Piano (1 Viewer)

Feb 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
burster harmony 690
Exp
Hi anyone play piano? I bought one in lockdown and still struggling to play? any help welcome. Thanks.

Apr 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
Herald 400RL
Sorry its not good news from me, I had lessons weekly for 2 years and played at least 30 minutes a day, sometimes much longer, and eventually gave it up as I couldn't string much together above grade 1. It's just not for me which is a shame as I love the noise.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Hi anyone play piano? I bought one in lockdown and still struggling to play? any help welcome. Thanks.
Are you having lessons?. I play the guitar ( after a fashion) the thing that made a difference was playing with others so I don't know how I would have got on with the piano.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 13, 2022
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Sussex
I was a brass player for many years and then I thought I'd try a piano. I regretted it straight away as the piano I purchased at great expense was faulty. It had not been fitted with a mouthpiece.

:LOL:
Me too, in fact that's how I met my wife (we both played in the same brass band). I could cope with the different combinations of 3 valves but, when I tried keyboards (SWMBO plays organ) there was far too much choice! 🎺 🎹

OP
OP
S
Feb 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
burster harmony 690
Exp
Sorry its not good news from me, I had lessons weekly for 2 years and played at least 30 minutes a day, sometimes much longer, and eventually gave it up as I couldn't string much together above grade 1. It's just not for me which is a shame as I love the noise.
thats exactly how I feel but thanks anyway

Jun 27, 2021
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Twelve months and still learning.
Me too, in fact that's how I met my wife (we both played in the same brass band). I could cope with the different combinations of 3 valves but, when I tried keyboards (SWMBO plays organ) there was far too much choice! 🎺 🎹
Eeeh lad. Thou was t'lucky one. I had to play with a four valve euphonium!

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Son bought me a uke for a birthday a few years back and despite encouragement from Janine and others it still sits in the corner, I struggle to get my fingers around the long bit!

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Just a suggestion but have you looked for tutorials on Youtube? I had a quick glance and there are loads available....
I used to play the Cello and would have loved to have played the piano properly but ended up selling the cello to buy my first pony!

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Just a suggestion but have you looked for tutorials on Youtube? I had a quick glance and there are loads available....
I used to play the Cello and would have loved to have played the piano properly but ended up selling the cello to buy my first pony!
I bet the cello was cheaper to run 🤣

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Bought a piano in lockdown about 3 years ago I got hold of loads of video tutorials but then followed a guy on youtube for the first 6 months. I even learnt and practised scales. Then I got hold of a couple of EZ play piano books which make it a lot easier to play. Practised every day at least an hour sometimes maybe more and eventually managed to play a few tunes. The only thing is we go away for 10 weeks in spring and the same in autumn. When I return it always feel like i'm starting again. Last saturday I had a bit of a doo in the house and friends asked me to play, we started playing 'name that tune' and most were able to guess the tune in a few seconds so quite pleased that what I play must sound a bit like the tune. I would definitely get hold of the EZ play books.

Jul 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New to motorhomes, had a camper van before this.
Depends what style you want to play. 2 years in on classical piano you will probably feel that it's still an uphill struggle. However, you can get a decent sound out and enjoy yourself by just learning some left-hand chords and banging out a tune with the right. Despite being classically trained, this is what I most often do these days as I'm too lazy to practise!

Sep 2, 2020
Ladybarn, Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Bought a piano in lockdown about 3 years ago I got hold of loads of video tutorials but then followed a guy on youtube for the first 6 months. I even learnt and practised scales. Then I got hold of a couple of EZ play piano books which make it a lot easier to play. Practised every day at least an hour sometimes maybe more and eventually managed to play a few tunes. The only thing is we go away for 10 weeks in spring and the same in autumn. When I return it always feel like i'm starting again. Last saturday I had a bit of a doo in the house and friends asked me to play, we started playing 'name that tune' and most were able to guess the tune in a few seconds so quite pleased that what I play must sound a bit like the tune. I would definitely get hold of the EZ play books.
Buy a small electric keyboard for the van (y)

You will probably find one cheap in a charity shop

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
The one interesting thing I have noticed over the years is those that learn to play music by reading it, cannot play a tune without it written down on a sheet.
Those that play by ear, are much better at playing most things, but especially when they want to improvise toward something like a jam session or even jazz.
Reminds me of "You hum it son, I will play it"(y):giggle:
LES

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
The one interesting thing I have noticed over the years is those that learn to play music by reading it, cannot play a tune without it written down on a sheet.
Those that play by ear, are much better at playing most things, but especially when they want to improvise toward something like a jam session or even jazz.
LES
I think a lot of depends on how your brain works rather than how you learnt originally.

A bit like an artist versus someone painting by numbers.

I learnt to play by reading music -I played trombone in the school orchestra - but have never been able to play by ear.

I did teach myself to play piano as a young teen using my grandmother’s hymn books 😂

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
A bloke used to play guitar in the local pub on a weekend.
He never learnt to read music but could just about play any tune asked of him and played well.
Up to doing pub music you don't need to really read music but when you get to a certain point you need some chord theory if you start to get into jazz.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
We got a piano 2yrs back, since swapped it for one with a silent (thanks god) 4 of ours play but have all used an app on an iPad that they follow. My neighbours just shrug their shoulders at the thought of learning piano via an app, both are piano teachers with one being a classic pianist

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
About 10 years ago having no musical experience I bought a Yamaha keyboard with great intentions, but alas life got in the way and I sold it, then 2 years ago I retired early as health issues made my physical job too demanding.
Earlier this year having exhausted all the little jobs my wife could find for me :whistle2: I found myself with too much time on my hands, so I went to Ebay and bought the same model of keyboard which I'd sold.
First thing I bought was these key stickers https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/38398741...d=link&campid=5338547443&toolid=20001&mkevt=1 and a Hal Leonard Super Easy songbook of Pop Standards.
I threw myself into it for a few weeks (as you do) playing an hour a day. Now 3 months later I play once or twice a week, sometimes not at all. I've watched a good number of YouTube videos.
I can now read music and understand it (to a point) Without the book and the stickers I would definitely have given up by now, can't recommend them enough. I can play the left hand and right hand parts ..... but not at the same time:doh: I've taught myself to play 'Flower of Scotland' and 'Loch Lomond' by ear (if you can sing along it helps greatly with your timing) and I'm presently working on the iconic 'Whiter Shade of Pale' which would be an absolute dream come true to learn(y)
Good luck(y)

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New to motorhomes, had a camper van before this.
LES
I learnt to read music about the same time I learnt to read, and I agree it‘s a real challenge to teach yourself to play by ear after that. I did it so that I could join in during sessions at folk festivals.

I remember in the higher grades my flute teacher wanted me to play from memory, and I just couldn’t do it, even though with the music in front of me I barely looked at it.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
About 10 years ago having no musical experience I bought a Yamaha keyboard with great intentions, but alas life got in the way and I sold it, then 2 years ago I retired early as health issues made my physical job too demanding.
Earlier this year having exhausted all the little jobs my wife could find for me :whistle2: I found myself with too much time on my hands, so I went to Ebay and bought the same model of keyboard which I'd sold.
First thing I bought was these key stickers https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/38398741...d=link&campid=5338547443&toolid=20001&mkevt=1 and a Hal Leonard Super Easy songbook of Pop Standards.
I threw myself into it for a few weeks (as you do) playing an hour a day. Now 3 months later I play once or twice a week, sometimes not at all. I've watched a good number of YouTube videos.
I can now read music and understand it (to a point) Without the book and the stickers I would definitely have given up by now, can't recommend them enough. I can play the left hand and right hand parts ..... but not at the same time:doh: I've taught myself to play 'Flower of Scotland' and 'Loch Lomond' by ear (if you can sing along it helps greatly with your timing) and I'm presently working on the iconic 'Whiter Shade of Pale' which would be an absolute dream come true to learn(y)
Good luck(y)

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp

I bought 3. Finding the time when abroad is dificult and my home piano has weighted keys. Don't want to go back to electronic as it might interfere with any progress. But good suggestion.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Cash Converters (or whatever it's been rebranded as) is usually a good source of cheap musical instruments. I guess it is the first thing to go when money is tight.

I got a small keyboard for £15 a couple of years ago.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Our keyboard came off Facebook marketplace for a tenner. It's just used for working out keys/scales etc. I don't really use it Liz is the " proper" musician grade 8 piano and flute as a yougster now jazz sax and flute improvises in her head usually without music and playing often without really knowing why she's playing what she does unless she stops and thinks about it. I'm a mere mortal!

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I took up the Harmonica, can knockout a tune that I recognise, not sure anyone else does though. Like anything practice practice practice and after awhile it falls into place. My main problem is remembering where I am in the tune. It amazes me when you watch someone playing a really complicate piece without music is how they remember it.

I also made an electric 3 string cigar box guitar that is great fun.

I like watching this guitarist.

And this Harmonica rendition of Bring him home.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back