Payload confusion (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Can anyone help with my confusion please.
This is the plated information on our motorhome inside the engine bay.
What do these 4 figures actually mean, and can I work out my payload from them as a rule of thumb.
Thanks.
2019-12-27 14.39.36.jpg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That is the Fiat plate so not relavant to Motorhome it is the converts plate that counts. You need to find the converters plate.

But this is what it means.

3200kg MAM the max you can weigh used to be called Gross weight.
4800kg is the Train weight, the max total with a trailer.
1690kg Max on front axle.
1750kg Max on rear axle.

Upvote 1
Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
Phone CI with VIN No. and ask them where the plate is and/or what numbers they put on it.

But since being constructed there may have been additions such as awning, satellite dish, solar panel, heavier battery(s) etc which would all reduce the actual payload. Only true way would be to have it weighed.

Upvote 1
Jan 19, 2020
Paisley
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 75fl
Exp
Since 2007
My Hobby has 4 plates the Fiat manufacturers plate for the Chassis cab, the Alko plate, the converter Hobby plate and finally a chartered motor engineers uplate.
And the V5 was a shambles
It had 2axel when it was 3 (tag axel)
No engine number, weight wrong. All rectified when I up-plated it.
There are loads of tags registered incorrectly as 2axels, out of 10 random advertisements 8 were still reg as 2 axel’s.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 1

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Can anyone help with my confusion please.
Hi Iain, it's exactly as Lenny HB's advice. (y)

The converters plate may be on the bonnet slam panel close to the Fiat plate, or inside the cab, often seen stuck to the seat base, as you open either of the cab doors. On an A Class, it can be on a lower external body skirt, or just inside the habitation door, pending make and model.

Good luck finding it. (y)

Jock. :)

Upvote 0
May 19, 2018
Funster No
Whichever plate is in effect on the vehicle, the only way to work out your payload is to visit a weighbridge while empty and get the weight.
Then subtract that figure from the gross weight (MAM). What remains will be your maximum payload.

It's impossible to guess the payload from the plate. Note that the axle weights add up to more than the gross weight, they are the maximum allowed, not something to aim for.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Thanks so far to the replies.
I have tried, and tried and tried to find a converters plate and have had no success whatsoever having turned the van almost inside out.
Not sure if in 2001 such things were so rigidly applied by Ci which is when our van was built.
I am looking to put the van up for sale and want to give as accurately a description and relevant weight levels etc as possible.
So.........basically then, get total van weighed EMPTY, then subtract that figure from MAM weight( gross weight) of 3200kg to give the payload available, with a MAXIMUM load on the FRONT axle of 1690kg, And REAR axle of 1750kg?.
I seem to recall that when I first joined the forum I THOUGHT I had this sussed around 2018 ish, but now I am not at all convinced, so will start again.
Thankfully though, on our trips of the last 6 years we have travelled extremely light without much water to start but almost full fuel and limited food and chattels, and people, so am fairly convinced we were within any limits.
But we shall see.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Note that the axle weights add up to more than the gross weight, they are the maximum allowed
But not at the same time.
They allow for a heavier load on one axle up to the axle limit at the expense of the other axle (deduct weight from other axle if gross weight is reached)

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Bearing in mind everything that has been said, the only figure you can say is what it is legally on the road at, that is the revenue weight on the V5 (log book), that at least will tell any potential purchaser where they stand and the excise duty.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks so far to the replies.
I have tried, and tried and tried to find a converters plate and have had no success whatsoever having turned the van almost inside out.
Not sure if in 2001 such things were so rigidly applied by Ci which is when our van was built.
I am looking to put the van up for sale and want to give as accurately a description and relevant weight levels etc as possible.
So.........basically then, get total van weighed EMPTY, then subtract that figure from MAM weight( gross weight) of 3200kg to give the payload available, with a MAXIMUM load on the FRONT axle of 1690kg, And REAR axle of 1750kg?.
I seem to recall that when I first joined the forum I THOUGHT I had this sussed around 2018 ish, but now I am not at all convinced, so will start again.
Thankfully though, on our trips of the last 6 years we have travelled extremely light without much water to start but almost full fuel and limited food and chattels, and people, so am fairly convinced we were within any limits.
But we shall see.

Phone CI with VIN No. and ask them where the plate is and/or what numbers they put on it.

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
That is the Fiat plate so not relavant to Motorhome it is the converts plate that counts. You need to find the converters plate.

But this is what it means.

3200kg MAM the max you can weigh used to be called Gross weight.
4800kg is the Train weight, the max total with a trailer.
1690kg Max on front axle.
1750kg Max on rear axle.
Why don't the convertors remove the vehicle plate after conversion or replace it with the conversion weights. Is there a legal requirement to keep the original manufacturers plate as it will never be that weight again.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Bearing in mind everything that has been said, the only figure you can say is what it is legally on the road at, that is the revenue weight on the V5 (log book), that at least will tell any potential purchaser where they stand and the excise duty.
V5 has no revenue weight stated.
But does state 'Motor Caravan' and thus is taxed accordingly at £300+ od per year.
Mot is class 4.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
I believe they do have phones in Italy and people who speak English ;), although they may not have records from 20+ years ago. Worth a try though - now't to lose, eh?
No, nothing to loose at all.
Just got to find who exactly to phone and where, ie who now would be the ownership group.
Think the easiest is empty van, weigh it unladen with only known water on board at 1kg per ltr and roughly the same for diesel, then do the maths.
Needs to stop raining first though otherwise will get soaked.

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
For the record my Swift plate is attached to the slam panel next to the manufacturers plate.

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Why don't the convertors remove the vehicle plate after conversion or replace it with the conversion weights. Is there a legal requirement to keep the original manufacturers plate as it will never be that weight again.
If it’s legal that is so obvious the thing to do so there is no confusion for the lifetime of the MH , so why the hell don’t they do it.
I personally have no knowledge of this but stand to be educated, the confusion caused if correct is illogical.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
You need to see what MAM is on the V5
According to the reply from Lenny HB to my photograph of the manufacturers Plate, the MAM is 3200kg, but this is not printed on the V5 , which also has a lot of other stuff missing from it.
Maybe when registered in 2001 new, they did not fill in all the blanks.
Doesn't even have specified number of seats.
I really don't know.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
You need to see what MAM is on the V5
According to the reply from Lenny HB to my photograph of the manufacturers Plate, the MAM is 3200kg, but this is not printed on the V5 , which also has a lot of other stuff missing from it.
Maybe when registered in 2001 new, they did not fill in all the blanks.
Doesn't even have specified number of seats
I really don't know.

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
You could weigh it in holiday mode and then you can tell prospective buyers that weight and compare it to the 3200kg on the base plate (if you cant find the converters one) So they (and you) will know what payload is available.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back