Oyster 5 satellite problem (1 Viewer)

Oct 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Hello, we splashed out on an Oyster 5 to get TV abroad expecting it to be foolproof (we are totally non technical). We are in Spain near Gandia using a Carthago Alphatronics tv. The dish seems to lock on to Astra 2 (pressed the tick when it comes up as told) but tv seems to be totally scrambled - one of us has messed it up, not saying who! Just into a 9 week holiday so would like to sort it. Any ideas please?

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
There are some channels on Astra 2 even in Spain
However most are transmitted on SKY tv platform which are encrypted unless you have an appropriate SKY receiver and viewing card
If your dish is locked on to Astra 2 it will be receiving the Pan European beam .
You will be able to watch SKY news
Challenge TV , NHK world , Pick TV , HGV TV , CNN , Bloomberg and a few others

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Sounds as though it’s working fine its just that you're outside its working footprint.

Ian

Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
4 berth coachbuilt
You will be able to watch SKY news
That would be my suggestion for the best channel to try. (good signal, good footprint and no encrptiption)

Alphatronics tv. - one of us has messed it up
Easily done.
There is an option to tell the Alphatroncics which satellite it is supposed to be viewing.
With that set wrong the TV won't work.

If need be, I can look at ours to tell you where to find the setting.

Having said that, Gandia is a long way south of the Astra 2 footprint.
although we did have our Oyster working (with Sky News, but not much else) in Rome, Italy. Which is almost as far.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Astra @ 28east covers that part of Spain just fine if an 85cm dish but as advised you won't get the Northern beam with BBC etc on. We have used ours in Xabia no problem at all and got Sky News, Cnn and quite a few more off 28 East without issue.
Depending on the age of your Alphatronics TV you may need to manually put some transponders in at they changed not that long ago.
"Free" Sky News is now on.
12070 Horizontal
27500 symbol rate.

To watch BBC etc is more complicated but it can be done and info is available with a quick search.

Mar 9, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Dakota ’14
Exp
We are south of Almeria now and can get Sky News but nothing else worth watching (unless you like 60’s, 70’s,80’s music). You may need to retune the TV receiver yto get the available channels.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
My 80cm dish near Gandia, get no BBCHD (no SD which closed earlier this year) or ITVHD or C4HD or C5s. It just about gets the ITVSDs and C4 SD..like right on the limit, even a tough of the dish and they go, not stable at all.
As these are all on the UK beam of the satellites.

A bit slightly north, and slightly inland, like towards Xativa, it gets a little bit stronger, but still not stable.

It has no trouble with those channels on the European beam, which is a lot of the Sky pay channels, and lots of the free "cheapo" channels.

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Hello, we splashed out on an Oyster 5 to get TV abroad expecting it to be foolproof (we are totally non technical). We are in Spain near Gandia using a Carthago Alphatronics tv. The dish seems to lock on to Astra 2 (pressed the tick when it comes up as told) but tv seems to be totally scrambled - one of us has messed it up, not saying who! Just into a 9 week holiday so would like to sort it. Any ideas please?
Ozz21 apologies for the late reply. Currently I'm finding it difficult to get away from the workshop so not online as often as I should be. There are multiple reasons for you not receiving the transmissions in that area of Spain as many have already stated but the only way I can be sure of things would be to go through everything on the phone. We're done for the evening now but we're in tomorrow from 8:30am so if you are still needing assistance with everything either myself or my colleague Pat will happily talk you through what's available where to help give you a bit more of an understanding about the system and it's capabilities.

Again, my apologies for the lateness of my post but we're always on hand in the office should you need any help. The office number is 01858575928 and also if you need assistance out of office hours you can send me a private message through our facebook page, just go to https://www.facebook.com/oyster.satellite

Jan 4, 2017
beds
Funster No
MH
burstner
Exp
Ozz21 apologies for the late reply. Currently I'm finding it difficult to get away from the workshop so not online as often as I should be. There are multiple reasons for you not receiving the transmissions in that area of Spain as many have already stated but the only way I can be sure of things would be to go through everything on the phone. We're done for the evening now but we're in tomorrow from 8:30am so if you are still needing assistance with everything either myself or my colleague Pat will happily talk you through what's available where to help give you a bit more of an understanding about the system and it's capabilities.

Again, my apologies for the lateness of my post but we're always on hand in the office should you need any help. The office number is 01858575928 and also if you need assistance out of office hours you can send me a private message through our facebook page, just go to https://www.facebook.com/oyster.satellite
wouldn't it be great if all companies had the back up like OysterTech.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back