Portable air conditioning units (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Since 2021
Morning all,

We are looking at purchasing a portable air con unit for our motorhome, any suggestions on what is the best one to get, we have seen one that looks neat and it is a split caravan and motorhome air conditioner on a camping and outdoor leisure website but the reviews i have read have about this company very poor, any suggestions on what air con unit is a good one, we want portable as we will be changing our motorhome next year and we will use it at home when not touring.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
There are evaporative air conditioners (also know as swamp coolers) that tend to be cheaper and they do run on lower power. They need ice or water to work. Generally they aren't very good. Good ventilation is a better solution most of the time.

Compressor air conditioners do properly chill the air. But they also require a lot of power and they are noisy. Many people complain about their neighbours using air compressor conditioners at night.

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
You'll always have the issue of venting to the outside and emptying the condensation tray if you go for a portable household model. I've also seen the one ones below on a few vans/caravans but I don't know how effective they are.
Personally we have always gone roof mounted.

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
You'll always have the issue of venting to the outside and emptying the condensation tray if you go for a portable household model. I've also seen the one ones below on a few vans/caravans but I don't know how effective they are.
Personally we have always gone roof mounted.
that's what I was going to suggest !

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Split unit compressor AC units are the best. They don't waste energy by continuously sucking in warm air from outside. And they keep it slightly quieter inside. Window mount AC is very common in the US.

I've not seen that model before. And I couldn't see much detail about it. Which worried me a bit.

Edit: they are still power hungry and fairly noisy though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
There are evaporative air conditioners (also know as swamp coolers) that tend to be cheaper and they do run on lower power. They need ice or water to work. Generally they aren't very good. Good ventilation is a better solution most of the time.

Compressor air conditioners do properly chill the air. But they also require a lot of power and they are noisy. Many people complain about their neighbours using air compressor conditioners at night.
What do you class as a lot of power ?
My Truma easily will run on a 5 amp hook up and is far from noisy on night mode
If i stand outside the noise on slowest setting is barely audible
on a recent trip to Bilbao on the city aire the young couple in the pvc next to me couldn’t even hear it when i asked

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
on a recent trip to Bilbao on the city aire the young couple in the pvc next to me couldn’t even hear it when i asked
5amps is fine for EHU. But difficult on battery.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T
Apr 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Since 2021
Is this a air con on your motorhome or camper, is this a permeant fixture in your van or is this portable to take out when not in use Neil S?

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Is this a air con on your motorhome or camper, is this a permeant fixture in your van or is this portable to take out when not in use Neil S?
fitted in a standard 400 x 400 roof light aperture
it is designed to retrofitted and can be removed , the roof light reinstated
my truma unit was fitted to a previous van

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2011
Funster No
Morning all,

We are looking at purchasing a portable air con unit for our motorhome, any suggestions on what is the best one to get, we have seen one that looks neat and it is a split caravan and motorhome air conditioner on a camping and outdoor leisure website but the reviews i have read have about this company very poor, any suggestions on what air con unit is a good one, we want portable as we will be changing our motorhome next year and we will use it at home when not touring.
I am looking for something similar. What did you choose in the end? I don't really want to fork out for a full air conditioning unit at over £600 as I will only want it for the bedroom at night. Thank you in advance!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Why do many people think roof mounted motorhome air con - or any air con for that matter, is only for cooling? The Truma Aventa Comfort is low noise and will also heat & dehumidify, the latter being ideal for removing condensation which can create mould & mildew.

The Mestic split portable unit consumes less than 2 amps and is ideal for a portable powerstation such as as an Ecoflow Delta.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Cool my camper air conditioning are very effective. You just need somewhere to store them when travelling.

Swifter may be able to add/offer any comments...

Upvote 0

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Cool my camper air conditioning are very effective. You just need somewhere to store them when travelling.

Swifter may be able to add/offer any comments...

We haven’t used it as much since we moved away from EHU sites . We now tend to do rallies and stay at sites with no EHU. However we still take it if it’s going to be really hot and we can run it for a few hours with the lithium set up we have. We tend to use the endless breeze fans more but I still think it’s a brilliant unit and certainly wouldn’t sell it .

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
That is because of the absolutely tremendous acoustic and thermal insulating properties that all PVC possess..🤣🤣🤣🤣

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back