Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 3, 2019
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Boxer PVC
Exp
Since 2014
My front brake warning light keeps coming on but the pads front and back are ok. Is there a link between the hydraulic system and the warning light??
or is it an electrical problem??

OP
OP
Steve Gray
Mar 3, 2019
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Boxer PVC
Exp
Since 2014
Not sure on boxer (and I have 1)but on many vehicles fluid level lights dash warning as does applying hand brake often but not always only one shared light
Cheers oldies
Red light in triangle only comes on with the handbrake on. It's the circular orange front brake warning light that keeps coming on when the brakes are pumped but goes off when you turn the engine off???
Steve

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
That should be the wear limit warning for your front brake pads, ours come on on the way back from Portugal a few weeks back and our front pads were down to a couple of mm by the time were reached home.

OP
OP
Steve Gray
Mar 3, 2019
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Boxer PVC
Exp
Since 2014
That should be the wear limit warning for your front brake pads, ours come on on the way back from Portugal a few weeks back and our front pads were down to a couple of mm by the time were reached home.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Steve Gray
Mar 3, 2019
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Boxer PVC
Exp
Since 2014
Cheers Two. Lights on but pads and sensor cables are good, it's a mystery and it's driving me nuts!!

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
As has been said above you need to thoroughly check out the wear indicator cables and where they plug into the harness.
It certainly sounds as if there is something earthing the indicator when you press the pedal.

OP
OP
Steve Gray
Mar 3, 2019
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Boxer PVC
Exp
Since 2014
No, sensor cables are all good with no earthing problems?? Not sure what to try next?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Just to be clear, it’s happening when you depress the brake pedal?

I would disconnect the wear indicators at the point they plug in to the harness just to eliminate them as the problem.

As it’s only happening when the brake pedal is applied then the common denominator is the brake pedal movement;
If it’s still happening you need to start looking at the brake pedal switch and any electrical connection to the master cylinder.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
The brake warning light also comes on for low brake fluid levels
Nice one Richard, Which may account for it briefly coming on when the brake pedal is pressed.
Even if the level is correct perhaps the level sensor is in need of adjustment/ repair.

OP
OP
Steve Gray
Mar 3, 2019
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Boxer PVC
Exp
Since 2014
Just to be clear, it’s happening when you depress the brake pedal?

I would disconnect the wear indicators at the point they plug in to the harness just to eliminate them as the problem.

As it’s only happening when the brake pedal is applied then the common denominator is the brake pedal movement;
If it’s still happening you need to start looking at the brake pedal switch and any electrical connection to the master cylinder.

OP
OP
Steve Gray
Mar 3, 2019
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Boxer PVC
Exp
Since 2014
Yep, done that (separate the sensor connectors that is) and it still comes on!! I'm very close to taking it down to the garage (expensive option!!) 🤔

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
The brake warning light also comes on for low brake fluid levels

It's a different indication for the low brake fluid level on our Boxer.

1715804156674.png

The one the OP is referring to is the front pad wear indicator.

1715804219099.png

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
It's a different indication for the low brake fluid level on our Boxer. The one the OP is referring to is the front pad wear indicator.

It’s the use of the brake pedal that pushes thinking directly to the ware indicator circuit. But if the ware indicator is disconnected and it still happens then it must be related to pedal movement,
When a ware indicator is worn down it’s on permanently until it is replaced.

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
On Iveco I had something odd with disk wear left pad looking ok until removed then discs on both fronts had worn a grove into wear indicators can't remember detail ,but disconnecting wire worth a try

OP
OP
Steve Gray
Mar 3, 2019
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Boxer PVC
Exp
Since 2014
It’s the use of the brake pedal that pushes thinking directly to the ware indicator circuit. But if the ware indicator is disconnected and it still happens then it must be related to pedal movement,
When a ware indicator is worn down it’s on permanently until it is replaced.
I haven't investigated any brake pedal movement yet, that is indeed a good area to investigate.....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back