Progress (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
I remember working on a large mainframe and it got to be about 2 in the morning. My wife by now had got fed up and was walking around the computer room floor. Now this main frame took 12 minutes to up sequence it and 14 minutes to down sequence it.
Eventually she said can we go home now! I replied that I just had to down sequence the main frame.

Her reply: For fuc*ks sake! just turn the bloody thing off!!!
Brilliant.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
I remember taping a lot of screeching noises from the radio, BBC, and the load it into a puter and IF it worked, which was very rarely, you had a simple game to play.

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Whilst working for ICI PLC Engineering Division in the 80's at Billingham (Teesside) one of my jobs was to have a new Ā£2.2m computer room installed in the Process Offices, this was to run the operating systems for the Ammonia plants. The room had floating air conditioned floor with glass wall, about 10 x 6m in size. It was filled with rows of white boxes.

A few years later I was in the building again and noticed the same room was empty except for one fridge sized white box, which was an updated IBM replacement for all those others that filled the room.

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
Remember Y2K? I spent more than 3 months surveying all our equipment that was supposed to stop working on 1st January 2000 and nothing happend. šŸ˜.
Anyone remember DW4?
Yes, I spent that New Yearā€™s Eve at work with some of my IT colleagues. Went home at around 2am with nothing to report!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Iā€™ve been lucky to enjoy my various roles in broadcast media for 37 years.
But the physical appliance hardware products I need to support are now replaced by cloud derivatives ā˜¹ļøšŸ¤¬
Worse, my employer has realised my role is finite. Early 2022 the role will be wrapped up.
At the start of my career some of the hardware to manipulate video took several 48RU equipment racks. If you watched TV shows like Top Of The Tops, the studio showā€™s wipes and reveals on that wouldā€™ve needed a couple of racks šŸ˜œ

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
Elaine was working as a programmer on a mainframe computer around 1974 or 75. The mainframe had 16k of RAM ... And the animals went in two by two ... :LOL:

Steve
I was a computer operator on an ICL1901A around then. It was upgraded to a 1901T with the addition of another 16k of RAM, which was the size of a small wardrobe.

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
I was a computer operator on an ICL1901A around then. It was upgraded to a 1901T with the addition of another 16k of RAM, which was the size of a small wardrobe.
I was working in a Bank at the time and we had Burroughs TC500 terminals installed [with a golfball printhead1] connected to the Wythenshawe Computer Centre. Paper Tape program loaded, and then OCK1/PSK3 to start [IIRC]. OCK = Operator Control Key and PSK = Program Select Key. And I thought there was a spelling error at closedown, because, instead of 'End', the program responded with 'EOD', which a colleague explained patiently stood for 'End Of Day' ... Which possibly explains why I spent most of my work day hand posting the Deposit & Savings Account Ledgers by hand with a dip pen; the worst damage I could manage was to break the nib ... :giggle:

Steve

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Next to the BT Tower in Birmingham, there's a 16 floor tower block. When it was built, half the building was dedicated to housing floor upon floor of 13 foot high telephone switches. As it was the cold war, the building, like the tower, was designed to survive a 1 megaton nuclear bomb.

The building became vacant in the early 2000s because all the switches had been converted to digital. All the switching gear now fitted into a single 6 foot rack in the basement.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I read somewhere (forget now where) that there is more computer power in a basic calculator than was in the first lunar landing module which put the first men on the moon in 1969. šŸ˜±
Todayā€™s iPhones have 7 million times more memory than the computer on board Apollo 11 and a processing speed 100,000 times faster.

https://www.business-standard.com/a...-the-moon-like-apollo-did-119070200272_1.html

Hmm, it seems you have to subscribe which I didn't have to do a month ago when I used the info as an answer to a quiz I prepared for my motorbike club night.

Last edited:

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
How many of you bought pc magazines and tried to type program listings into your amstrad / amega etc etc?
It taught me how bad my typing was!

Sep 22, 2020
Baltics
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Feel like an old timer
I read somewhere (forget now where) that there is more computer power in a basic calculator than was in the first lunar landing module which put the first men on the moon in 1969.
Before they went to the moon the US and NASA spent about a million dollars developing a pen that would write in zero gravity.
The Russians took a pencil. :xdoh:

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Before they went to the moon the US and NASA spent about a million dollars developing a pen that would write in zero gravity.
The Russians took a pencil. :xdoh:

šŸ˜±šŸ˜‰šŸ˜‚

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Who remembers the Telex machines and the miles of paper tapes that went with them?
Yep. And the first fax machines when you had to make a negative and then put it back through the machine.
When I started work in 1963 as a 'Junior Clerk' with Brighton Corporation my last job at night was to empty the ink wells of around 20 desks and wash them out. Each morning I had to refill them, change the nibs in the pens and fit fresh paper in all the 20 blotters.
All staff had an inkwell for red and for black and the Chief Clerk had green as well.
After about 3 months I refused to collect the Boro' Surveyors executive lunch and 1/2 bottle of wine on a tray from the Pump House restaurant and carry it back through the streets to his office. I was fired.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2020
Baltics
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Feel like an old timer
Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Oh you spoiled my funster moment, please don't do that again :cry:
Sorryā€¦ā€¦.

Would it make you feel better if you knew you could get one delivered in time for Christmas šŸ˜‰

6573C61C-6B7F-44D0-8BB9-D4BAAAE319B9.jpeg

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
I remember spending hours and hours typing code from a magazine for a PC game into my ZX, then it didn't work.

I got the message 'syntax error'

I spent almost as long trying to find out what the heck Syntax was, no one I asked had any idea.

Oct 29, 2021
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Most of my life in one form or another
There was a radio program might havr been Radio 2 , late at night thatlet you record programs onto tape then load onto the Spectrum. I never had one work.

Derekā€™soldvan

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 19, 2021
Plymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
Ageing Hobby 650
When we first got our 'diskless' PC's at work they came with a 720k floppy disk that held the Operating system, Wordperfect, Supercalc and DataEase. There was still room to save your work!

Those were the hard plastic disks that you guys probably remember best. Before then there were truly floppy disks, I think the only ones I used were 360k but that doesn't mean there were not smaller šŸ˜‰
WordPerfect - forgot about that, fond memories

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Who remembers the Telex machines and the miles of paper tapes that went with them?

The engineering consultancy firm where my dad worked had the telex address CREEPHOLE :xrofl:

I also remember operating a telex machine in the City. There was a kind of transition period when we migrated to fax then email.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
The other big transition during my early career was from manual to electric typewriters, followed by the IBM Displaywriter, a dedicated word processing station with a shared fast printer. It used those giant floppy disks. At last it had become easy for law firms to churn out long documents on an epic scale. That's how e.g. internet companies have evolved terms and conditions with more words than any of Shakespeare's plays.

In about 1982 I got to try out the first proper laptop, the IBM clamshell running DOS. Before Windows or built-in hard disks. Mostly used it to play a D&D type game called Rogue, very popular in our office.

Not forgetting the yukky old wet photocopying process. A few years after that I was operating a huge Xerox copier in the basement.

Derekā€™soldvan

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 19, 2021
Plymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
Ageing Hobby 650
Todayā€™s iPhones have 7 million times more memory than the computer on board Apollo 11 and a processing speed 100,000 times faster.

https://www.business-standard.com/a...-the-moon-like-apollo-did-119070200272_1.html

Hmm, it seems you have to subscribe which I didn't have to do a month ago when I used the info as an answer to a quiz I prepared for my motorbike club night.
ā€œThe power of the godsā€ at our fingertips & we use it to ā€œphone mumā€ & make comments on forums, progress?

Derekā€™soldvan

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 19, 2021
Plymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
Ageing Hobby 650
The other big transition during my early career was from manual to electric typewriters, followed by the IBM Displaywriter, a dedicated word processing station with a shared fast printer. It used those giant floppy disks. At last it had become easy for law firms to churn out long documents on an epic scale. That's how e.g. internet companies have evolved terms and conditions with more words than any of Shakespeare's plays.

In about 1982 I got to try out the first proper laptop, the IBM clamshell running DOS. Before Windows or built-in hard disks. Mostly used it to play a D&D type game called Rogue, very popular in our office.

Not forgetting the yukky old wet photocopying process. A few years after that I was operating a huge Xerox copier in the basement.
Does anyone have fond memories of duke Nukem?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back