Portugal/Spain Touring in September & October (1 Viewer)

Lee16

Funster
Sep 14, 2016
Reading
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo
Exp
Since 2015
Hi Helpful MH people.

Thinking of Touring as above Portugal & Spain in September & October.
A couple of nights at each site, maybe 2, 3, 4.

We have not been to Europe since pre Covid so back in 2019, last trip.

When we travelled before we just phoned or turned up at mainly ACSI Sites and most were available. Is this the same now or do all sites need to be pre booked?
Any hints or tips would be useful plus any recommendations.

Will take the Santander route and mainly prefer sites near the coast, a town but happy for inland on route stopovers.

Many thanks.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Hi Helpful MH people.

Thinking of Touring as above Portugal & Spain in September & October.
A couple of nights at each site, maybe 2, 3, 4.

We have not been to Europe since pre Covid so back in 2019, last trip.

When we travelled before we just phoned or turned up at mainly ACSI Sites and most were available. Is this the same now or do all sites need to be pre booked?
Any hints or tips would be useful plus any recommendations.

Will take the Santander route and mainly prefer sites near the coast, a town but happy for inland on route stopovers.

Many thanks.
Should be OK that time of year no need to book. In Portugal kids don't go back till mid September so ACSI rates don't kick in till then.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
So I did this Sept/Oct/Nov/Dec 2023, so the most recent period you could have an answer for.

We stayed costal from Zamujera on SW Portugal Atlantic Coast all round the Algarve, over into Spain hugging the coast round to Gib, round through Malaga region, around the coast to Mojacar, Vera, round to Mazarron then up to Alicante. It was busy everywhere, but in popular places, there was literally no room and we were trying multiple options to park up/camp.

I posted about just how busy it was last year as we were genuinely surprised.

I’ve been on the Mar Menor coast since the New Year and our usual winter spot is already booked (bar a handful of spaces) for winter 24/25 and getting busy for 25/26 too.

Completely crazy it is!

My advice, if you want a particular site, book it. If you will be happy in the general area and will compromise on site quality, you will find somewhere. Inland is easier; I am led to believe.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Should be OK that time of year no need to book. In Portugal kids don't go back till mid September so ACSI rates don't kick in till then.

See my post above… if this is based on legacy experience then unfortunately it’s outdated based on my experience last autumn…

My usual caveat on this topic applies, before I get ‘flamed’ 🙃 is that I accept you will always find somewhere to park, we are in a Motorhome after all. 🤪

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
So I did this Sept/Oct/Nov/Dec 2023, so the most recent period you could have an answer for.

We stayed costal from Zamujera on SW Portugal Atlantic Coast all round the Algarve, over into Spain hugging the coast round to Gib, round through Malaga region, around the coast to Mojacar, Vera, round to Mazarron then up to Alicante. It was busy everywhere, but in popular places, there was literally no room and we were trying multiple options to park up/camp.

I posted about just how busy it was last year as we were genuinely surprised.

I’ve been on the Mar Menor coast since the New Year and our usual winter spot is already booked (bar a handful of spaces) for winter 24/25 and getting busy for 25/26 too.

Completely crazy it is!

My advice, if you want a particular site, book it. If you will be happy in the general area and will compromise on site quality, you will find somewhere. Inland is easier; I am led to believe.

Scary stuff. Just booked the tunnel yesterday for Christmas / New Year trip to Spain. But not the sites as yet. Was thinking of mar Menor area. Been looking at plays del mazarron or whatever you call it. Sounds like I need to get in toot sweet then 😳😳

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Scary stuff. Just booked the tunnel yesterday for Christmas / New Year trip to Spain. But not the sites as yet. Was thinking of mar Menor area. Been looking at plays del mazarron or whatever you call it. Sounds like I need to get in toot sweet then 😳😳
We are at Mar Menor now, Los Alcazares both aires full, we are in the car park with 35 others. Got a site at el pinet tomorrow got a cancellation.

Jul 12, 2022
Funster No
MH
On Order.Carado V337
Search for sites ....not had an issue yet and so much easier than the UK ...an absolute joy to travel in these countries which are setup for motorhomes.

Nov 19, 2010
Walking the dog
Funster No
MH
Hymer 680 Starline
Exp
since 2012
We did the Picos last September and had no problem just turning up at the few sites we used. Also stayed on a couple of good camperstops.
You should be OK if you choose to stop whilst travelling through that region.

Terry

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
We've spent the end of Sept/Oct/beginning of Nov the last two years in Spain and Portugal. We've never booked and always found a place on the aires and campsites we visited.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back