I'd be complaining to the CQC /the practice manager etc especially if you are saying you have symptoms of prostate cancer and have been refused!!!
Yep. It seems a bit much as in the past fifteen years I've rarely been to my health centre except for Covid and Flu and jabs and once after a dog bite 100yds from the health centre. I permanently only have one (the bitten) hand to use so couldn't even bandage it to stop the blood flow. The receptionist said no-one was available so go to A&E. I stopped off on the mile walk home at my own dog's vet and the nurse there who knows me cleaned it and did a temp bandage. How they laughed at A&E when they saw the dog and cat silhouettes printed on it. They steri-stripped it and gave me an anti-tetanus jab and antibiotics.
I'll follow up the excellent guidance in Oldrat 's link.

Dec 19, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar Fivestar
Exp
Motorhoming since 2011 - now returning after a long break!
Just booked my first PSA testing for May. Looks dead easy and straight forward, so thought I’d plug the charity for us all, just in case you want to look at booking one for yourself.

Follow the link, there’s leaflets and details of events coming up, so why not have a look if you haven’t already began the journey of regular checks.

View attachment 880299
Yes please do this - all you fellas, please, and then again next year and the next year - it is the trend which will give you an indication if there is something to be investigated.

Dec 19, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar Fivestar
Exp
Motorhoming since 2011 - now returning after a long break!
Outrageous. Would change my GP!
My husband's prostate cancer was found by sheer chance (no symptoms), because our GP had the wit and wisdom to offer PSA testing - immediate surgery required - and all is now well.

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
So second scan PSA lower?
I suspect the scan is MRI and this was active surveillance, the lowest form of monitoring.
ie Regular PSA blood tests to monitor trend then usually yearly MRI of prostate, any spike in either will usually mean biopsy.

I was offered active surveillance after PSA/MRI/Biopsy, but rather be treated actively than wait given im 53. So next Tuesday Im off to Addenbrookes for brachytherapy.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
So second scan PSA lower?
PSA on blood test but she wanted a scan due to my medical history.
Have blood test every 3 months for annother issue and PSA is slightly lower but still above what it should be so they keep an eye on it.
Last scan I had the NHS sent me to a private hospital and I had 2 dummies trying to put the cannula in after they had 2 goes each I asked if they were a tag team and how come the hospital does it without me noticing🤔🤔
Oh they said they know what they are doing😳😳😳

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
The testing regime is random and illogical. If you’re 60+ you automatically get a testing kit for bowel cancer every 2 years. Bowel cancer will affect 1 in 15 of us. Prostate cancer will affect 1 in 8 men yet testing seems to be a complete lottery!

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
A very good friend of mine died from advanced prostate cancer. He was a GP 😱😱

That led me to a PSA test which my own GP was reluctant to do. “Why do you want one?” he asked. “ Because my pal died of it and I am nearing 60”

Long story short. PSA, finger jobbie, biopsy, radical prostectomy. That was exactly 10 years ago.

PSA checks every 6 months then every year.

Go get it checked guys and tell your GP that you are the customer and you are the one going to die if it advances without intervention. No excuses.

Stay well.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Thought I could do that while the wife was shopping in Sainsbury's but . . . Tonbridge!

Yours,
Disgruntled from Tunbridge Wells.

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
The testing regime is random and illogical. If you’re 60+ you automatically get a testing kit for bowel cancer every 2 years. Bowel cancer will affect 1 in 15 of us. Prostate cancer will affect 1 in 8 men yet testing seems to be a complete lottery!
Worse because unlike breast, cervical and bowel cancer there is NO national screening programme in place.

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
Why the UK doesn't realise that prevention through early detection is a life (and money) saver.
The link in post #10 explains why there currently is no screening programme.
(Not saying I agree as I do have my PSA level checked every year) -

There is currently no screening programme for prostate cancer in the UK and you will not be invited for a PSA test by your GP.

It’s important that the benefits of any screening programme outweigh the disadvantages. But it isn’t clear that screening all men with the PSA test would have more benefits than disadvantages.

Some studies have found that screening with the PSA test could mean fewer men die from prostate cancer. But it would also mean that:

• some men would have a biopsy, which could cause side effects
  • a large number of men would be diagnosed with a slow-growing cancer that wouldn’t cause any symptoms or shorten their life
  • some of these men would have treatment they didn’t need, which could cause side effects.
While the PSA test on its own isn't suitable as a screening test for prostate cancer, researchers are working to find a test, or combination of tests, that might be suitable in the future.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
.." more men die 'with' prostate cancer, than 'because' of it "

this is an interesting and informative read

Agree with that. My consultant said that if breast cancer is a tiger prostate cancer is a pussy cat.
But, after a biopsy that had cancerous elements and was on the borderline in the marking system - Gleason Score - the question really was “ how lucky do you feel punk.”

The cancerous cells were all within the prostate but the question was whether they would migrate to the surface and hence into other parts of the body like bones.

It really is a tough call. Do nothing and watch? Possible. Do nothing and end up with a bigger problem? Also possible.

It was the biggest decision I have ever had to make and maybe I made the wrong decision. Or maybe I made the right one. I will never know.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
www.mypsatest.org.uk is owned and operated by the Graham Fulford Charitable Trust in Warwick. It enables whatever organisation wishes to arrange testing eg firms providing the service to their employees or support charities like Pcaso or the one we're involved in to a) take the bookings then b) receive the completed blood test results for that group of men direct from the lab (The Doctors Lab) then c) email each man with his result, and that email tells him what he needs to do next. So we (the local charity) only get the results from Graham Fulford CT on a traffic light basis - saying number of tests done, how many red, amber or green results.

Red email says Ooo-er, get to your GP pdq, show him this email and take it from there - but the NHS will NOT believe the test result and will do their own anyway - this is actually sensible cos if you do need treatment even if it's watchful waiting, you do need to get this onto your local hospital computer system, so as to enable the regular checks or whatever's required, thereafter.
Amber email says well that's only a bit up and no need to panic immediately but we suggest you get retested and when to do that.
Green says No sign at present so just get retested in a couple of years time.

All of em say this assumes with absolutely zero symptoms because if you DO have symptoms then you go straight to your GP anyway!

These are ONLY blood tests, blood taken from inner elbow vein - no DREs or other investigations undertaken at them, usually.

Last edited:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
When you go to the very first page of the mypsatest website and click on Events in the top toolbar there's a Search facility to find a testing event near your postcode. Or, you can ring them in normal weekday office hours and ask. Or you can request a home testing kit which arrives in the post from TDL, contains all equipment to do it with full instructions and the prepaid envelope to send the sample back to TDL. (That's blood from a fingerprick and a far greater quantity than that required to test blood glucose which is a minute amount) Cost for home testing kit, currently £27.99 each.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back