LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
My current Samsung is starting to play up. So it's time to replace.

I'm looking for another Samsung, preferably with dual sim and e sim.

Looking at website, there is a bewildering number of options.
I'm looking at a budget MAX of say £800.

Suggestions.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I have survived on Samsung for both work and play
List your requirements
Then do a comparison of the phones on line to see which you want
Then do the search around tesco.asda, argos curry's to see who does the cheapest to buy out right
I'm on an A12 presently and does everything I need photos, videos, WhatsApp, teams,
And best of all phone calls

Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Newbie, former van camper and still wild camper
I like the look of the Samsung X cover 6 it's a rugged phone so hardy and tough but still has some good specs. A few years ago I considered a Samsung but went for a Nokia xr20 which is now a XR21, I'm very happy with it and it's almost left my tablet redundant.

May 10, 2023
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2002
I bought a Samsung A54 256 Gb in early May, soon after it was launched. It has dual SIM card slots, essential for our European touring, plus eSIM. It has many of the features of the S23 but at half the price. Camera is good enough for my purpose. I believe something like 3 future Android upgrades are included. Over three months, including 6 weeks in France, it has performed well with no issues. It's worth considering.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Oppo very similar in budget range to a Xiaomi phone. Get the larger memory to start with then add an SD card and I doubt the average user of a phone could tell the difference with one of those 800 pound things.

Thats a lot of wine that could be purchased

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Why pay £800......
Mine makes calls, send text, download endless apps, 50 MP camera, Torch, android 13, twin sim + micro SD and 128gb internal STORAGE, 6.5" Screen.
What more do you need for £130.
MOTOROLA MOTO G13

Oct 18, 2021
Northampton, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Apache 700
Exp
Some....good & bad!
Why pay £800......
Mine makes calls, send text, download endless apps, 50 MP camera, Torch, android 13, twin sim + micro SD and 128gb internal STORAGE, 6.5" Screen.
What more do you need for £130.
MOTOROLA MOTO G13
Cautionary tale with a Motorola. I took mine out in very light drizzle to check maps for about 30 seconds. Instantly fried with water damage. Never touched the brand again.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I have a Z Flip 4. It's the best phone I've owned by a considerable margin. The ability to fold transforms convenience.
£1049.00 for the z flip 5 on preorder until today .:eek:

Aug 13, 2022
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Sussex
Can't see anything wrong with my phone 🤣
download.jpeg-1.jpg

Apr 7, 2022
34390 Saint-Étienne-d'Albagnan, France
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
Both SWMBO and I have A40's. Duel sim and you can put a 128gb data card in it. Only 4G but as we spens most of our time in the countryside in either the UK, France of Spain 5G does not matter.
I had an A40, nice phone, unfortunately it started playing up a bit, bought an ex demo as new A40 on uk ebay for £85.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
i have had my samsung A40 for nearly 4 years . Still ok. Problem for me with newer ones is the increased size of them which I don't like.
As to what can you do with them I have a spanish acquaintance ,lives in monaco who uses his top of the range samsung for business. I find it amazing that he can write emails in spanish ,english ,french. portugese, german with a little wand thing & that the phone can decipher the scrawl perfectly that he writes ? he doesn't appear to have to chamge the language manually either ,although if I did ask & he told me ,I have forgotten.

Apr 7, 2022
34390 Saint-Étienne-d'Albagnan, France
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
i have had my samsung A40 for nearly 4 years . Still ok. Problem for me with newer ones is the increased size of them which I don't like.
As to what can you do with them I have a spanish acquaintance ,lives in monaco who uses his top of the range samsung for business. I find it amazing that he can write emails in spanish ,english ,french. portugese, german with a little wand thing & that the phone can decipher the scrawl perfectly that he writes ? he doesn't appear to have to chamge the language manually either ,although if I did ask & he told me ,I have forgotten.
My Original A40 works 100% fine when it works, then it switches itself off, 99% of the time I can restart it with no problem, sometimes it doesn't respond at all, so I hit it hard against my leg a couple of times, and it will restart without problem, so I am guessing a loose connection, possibly battery connection.

But to get inside you have to get a heat gun on them to release the glue around the screen, to be able to take it apart (I have done that before with an iPad it is not as drastic as it sounds), even the boards are pretty cheap from Ali express, I think when I looked it was about 20€ for the board with the power connector, and about 35€ for the main processor board, maybe one day when I have some time (lol) I might get around to trying to fix it.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
My Original A40 works 100% fine when it works, then it switches itself off, 99% of the time I can restart it with no problem, sometimes it doesn't respond at all,
I have occasionally been getting "sd card removed incorrectly restart phone" which it hasn't been but always restarts. I took it that it stemmed from a few months back when we were inserting/removing sim cards 00's of times when attempting to make the Internet work.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back