Outer Hebrides - Any tips? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat
We're planning a bit of a drive later in the year - taking in the north, Hadrian's Wall and then wandering up into bonnie Scotland.

The Outer Hebrides is taking my eye and we fancy getting over there. Any tips from those who know the islands?

It looks like the ferry from Uist will be about £55 each way for 6m van plus 2 ppl. MHs banned from the standby queues!

I visited VisitOuterHebrides.co.uk and was a bit disappointed that the video wasn't much more than a lecture on what you shouldn't do. Just to be clear, we would plan to 'leave no trace'. Effectively, they say 'Don't come unless you have accommodation booked'. Then their providers advertise £5 a night stop-overs that cannot be booked. Spot the contradiction.

We would prefer to do what we do in the rest of the UK - 2 or 3 nights off-grid (including £5 stop-over sites) and a night on a 'proper' site to empty waste, do washing, etc. Also, I'd rather not book more than a week or so in advance - so we're not tied down to a schedule. That's really the whole point of the trip.

Can we do that on the islands? Or is there some weird blocker that makes off-grid impossible?

Any advice from experienced visitors very welcome!

Cheers,
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
We went with one campsite booked and spent the rest of the time going from the little one night sites in school yards etc. Was unforgettable and wonderful, shouldn't be an issue in September but it can be busy so maybe pre book at least one site. We were a small [but perfectly formed ] party with 3 motorhomes - had a stunningly happy time . Enjoy

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2022
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Possl 2 win
Exp
40 years
Wouldn’t recommend wilding as there are signs everywhere saying no campers no overnighting everywhere! Crofts do have signs, if you’re welcome, saying phone this number and it’s £20/night to park! Mind you some of the views are worth that, but I am biased😁

Upvote 0

Kelsae2

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2011
kelso,scottish borders
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
We have recently come back from 3 weeks in the Hebrides. Just Harris and the bottom end of Lewis this time. You do not need to pre book sites any more. A lot of the information in the Outerhebrides website is out of date and did apply during covid times.
Your plan to do 3 or 4 nights off grid then book into a site for a night or 2 is what we do. Some of the sites will need booked a few days ahead, but that just depends which ones you need and which area you will be in. There are plenty beach areas you can off grid on usually with a donation box for payment.
If you need further info, let me know. I might be able to point you in some directions.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
Andrew Ditton’s channel on YouTube

Ex-caravan/motorhome journalist who lived on North Uist for a while and has a load of MARVELLOUS videos including a “How to Hebrides” series. Worth watching just for the jaw dropping scenery (and Dougal and Ted 🐶 )

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 9, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
When we went over (2019), there was no LPG on the islands.
Depending on your capacity and usage this might be a limiting factor for you unless things have changed. (We have a refillable, plumbed-in system)
Also, a number of the islanders are deeply religious so there may be some closures on a Sunday.

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
It looks like the ferry from Uist will be about £55 each way for 6m van plus 2 ppl. MHs banned from the standby queues!
Calmac are operating limited capacity service on aged ferries, which fairly regularly break down. Hence why motorhomes / caravans aren't permitted in the standby queues.
I'd advise registering an account with Calmac, and booking via your account. At the very least you'll get text / email updates if / when your crossing is delayed / cancelled.

Upvote 0
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Just go for it, when we bought our first proper motorhome in June 2021, instead of a one nighter locally we did Barra, north and south uists and only stayed on a campsite literally one night. Posted on here about it .. https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/scotland-shakedown-trip.243556/

There's a CDP at the ferry point at Lochmaddy on N. Uist, I also remember theres a CDP and fresh and grey water at the Ferry point at Eriskay too. Also there's a fresh water tap and a cdp about half way between the two at lochboisdale.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2011
Broadway
Funster No
MH
Aclass
Exp
since 2009
We went last April and it was a lovely place. As someone else stated there is no lpg, at least not for the Gaslow system. Excellent beaches almost Caribbean with pure white sand but very cold and walking on the beach in a ski jacket was a new experience. I would certainly visit again.

Upvote 0
May 3, 2023
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Accent
We go in June for a 10 day trip with about 5 on Harris & Lewis. Have booked a night at Eilean Fraioch but the rest will be parkups. Meandering through the Trossachs and onto Skye before ferry (pre booked) from Uig.

Upvote 0

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
The Reds and Motorhome Matt you tube have both done Hebrides vlogs in the last week or so. Might be worth a look.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2022
Castle Bromwich, Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Started self build December 2020, finished April 2022
Went last may, stuning place. Must do's NAMARA fish mongers and cafe, best lobster we have ever tasted from the fishmongers and they have a cafe opposite that serves scallop and bacon rolls, lovely.

We also did a RIB trip via seatrek which was very memorable, visited and abandoned island and jumped some huge swell, fantastic watching the eagles soaring over the unoccupied Islands , highly recommended.

Park up, we stayed on a campsite for 3 nights the rest was wild camping, no problems at all.

20230530_174454.jpg

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I would recommend making sure you stop at Barra, go see the plane land on the beach , and then drive on to Vatersay and visit Vatersay beach. If you are lucky you might even hear the ceilidh band the Vatersay boys who often play in the local pub.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
Apr 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat
When we went over (2019), there was no LPG on the islands.
Depending on your capacity and usage this might be a limiting factor for you unless things have changed. (We have a refillable, plumbed-in system)
Also, a number of the islanders are deeply religious so there may be some closures on a Sunday.
Good point - we're on LPG so we'll have to top up before we go. It should last a couple of weeks or so. And we can extend that a bit by going electric for a few nights.
I'm not religious but I do like the idea of Keeping Sunday Special...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
Apr 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Thanks everyone, loads of great tips and pointers... there's a plane landing on a beach!? That's not what I was expecting but yeah, that's now on the list :)

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Thanks everyone, loads of great tips and pointers... there's a plane landing on a beach!? That's not what I was expecting but yeah, that's now on the list :)
It's a scheduled service (check times as already said) and one of the very few that do beack landings.

On my bucket list.............

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Don’t forget to visit and stay on the aire at Luskentyre beach, it is a stunning location.
If you like fish then you should visit Namara marine supplies and seafood cafe at Kallin harbour at Grimsay, Nth. Uist. You may also be able to take a boat trip to sea the Sea Eagles on nest or fishing from the same harbour. The cafe used to do 1/2 lobster chips and peas £12.50 but I suspect it has gone up now!

Upvote 0

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
The west side of Lewis has some interesting archeology sites.
Google these:

The Whalebone Arch. OK not really archeology but sets you off on the right road.

The Viking Mill. Half a mile walk, take a torch and a pen.

The Black Houses.

Dun Carloway Broch.

The Calanais Standing Stones, a good coffee shop there so worth going there last.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
Apr 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat
The west side of Lewis has some interesting archeology sites.
Google these:

The Whalebone Arch. OK not really archeology but sets you off on the right road.

The Viking Mill. Half a mile walk, take a torch and a pen.

The Black Houses.

Dun Carloway Broch.

The Calanais Standing Stones, a good coffee shop there so worth going there last.
This sound AMAZING!
Right up our street - the other half loves standing stones!

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1995 + 20Yrs a 'Tugger' first.
I would recommend making sure you stop at Barra, go see the plane land on the beach , and then drive on to Vatersay and visit Vatersay beach. If you are lucky you might even hear the ceilidh band the Vatersay boys who often play in the local pub.
I agree, the southern islands are much interesting than Lewis and Uist. BTW We met at a road junction and couldn't understand what you were waving at - it was the Funster sticker in our windscreen!

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
We did 4 weeks in 2019, spending 5 nights at camp sites (3 of those were to allow me to repair minor damage). We traveled from Barra to Butt of Lewis, leaving via Stornaway to Ullapool.
I think we overnighted at every ferry terminal and really liked Leverburgh, where we stayed for a couple of days. One of our favourite spots was the Bridge to Nowhere.

My wife says it’s the best holiday she has had 🙂

Enjoy - Gordon

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back