Pilote G600 (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
I'm looking at a 2014 Pilote G600 and before I travel 300 miles to see it can someone tell me what size the drop down bed is ?

Broken Link Removed

Big difference in price ??

What is the build quality like, anything like a Hymer ?? as we are looking at Hymer B544 too.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I'm looking at a 2014 Pilote G600 and before I travel 300 miles to see it can someone tell me what size the drop down bed is ?

Broken Link Removed

Big difference in price ??

What is the build quality like, anything like a Hymer ?? as we are looking at Hymer B544 too.

Hi BB,

The price difference comes from the fact that the £46,000 van is a whole generation ahead of the £39,995 priced vehicle.

The current G600 changed again for the MY17 production but the majority of changes over the £46,000 priced vehicle are mainly external ones.

Therefore:

1. Up to mid-MY14 production: The £39,995 van
2. Between Q3,14 and Q4,16/Q2,17 (depending on registration date): The £46,000 van.
3. Q1,17: The new G600 facelift version.

I'm slightly biased but I would always go for a Pilote before a Hymer.

All the best,

Andrew

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I am biased as well, towards Hymer. The reason being that I had a new Pilote years ago, quite a few initial faults. However the real,problem was that a batch of them had been produced with an inner skin attached by steel staples, these reacted with the outer alloy skin making the van look as though it had measles. Pilote said they would fix the French registered vans first, the UK ones would wait until then, could be up to a year. Got rid of it and had two Hymers since, bought direct from Germany and never had any problems whatever.

You pays your money and takes your choice .........

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I respect your opinion and I also acknowledge the fact that an individual is responsible for his/her own money and that in your particular case you've splashed it on a very nice new Hymer.

My take on things is that I've not quite bought into all of the Hymer hype which seems to be regularly promulgated by its old and faithful clientele.

I just don't get it at all. I've inspected a few Hymer vans which in terms of size would equate to my Pilote but, that said, I've not been at all impressed against the extra £20,000 of lolly which it would take to purchase said Hymer; not at all! I'm probably missing something but thankfully for the Hymer brand there are a whole load of people with good cash flows who believe that they get what they pay for. Good on em' and if it makes them happy then so be it.

You make reference to the fact that you've had two Hymer vans since your Pilote saga but by me researching the recent Pilote glitch history then I would say that the French have now got their $hit together.

The UK Pilote market increased by 28% this year and forecasted sales for MY18 seem likely to increase significantly due to its good reputation so, if anyone thinks that Pilote Corporate are now going to jeopardise one of its main strategic markets (i.e. French before Brits), then I would say that they are ultimately way off the mark.

All in all I am really chuffed with my new Pilote and IMO it is a better deal for me as I seem to be getting the same quality van as a Hymer, possibly better IMO and for £20,000 less.

All the best,

Andrew

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Hi BB,

The price difference comes from the fact that the £46,000 van is a whole generation ahead of the £39,995 priced vehicle.

The current G600 changed again for the MY17 production but the majority of changes over the £46,000 priced vehicle are mainly external ones.

Therefore:

1. Up to mid-MY14 production: The £39,995 van
2. Between Q3,14 and Q4,16/Q2,17 (depending on registration date): The £46,000 van.
3. Q1,17: The new G600 facelift version.

I'm slightly biased but I would always go for a Pilote before a Hymer.

All the best,

Andrew

How can you tell ? they are both identical inside and out ? except the cheaper is an Adventura.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
How can you tell ? they are both identical inside and out ? except the cheaper is an Adventura.

The outside is via the position of the new Pilote roof sign above the windscreen, plus the more modern decals. If you look inside then the upholstery design is different styles including the structure of the rear head units. They'll be a number of facelifted mods but the pics identify the most obvious.

Cheers,

Andrew

Attachments

• 20170911_223827.jpg
    20170911_223827.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 20170911_223350.jpg
    20170911_223350.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 80

Freedom Hunter

Free Member
May 6, 2012
Sherborne
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2008
Blue Knight - cheers!! I too love our new Pilote P740GJ - don't want to 'talk it up', but so far 'sweet as a nut and perfect'....!! Love it!!

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
Went to the MH show yesterday looking at the P740C which I want and comparing with similar designed other makes. Criteria - Island bed and Garage suitable for motorbike.
Few other makes now have copied Pilote but none compare with it.
So Project P740C is still on.

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Well every time we got o NEC the top to manufactuers we keep comiong back to are Rapido and Pilote. Althought Rapido still our fav a few months back at SMC in Newark they had a rather nice top of the range Pilote in at £75k one of the few vans I have entered and gone wow I want. The wife had to drag me away.... Couldn't have afforded it atm anyway but I reckon had it been a further down the line and closer to retirement it might have been a whole different story...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
same as @Jagtazman Love my 2010 Rapido on a 3-0L Merc with an auto box. But this year, I nearly changed it. Seriously considered it and looked at the Cathago 150 on an A class a frankia and a couple of Pilote's. All very nice with lovely bling all modern but when I got back in to the Rapido I just thought , I have real wood, proper wood solid wood. It may be heavier but it's still real. Unfortunately be it Hymer to Cathago, the push for ever lighter vans is squeezing them in to mass production and there's little difference in quality between a roller team and a cathago these days. Hymer do nothing more than live off a name of the past when they used to build quality vans, a bit like Mercedes in a way.

I am not saying any of them are not any good, I am simply saying that there is such little difference between them, any of them. If you like the Pilote, it fits you and you want it, I wouldn't worry about a couple of graphic changes.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Blue Knight - cheers!! I too love our new Pilote P740GJ - don't want to 'talk it up', but so far 'sweet as a nut and perfect'....!! Love it!!

That's fab news indeed. Did you go straight to SV Tech or did you venture around Durham for a few days.

Regards,

Andrew

Freedom Hunter

Free Member
May 6, 2012
Sherborne
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2008
HI Andrew!
We stayed in Wolsingham for 5 days, then went to the Lincoln show - just in case of problems and easier to go back north. We've done 700 miles already and so far no problems and loving our Pilote! Dec off to Portugal for 4 months - can't wait! Went to Vanbitz and has a Strikeback Growler alarm fitted, twin Dometic reversing camera, battery master and Oyster satellite dish. Really spoiling ourselves! Thrilled to bits!

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
HI Andrew!
We stayed in Wolsingham for 5 days, then went to the Lincoln show - just in case of problems and easier to go back north. We've done 700 miles already and so far no problems and loving our Pilote! Dec off to Portugal for 4 months - can't wait! Went to Vanbitz and has a Strikeback Growler alarm fitted, twin Dometic reversing camera, battery master and Oyster satellite dish. Really spoiling ourselves! Thrilled to bits!

....and that's what you should be doing - spoiling yourselves:cool:(y):D

Have a great time in Portugal and be sure to send some pics back with your Pilote adventures.

Take care and best wishes,

Andrew

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back