Portugal toll (School boy error) (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
So after reading all about tolls in Portugal and having a Fulli, I think I’ve just made a stupid school boy error, came over the border from Spain thinking there would be booths across the full road, anyhow I was overtaking a HGV and watched as he peeled off right into said toll booth looking area, as we were heading to Tavira we literally pulled off the road a couple of kms down the road. To avoid a fine I can register the vehicle today, so will it have picked my short section up to pay?

Do I then have to remove my Fulli so I don’t get double charged after I’ve registered the vehicles number plate for further journeys?

Aug 3, 2021
Caterham-on-the-Hill, UK
Funster No
MH
Pegaso - 740
So after reading all about tolls in Portugal and having a Fulli, I think I’ve just made a stupid school boy error, came over the border from Spain thinking there would be booths across the full road, anyhow I was overtaking a HGV and watched as he peeled off right into said toll booth looking area, as we were heading to Tavira we literally pulled off the road a couple of kms down the road. To avoid a fine I can register the vehicle today, so will it have picked my short section up to pay?

Do I then have to remove my Fulli so I don’t get double charged after I’ve registered the vehicles number plate for further journeys?
There is a way of checking online for any charges pending in Portugal I believe, and when I made a similar error in a rental car was also told that going into a post office with the registration number is a way of paying any amounts due before they issue fines. I think you have around 7-10 days to do this from memory?

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014

Don't use tolls as sat nav is set to slow mode and I have all the time in the world. So what is the point of reading up about tolls and sorting out a tag for prepayment of a toll etc etc? Then having to worry about paying and removing tag

Interested as we are hopefully heading to Portugal on 28th of this month We are 4t and didn't think we would be covered with a tag?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
Don't use tolls as sat nav is set to slow mode and I have all the time in the world. So what is the point of reading up about tolls and sorting out a tag for prepayment of a toll etc etc? Then having to worry about paying and removing tag

Interested as we are hopefully heading to Portugal on 28th of this month We are 4t and didn't think we would be covered with a tag?
I'm having difficulty understanding, do you want more information on using a tag, or do you not need to use one?

Cheers
Red.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
I’m waiting for a fine from Portugal from last November when we had registered but went through a Green lane that I think was a different toll system! Who knows!

Feb 16, 2024
Funster No
MH
Touring
As already mentioned if you came off at the first junction coming from Spain on A22 inside Portugal, for Castro Marim and Vila Real San Antonio then you have no toll to pay.

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
If you peeled off at the first junction after the bridge then you're safe.
Just realised we came off at 17 passed 18 so not the first junction, this is what we missed

IMG_2275.png

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
If you have a Fulli tag and it is working you do not need to register. Eventually (poss 3/4 weeks) it will pop up on the Fulli app.
See post #9 hence registration

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No

See post 9, I was adjacent to a HGV, I didn’t realise I needed to pull off the main road into a different area.

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
As already mentioned if you came off at the first junction coming from Spain on A22 inside Portugal, for Castro Marim and Vila Real San Antonio then you have no toll to pay.
Unfortunately it was the second junction 🤷‍♀️🤦‍♂️

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
I don't understand the problem.
I missed the lane with the electronic toll tag symbol after coming over the bridge, should I have gone through this to for my Fulli tag to have activated before carrying on to the junction I left ie junction 18?

Sep 28, 2021
Worcester, UK
Funster No
MH
LMC premium I650G
Exp
35y tugging + 2 in Motorhome
I’m waiting for a fine from Portugal from last November when we had registered but went through a Green lane that I think was a different toll system! Who knows!
We did last year😡, we had a letter through the post from a UK company 2months later with a picture of us going through the toll and a fine😡

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
I'm having difficulty understanding, do you want more information on using a tag, or do you not need to use one?

Cheers
Red.
Hi sorry doesn't read right

I could not understand the point of the toll tag and the research on tolls the op had done. Only for the tag to be of no use and talk of removing the tag just incase of being charged twice because they didn't stop at a toll they missed by overtaking a lorry.
My point was what was the point of the toll tag? I thought it mean't you didn't need to stop.

I have thought of a Toll tag just incase of accidentally ending up on one. Is there one that covers France Spain and Portugal for a 4T van?

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
See post 9, I was adjacent to a HGV, I didn’t realise I needed to pull off the main road into a different area.
So just seen the Photo and to me that is a ridiculous way to do tolls and just leaves it open for them to send out a lot of fines.

Is that for foreign vehicles only?

Did you only have to go through that because you didn't activate your tag?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We are entering Portugal about the same day. I have a Fulli tag not yet used in anger as it is replacing my ATMB one which is 8 years old and battery must be low. We are 3.5t but I understand from other posters that you can order a tag without declaring weight and you should be Class 2 (or equivalent) as a motorhome.
I am trusting that my Fulli tag will allow me anywhere in France, Spain , Portugal without any further registration.
I don’t know why the OP is worrying.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
We are entering Portugal about the same day. I have a Fulli tag not yet used in anger as it is replacing my ATMB one which is 8 years old and battery must be low. We are 3.5t but I understand from other posters that you can order a tag without declaring weight and you should be Class 2 (or equivalent) as a motorhome.
I am trusting that my Fulli tag will allow me anywhere in France, Spain , Portugal without any further registration.
We cross to France on the 28th then down to Portugal.
We also have the same van as you. (y):LOL: I've up plated but they don't know that. I will look at the Fulli Tag now.

Having looked quickly are you on the Fulli nomads+? Is it just a Card ?

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
We also have the same van as you. (y):LOL: I've up plated but they don't know that. I will look at the Fulli Tag now.

No, it's a small device that you stick behind your mirror, or in that area about half the size of a matchbox.

Cheers
Red.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I missed the lane with the electronic toll tag symbol after coming over the bridge, should I have gone through this to for my Fulli tag to have activated before carrying on to the junction I left ie junction 18?
As billym says, that lane is for foreign cars which do not have a tag. You drive up to the barrier (it won't work if you are too far away) it reads your numberplate and subsequently charges your bank card which you also have to show it.

With a tag you don't need to do this.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp

The Nomad + as might be going to Italy in autumn. Same price anyway.
We don’t have the lovely VW680, but the Fiat 630. We are missing out France and travelling on ferry on 24th. We have done it both ways (driving and ferry) and at this time of year love going to bed and waking up in Spain. So expecting to be in Portugal on 28th or 29th. Have booked a campsite for Easter weekend.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
As billym says, that lane is for foreign cars which do not have a tag. You drive up to the barrier (it won't work if you are too far away) it reads your numberplate and subsequently charges your bank card which you also have to show it.

With a tag you don't need to do this.
I assume you mean you don't need to pull into that area and the tag would bleep as you drove past on the 2 lanes straight on as you drove past.

Sorry for sounding stupid never had a tag before.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022

Yes, in my experience all of that is correct. I ordered our Fulli (Mango as Wes) tag using the details of my wife’s small Kia Soul car as we hadn’t at that time taken delivery of the moho. I subsequently changed the registration number in the Fulli app and although we were at 3650kg, (but outwardly identical to the 3500kg version), we were charged as Class 2 everywhere last year. I’ve since up plated to 4250kg and I’m still Class 2.

Aug 13, 2021
Oxford, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria 600 SPB
Exp
Since 2021
I assume you mean you don't need to pull into that area and the tag would bleep as you drove past on the 2 lanes straight on as you drove past.

Sorry for sounding stupid never had a tag before.
Correct. I drove past that area a few days ago and my bip and go tag beeped as l drove under the gantry a few kilometres on.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Just tried to order Fulli but will not accept my English bank details then throws you off the page.

How did anyone get around that?

Might look at the Bip and go

Jan 1, 2016
Saundersfoot
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
6 years
I came off at junction 17 back in January. Thought I might have had a fine but not yet. Think the toll starts between 17 and 16. We left also left at junction 17 Togo back to Spain and did not c cameras etc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back