Old ghost (woohh ha ha) I mean Geist - actually LMC - restoration question (1 Viewer)

Feb 6, 2019
Santa Maria de Palautordera, Barcelona, Spain
Funster No
MH
LMC Liberty 560 1992
Exp
Since 2017
Hello all: am the (struggling) owner of a 1992 LMC Liberty 560, Polish import to Spain, very original, very basic model which I'm trying to fix.

I have over cab bedroom accident damage and water ingress to sort. The van had had a frontal tip at some stage before I had it and then I hit the front offside corner of the over-cab off a branch of a (far too) low hanging tree.

My accident broke up the original repair which had been highly ineffective and reveals extensive front corner damage, plus the knock on of nearside seal breakage and water ingress to the bottom end of my overhead bed area. I probably need to repiace a crazed front above window but until it leaks I won't.

Van has very old fashioned alu-wood caravan construction using external window frame - no fibre glass or plastic that I can see.

Advice I'm seeking (from anyone who has been mad enough to undertake similar) is - what did you do that I should not?!

I'm on a shoestring but bought my sealant and my gun from a local shop. Everything else - framing timber, 3mm ply and polystyrene, is sourced from bins and dumps. I even have a 5mm-card tube from a friend to replicate the internal curve at the front. Plan is to cut out the damaged timbers, replace & seal&screw them internally, then seal & screw-up,externally and repanel internally.

I have half an idea to add a modification that exploits the eyesore of unrepairably cracked/bent seam extrusion in the front corner. I thought of rearranging the front corner to act as a ram air vent, channelling to the main habitation area for use while driving - with the aim of calming complaints from sweltering passengers - there is no air con - this is old school!!

It's do this mod or forever wish for a drive to Germany/Poland to get a full side extrusion molding from an equivalent scrapper!!! These vans are that rare here!
Anyway, your thoughts please!

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
How about getting a sheet of aluminium and bonding it over the front and maybe even doing away with the window that being your next problem. šŸ˜ Bob.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
How about some pics?

Why not it's not going to cost you much.

I'd use tannalised timber to give it some protection.

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
Timber thickness is crucial. You could do worse than look at YouTube. Search for Paul Glover Talbot. He has a lot of videos but you could pick out the ones that are relevant to your issues.
Keep us posted

OP
OP
P
Feb 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
LMC Liberty 560 1992
Exp
Since 2017
Timber thickness is crucial. You could do worse than look at YouTube. Search for Paul Glover Talbot. He has a lot of videos but you could pick out the ones that are relevant to your issues.
Keep us posted
Yes! I have been watching Paul Glover and finding his deadpan style remarkably refreshing compared to others!! Was upstairs in the bedroom earlier, hacking away at what was covering up the water damage and - compared to Paul G - I think I might have got away a bit more lightly than he. Thank goodness no fibreglass involved!
I have pix and will post some when I get a few mins. I'm looking at replacing frame to varying degrees on the lower parts of both sides upstairs and a full replacement of the front crossmember, plus some of the front window framing.
I swear to the people who've gone before me that the only reason it's not worse is cos the van's normal parking space since 2017 has been on a slight decline that sees the water drip forward and out rather than back and in!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
Well I think itā€™s good policy to park any van on a slight tilt to stop water pooling on the roof.
Good luck with your repairs

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You said you bought your sealant from a local shop, household sealants are not suitable you need a proper caravan sealant that a allows for expansion of the joints.

OP
OP
P
Feb 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
LMC Liberty 560 1992
Exp
Since 2017
You said you bought your sealant from a local shop, household sealants are not suitable you need a proper caravan sealant that a allows for expansion of the joints.
Point taken! I can't put my hand on it now, but it is a brand I've not seen before sold here in Spain, being assured it would suit. I did look for Sikaflex but was sold this in place of it - not to worry as I can use it elsewhere if it is not suitable.

OP
OP
P
Feb 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
LMC Liberty 560 1992
Exp
Since 2017
How about getting a sheet of aluminium and bonding it over the front and maybe even doing away with the window that being your next problem. šŸ˜ Bob.
I hear you Bob - I'd like to do this but the van's roof runs in a single sheet of aluminum from the chin of the OH cab to over the rear curve of the roof at the back! I'd be worried about integrating that, plus the cost. People who I've seen do it include this guy https://www.doityourselfrv.com/class-c-cab-area/
.... which is great for him, but maybe not the look I was going for!

My front window is crazed on the inside in a couple of places having been head-butted by kids, and it will have to be replaced, but currently it seems to be the most straightforward and simplest thing to reinstall it with surrounding repairs in place with a view to future replacement!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back