Prostate cancer. A useful resource. (5 Viewers)

Jun 11, 2011
Derby
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840 SE
Exp
My local surgery is one of three local surgerys that come under the main practice, just this weekend they ran a prostrate clinic for the over 50's family history of disease and being black or mixed race. I went just after it opened, 5 min wait then rugby player type chap asked a few questions, explained the two parts to today's tests and asked if I would like both.
I agreed, but asked him to be gentle as it was my first time, drop your keks he said and get those pants down, on the table, face the wall, knees up into your chest, at this point I thought he was enjoying the power as I lay there all submissive. Well he layed a hand on my rear and inserted something the size of a sausage then two seconds later he rimmed it home, yelled back of the net withdrew and ran round the room with his top pulled over his head. As I lay there in shock I heard a voice say you can get dressed now. He said that it all felt good and if ide like to make my way to the young vampire lady who will stick you with needles then take an armful of blood.
I was so glad I had prepared for the worst and applied E45 where needed, it did help believe me.

This little story is as they say is Tonge in cheek (not literally)
IT REALLY WAS EASY, OVER IN 25 SECONDS AND PAINLESS
even though he was a big fella.
Just got to wait for a few days for blood test results.

I would like to thank all on here who have contributed to this thread and at least one other sometime ago as it keeps the subject in the limelight and perhaps helps a fellow member help them selves

Cheers Colin, bottoms up 🍹

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
if you saw both his hands at any one time then be afraid, very afraid. :rofl:
Be very afraid when he ushers you behind a screen and then says: "Slip off your trousers and put them on that chair, with mine".

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
did you have anything else prescribed.. ?

do you mind saying what side effects ?
Nothing else prescribed.

The urologist mentioned a few side effects but said they’d likely not affect me due to being young fit and healthy 😂😂. I had a couple, firstly I feel tired all the time, secondly I had severe leg cramps during the night, so not getting up for toilet but instead to relieve cramp. Stopped them on Thursday and no cramp, still tired but that’s due to going to toilet several times a night, it’s a catch 22 situation.

One of the side effects he mentioned was the possibility of an 8 hour erection, sounds good but I’m to tired to use it 😂😂😂 maybe that’s the reason for the cramp as it got my leg mixed up with something else 😂😂.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Annoying trips to pee in the night (up to 3 or 4 times) for several years now. Have had all the usual tests (including flow tests) and thankfully diagnosed with BPE (benign prostatic enlargement) rather than cancer. I was offered surgery to bore out the restriction in my urethra caused by the enlargement, but the potential side effects of the so called ‘gold standard’ treatment scared me to death, particularly incontinence and sexual dysfunction. I looked at alternatives and about 2 yrs ago had a relatively new procedure - Urolift. https://prostatematters.co.uk/treatments-for-bph-and-where-to-get-them/treatment-of-bph-urolift/
Urolift is NICE approved but I suspect your chances of getting it on the NHS are slim (private about £5k). It’s minimally invasive day surgery without the need for a catheter afterwards. I wouldn’t say it’s cured my condition but in conjunction with daily Tamusolin, it’s stopped my condition deteriorating and made my condition more manageable. I’ve not had any adverse effects from Tamusolin whatsoever.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I was offered surgery to bore out the restriction in my urethra caused by the enlargement, but the potential side effects of the so called ‘gold standard’ treatment scared me to death,
Seriously, one of my biker chums had that procedure on the NHS which damaged the urethra internally and needed a skin graft taken from the inside of his mouth cheek. I won't enlarge upon his ongoing pain, stress and the ongoing use of a catheter but he now wishes he'd never had the boring out procedure done.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Easier said than done.
First you have to get past the receptionist....no easy task

Absolutely. I know that it’s not affordable for everybody but given the problems in getting through our broken primary healthcare system, if it’s straightforward testing like prostate or skin lesions etc, I tend to pay for it these days. I’m not wealthy but can’t think of anything better to spend money on.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
My local surgery is one of three local surgerys that come under the main practice, just this weekend they ran a prostrate clinic for the over 50's family history of disease and being black or mixed race. I went just after it opened, 5 min wait then rugby player type chap asked a few questions, explained the two parts to today's tests and asked if I would like both.
I agreed, but asked him to be gentle as it was my first time, drop your keks he said and get those pants down, on the table, face the wall, knees up into your chest, at this point I thought he was enjoying the power as I lay there all submissive. Well he layed a hand on my rear and inserted something the size of a sausage then two seconds later he rimmed it home, yelled back of the net withdrew and ran round the room with his top pulled over his head. As I lay there in shock I heard a voice say you can get dressed now. He said that it all felt good and if ide like to make my way to the young vampire lady who will stick you with needles then take an armful of blood.
I was so glad I had prepared for the worst and applied E45 where needed, it did help believe me.

I would like to thank all on here who have contributed to this thread and at least one other sometime ago as it keeps the subject in the limelight and perhaps helps a fellow member help them selves

Much the same as mine

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Do not consult dr google American sites . The best sites you only need is prostrate U.K. and the NHS site . It can get over powering Reading up about pc .

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Here in Spain if you require a blood test for whatever reason then the doctor will normally test for everything available ,along with urine samples. 5 or 6 A4 pages of tests is not uncommon the first time. PSA is included along with at least 6 or 7 other 'markers' for tumours, cholesterol,diabetes, glucose,calcium,urea,creatine,thyroid,enzymes,etc;etc, along with 20 different actual tests of the blood itself.
I had tests after a high PSA reading about 10 years ago. Saw consultant for some months .Mine was BPE & I now take duodart (tamsulosina) along with Permixon. The permixon ( lipidosterolic extract of Serenoa) is to stop any PSa reading being artificial ,which it is if using tamusolin only. So my consultant said.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Had the "sticky finger" Told my prostate was "enlarged" Had the granddad wees 2-3-4 times a night, had the pain when passing water, got to the point that I told the Doctor that all I wanted to do was "PI$$ without pain" All that over 3-4years.

Had a pain in my chest! GP had small man syndrom, when I asked for a scan he flatly refused. Went to another GP in the same Surgery explained the situation, with "short arse" (not the words I used) She sent me for an MRI Scan.
It found a cancer in my bladder Cancerous pollups in my prostate and an Aortic Anorism up under my Diafram. (yea! I know, spelling! )

Meanwhile I was enduring 7 Willy Cams, scrape and singe! as well as the willie cams in between to see if they worked and 15 ,(6+6+3 ) Immunotheropy where they filled my bladder with a very strong TB culture, which I had to retain in my bladder for 2 hours.

I kept telling them take the bleddy thing out"

I was told because of my age they were having doubts on me surviving, I had to go to Bristol to ride a bloody Bike, and take a cognizance test I proved them wrong! Had the Stent placed in December.

Another bloody Bike ride in late Jan and Feb 16 again in Bristol, under the knife, Bladder and Prostat removed, funnily enough I had no pain at all.

I'm glad it's all over, there is no "granddad wees" no pain! my wee trickles into a bag in my side, and at night I hook up to a larger bag on the floor (in a basin just in case!)

Enlarged Prostate? Ask for a scan! I was told that ALL men have Cancerous Pollups and can live with them till old age. Don't let them tell you that! get the thing taken out!

Anyway! Good luck to all!

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
I had treatment HT /RT I personally know 8 guys who had /got it only one death thankfully , it is so so common do not DELAY . Must admit thou I was really surprised how different health trusts treat pc different ways . I must give my local primary care full marks from the pathway they gave me .

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
I have a health medical every year and my last one showed my psa level at 3.7, okish for a man my age (63) but up from the previous year, doctors finger exam also detected prostate slightly rough on one side, not as smooth as a walnut as usual!
so off for an mri scan, inconclusive, so biopsy, really unpleasant, which showed of the 14 samples one was cancerous. Was a bit of a shock as I had absolutely no symptoms whatsoever.
As it was favourable intermediate cancer, I had all options open to me. I wanted it treated so decided on brachytherapy where they insert radioactive seeds into your prostate which over 9 months release their energy and kill off the cancer.
Its been an amazing treatment, in and out same day, no real side effects, go to the loo a bit more, sexually, all the mechanics working satisfactorily!!
Now in week 12 after treatment, feeling fine, next review in 2 weeks.
As others have said, get your psa checked, I had no symptoms, if I hadn’t had the test my outcome could have been far worse in the future.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….

I was run in gently as first time I had the twirling finger it was done gently by a young Scottish nurse at the hospital then second time the lady doctor at my surgery.
3rd time it was done by a male doctor that looked like Quasimodo and he was twirling so much I thought he had a yo yo up there🥲🥲
Went out a bit “John Wayne” after that session😳😳

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
I've read most of the posts on this thread and note the differences in the way PC is approached by differing health trusts. I think it would be helpful to many of us if those posting could indicate which health board was treating them.

Mine is Shrewsbury & Telford NHS Trust.
Mine was Cornwall Foundation NHS Trust and private treatment via Ramsay Healthcare.

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
I've read most of the posts on this thread and note the differences in the way PC is approached by differing health trusts. I think it would be helpful to many of us if those posting could indicate which health board was treating them.

Mine is Shrewsbury & Telford NHS Trust.
Western Hospital in Edinburgh.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
I was run in gently as first time I had the twirling finger it was done gently by a young Scottish nurse at the hospital then second time the lady doctor at my surgery.
3rd time it was done by a male doctor that looked like Quasimodo and he was twirling so much I thought he had a yo yo up there🥲🥲
Went out a bit “John Wayne” after that session😳😳
Deffo feels like a washing machine !

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Mine is Shrewsbury & Telford NHS Trust
Good point , I cannot fault any of my treatment and information given , from primary care to Southampton general hospital . To ongoing 6monthly psa test .

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
I wasn’t given the option of tv viewing but the staple gun firing was ok for about 10 shots final 4the nurse gave me encouragement 😂 saying you will be having a nice cup of tea and cake after this !!! They do it day in day out . Plenty plenty of numbing gel !!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back