Parking your motorhome at supermarkets when shopping - fines,? (1 Viewer)

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I received a 'fine' from Horizon parking who manage the parking at our local Tesco. I wasn't in the motorhome at the time but it just got me thinking about parking the motorhome there as I often do this on trips.

Basically I was 'fined' for 'not parking within a marked bay.' on this occasion my excuse was there are some barriers up so the marked bays are not long enough for safe parking. Me and several others parked longways across the bays instead. I went back and people were still doing this (no temporary signs saying not to). Horizon making a mint out of Tesco customers in this particular situation then.

Anyway, on a more general note - anyone been 'fined' in a supermarket for parking a motorhome a across 2 or more bays?

Would be interested in any thoughts about how to approach this particular situation too!

IMG_20240411_124633.jpg

Today...

IMG_20240411_120851.jpg

OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I would speak to the store manager showing the photo BUT the carpark doesn't look very full to me so you had the option to park elsewhere.

the first photo is me. I don't see how you can tell the fullness of the car park from that.

the second photo is another car parked there today when I went in. Yes that section with the barriers is empty bar one car. However, again you cannot see the rest of the carpark.

OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Yup.Empty car Park.With your other mitigation, get them to prove a material loss to themselves and copy in Tesco Head office
How on earth do you deduce that??? the red car is me - you cannot see the rest of the car park!

The other photo is a random member of the public today when I went back to look. Again you can only see the restricted places with the red barriers in the way.

OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Anyway, my particular issue aside- the main question is, could they, has anyone had an issue with motorhome parking in Tesco/Sainsburys etc. They clearly state on the sign you must park in a marked bay and that is impossible in most motorhomes.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
No, never had any issues at Tesco carparks... use them all the time with 7mtr PVC so can fit sideways but need to overhang the rear...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
Im currently in a battle with my old property where I had parking for 30 years ,,, but new parking company CPM taken on against all residents wishes by Management put 5 tickets on my car when it was parked in MY Bay with MY permit on ,,, and 2 years later they are still demanding money with threats of Bailiffs , court etc ... i contacted building managers and they dont give a toss ,,, so I told CPM to go and see me in court ,,, they are being very aggresive but foolish as they dont have a leg to stand on ,, i had permit , I was in my bay and they have sent so may letters and threats that its now officially classed as harassment in law..

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Im currently in a battle with my old property where I had parking for 30 years ,,, but new parking company CPM taken on against all residents wishes by Management put 5 tickets on my car when it was parked in MY Bay with MY permit on ,,, and 2 years later they are still demanding money with threats of Bailiffs , court etc ... i contacted building managers and they dont give a toss ,,, so I told CPM to go and see me in court ,,, they are being very aggresive but foolish as they dont have a leg to stand on ,, i had permit , I was in my bay and they have sent so may letters and threats that its now officially classed as harassment in law..
Makes you wonder why they are doing this.. is it only you or other residents as well?
Is it, maybe that they made an initial mistake and are too ba'heeded to admit it and back down. or just thugs....
I feel for you!!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I received a 'fine' from Horizon parking who manage the parking at our local Tesco. I wasn't in the motorhome at the time but it just got me thinking about parking the motorhome there as I often do this on trips.

Basically I was 'fined' for 'not parking within a marked bay.' on this occasion my excuse was there are some barriers up so the marked bays are not long enough for safe parking. Me and several others parked longways across the bays instead. I went back and people were still doing this (no temporary signs saying not to). Horizon making a mint out of Tesco customers in this particular situation then.

Anyway, on a more general note - anyone been 'fined' in a supermarket for parking a motorhome a across 2 or more bays?

Would be interested in any thoughts about how to approach this particular situation too!

View attachment 884583

Today...

View attachment 884584

I would either ignore it ,but having seen your photos I'd be chomping at the bit to abuse them, so would reply with said photos, remembering always to never identify who was driving,
With
" how does whoever was the driver park correctly in the bay when the barriers that are in place prevent this?
Are you blind people really the stupid ***ts that you make out to be?
Any further harrassment from your goodselves will be charged at the rate of XXX for each & every hour /part hour ,email letter, phone call ,etc ; (+ vat if you are registered) failure to pay within 7 days will result in a small claims court action. Now **** off & annoy someone else."

Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
Makes you wonder why they are doing this.. is it only you or other residents as well?
Is it, maybe that they made an initial mistake and are too ba'heeded to admit it and back down. or just thugs....
I feel for you!!
Other owners of flats and houses having same problems but only since CPM were given a contract by the management ,,,,there was a consultation and vote but some how no homeowners were allowed to vote or contribute to the consultation which in itself is illegal ......
if a parking or debt company send out more then 4 letters or communications over a 3 month period , that is considered harassment,,, not only that they never answer phones or acknowledge letters even special delivery , thats frowned upon when it reaches court ,,, these companies are bullies . 2 people have had their cars clamped by CPM which is also illegal , police were called and told CPM its in breach of the contract , they refused to come out immediately , so a couple of us got our angle grinders out ,, it was hilarious .. that was last August ,, i moved out in October ,,to my new house .

Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
If the parking is free why does it matter if you take up more than one space. Any excuse these days to get money out of people.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If the parking is free why does it matter if you take up more than one space. Any excuse these days to get money out of people.
if it's a busy car park, you may be depriving others of a space .. thereby depriving the store of revenue..

car parking spaces in many shopping areas are at a premium .. hence the maximum stay times and rules about parking correctly ..

the penalties are levied to discourage parking violations... they are always clearly signposted so no excuses...

this is a general comment. not one about the OPs fixed penalty notice

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
In unfamiliar supermarkets with signs making it clear that parking enforcement is contracted out to one of those cowboy outfits, we often go to customer service in the shop and get them to say it’s okay. They always do, and we’ve never got a ticket - so haven’t had to test whether the approach actually works!!

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Morrisons have no problems motorhome parking

Tescos hate us you have to park within the box (BTW my Aygo has problems parking in our Tesco Extra car park)

Not sure about Sainsburys as the access is awkward at ours (hairpin Bend)

Lidl just tell the manager we're there and not stopping long

ABROAD
Absolutely no problem anywhere overnighting - and getting fresh bread as soon as they open is wonderful

OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
if it's a busy car park, you may be depriving others of a space .. thereby depriving the store of revenue..

car parking spaces in many shopping areas are at a premium .. hence the maximum stay times and rules about parking correctly ..

the penalties are levied to discourage parking violations... they are always clearly signposted so no excuses...

I'm not sure I have ever parked somewhere where there aren't plenty of spaces. I normally parked as far away from the shop entrance as possible so usually there is lots of space (most people don't like to have to walk). I;m not sure the depriving of revenue is an argument. I reckon most motorhomers on a trip will probably spend quite a bit and it is common to see someone one in a car pop in for a pint of milk!

As fpr sogn posts. In this particuar case the sign post is just near the entrance to the store about 80 metres from where I parked. So certainly could not see it when parking and wouldn't normally be looking when walking through the store entrance.

Anyway - spoke to the store manager. Very sympathetic, says they will mover the barriers more across the spaces and maybe put a sign. sadly says he cannot take any action to stop it himself.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Parking within the lines
I'm not sure I have ever parked somewhere where there aren't plenty of spaces. I normally parked as far away from the shop entrance as possible so usually there is lots of space (most people don't like to have to walk). I;m not sure the depriving of revenue is an argument. I reckon most motorhomers on a trip will probably spend quite a bit and it is common to see someone one in a car pop in for a pint of milk!

As fpr sogn posts. In this particuar case the sign post is just near the entrance to the store about 80 metres from where I parked. So certainly could not see it when parking and wouldn't normally be looking when walking through the store entrance.

Anyway - spoke to the store manager. Very sympathetic, says they will mover the barriers more across the spaces and maybe put a sign. sadly says he cannot take any action to stop it himself.
I did say I wasn't commenting on your post ..

OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
No, never had any issues at Tesco carparks... use them all the time with 7mtr PVC so can fit sideways but need to overhang the rear...

You can fit width ways in most motorhomes in parking spaces but no one will be able to park next to you. Or if they do you/them would not be able to access the vehicle!

OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Parking within the lines

I did say I wasn't commenting on your post ..

Yes - aware of that - just responding anyway. :giggle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back