Oyster Satellite System Problem (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
DangerMousy
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Just to bring this to a close.....seems Anthony OysterTech was spot on that the problem was the TV not the sat system (y) Just had an update from the dealers (where the MH is having some warranty work done) and they've replaced the TV. So we should now have a fully functional satellite system when we pick it up tomorrow :smiley:

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Just to bring this to a close.....seems Anthony OysterTech was spot on that the problem was the TV not the sat system (y) Just had an update from the dealers (where the MH is having some warranty work done) and they've replaced the TV. So we should now have a fully functional satellite system when we pick it up tomorrow :smiley:
Glad you got it sorted DangerMousy

Mar 28, 2023
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Van M
Exp
I had a similar experience with the van we recently purchased. It came with an Oyster system fitted.
I connected my Sky HD box at home and got all my channels. Got to site and nothing. Tried it at home again and it worked fine.
Last Friday pm I got to site, set everything up and called Oyster Sat Tech. They were extremely helpful. Turns out my van has an older system with a single connector and this won't work with a Sky HD box which has two connectors. The guy I spoke to suggested getting a Freesat box.
So how come it worked at home? My conclusion is that the Sky box was still connecting to my wi-fi and not using the Oyster system at all!
Yesterday I bought a Freesat box on Gumtree for £20. I connected it all up last night and it works a treat!
Thank you Oyster Sat Tech. You saved me from buying a Freeview box and aerial I didn't need!

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Maggsy

To be honest I'm not sure who you spoke to here but that doesn't seem right to me.
Firstly the Sky HD box, if it has two input feeds, uses one feed to watch TV and one feed to record so as long as you plug your satellite coax cable into input 1 (on the right as you look at the back of the box) it should work as normal to watch the channels, you just won't be able to record from a different channel.
Secondly the Sky HD box cannot provide the channels via the internet. The Sky box uses the internet for boxsets and on demand services however the live channels are broadcast directly from the satellite only.
The only thing I can think of which would explain the information you were provided by ourselves would be if you were trying to use a Sky Q box. These use a different type of LNB to provide the satellite signals so, although the Oyster can be used with a Q system, it would need a considerable upgrade in order to provide the wideband signal required by the Q box.

I hope this information helps but should you wish to talk about this in more detail then please give me a call in the office on 01858575928

Mar 28, 2023
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Van M
Exp
Hi Maggsy

To be honest I'm not sure who you spoke to here but that doesn't seem right to me.
Firstly the Sky HD box, if it has two input feeds, uses one feed to watch TV and one feed to record so as long as you plug your satellite coax cable into input 1 (on the right as you look at the back of the box) it should work as normal to watch the channels, you just won't be able to record from a different channel.
Secondly the Sky HD box cannot provide the channels via the internet. The Sky box uses the internet for boxsets and on demand services however the live channels are broadcast directly from the satellite only.
The only thing I can think of which would explain the information you were provided by ourselves would be if you were trying to use a Sky Q box. These use a different type of LNB to provide the satellite signals so, although the Oyster can be used with a Q system, it would need a considerable upgrade in order to provide the wideband signal required by the Q box.

I hope this information helps but should you wish to talk about this in more detail then please give me a call in the office on 01858575928
Oh OK.
Definitely an HD box.
Anyway, my little £20 Freesat box stays in the van and means I don't have to disconnect and bring a bulky Sky box from home. Maybe I used channel 1 one time and channel 2 the other.
Thanks for your advice though Anthony.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 5, 2022
Kidsgrove, North Staffordshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
Hello Antony Oyster Tech

I have an issue with our satellite system. I was trying to install a firmware update which seems to have switched the box off (screen blank after a few seconds) and a message when the sd card is inserted says card not formatted or invalid file system. Below are photos of the box and the file system I am trying to install.
20231004_131911.jpg
20231004_130848.jpg
20231004_130817.jpg
20231004_130938.jpg
20231004_130836.jpg

Last edited:

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Good afternoon Verteuil Man

The problem is most likely due to your unit's age. The early control units on the Vision III systems will only take an SD card that is 512mb maximum. I'm afraid I don't know why this is but we've had multiple instances of this over the years. Alternatively you can give us a call in the office when you are with the system and either myself or one of one of my colleagues can talk you through updating the transponder settings manually which will have exactly the same affect as the update.

Hope this helps and thanks Speve for the tag. On the case as always! (y)

May 5, 2022
Kidsgrove, North Staffordshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992

The problem is most likely due to your unit's age. The early control units on the Vision III systems will only take an SD card that is 512mb maximum. I'm afraid I don't know why this is but we've had multiple instances of this over the years. Alternatively you can give us a call in the office when you are with the system and either myself or one of one of my colleagues can talk you through updating the transponder settings manually which will have exactly the same affect as the update.

That will be the problem. My sd card is 32gb. I will pm you for the telephone number.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp

Just for the record, you are blooming awesome and so many of us owe so much to your knowledge and wisdom, we’d all be lost without your dedication.

Big hugs from me on behalf of all Funsters ☺️😀👍🏻

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
I have just read this thread with great interest, I have an Oyster Autoscew which has been faultless . I use an LG smart tv which also is fine until yesterday. Today I was getting the No signal message. Dish is locking on fine, but yesterday and today I used the LG power lead which had an inline Dropper to reduce the voltage. Andy explained that there might be a lack of volts to power the l’b from the tv? I changed the power lead to a 12 volt from the MH. Hey presto it’s all ok again. How strange!
Thanks Andy. For your knowledge input. You

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back