Ocknell and Longbeech, New Forest (1 Viewer)

Jul 6, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 1995
If a chilled out site is what you need, these two sites are usually quiet...as in not the first choice for families with children. No electric or showers. Best to be self-contained.
https://www.campingintheforest.co.uk/
Main website for their New Forest sites, part of Camping and Caravanning Club, non-members welcomed.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Setthorns used to be nice but last time we went I was not impressed. Most of the pitches at Pine Tops had caravans permantly sited with junk all around them looked like a travellers camp. Also not that good for bike rides.
Roundhill is nice with loads of space good for bike rides and walks but awful when it's full of kids.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Setthorns used to be nice but last time we went I was not impressed. Most of the pitches at Pine Tops had caravans permantly sited with junk all around them looked like a travellers camp. Also not that good for bike rides.
Roundhill is nice with loads of space good for bike rides and walks but awful when it's full of kids.

What's changed at Setthorns that's changed your opinion of the site and how long ago was your last visit Lenny ?, just wondering what I have let myself in for.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
We tend to use Setthorns over the Xmas period. Probably wouldn't use it other times of the year as it is very shaded and any rain turns it into a mud bath - why do I use it at Xmas :unsure:. Don't really mind the Permanent caravans, but I agree with Lenny HB some do look a mess if they just store them and not used often..:( Cycling is reasonably good as the disused railway goes for miles in each direction and fairly easy run into Brockenhurst or Sway. Roundhill used to be our fav. but spoilt by some "Low life" campers who only see it as a cheap holiday to allow the kids off to run riot and sit by their "4 tent camps" and drink all day and night. Ocknell has now become our fav by far. Like the hard standing areas as it is good parking, not many campers because of the lack of toilet facilities at the far end where the grass is and "own toilet facilities are required". Good walks across the Forest from all sites.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Stayed at Longbeech. Nice pub less than 15 minutes walk through the forest in an easterly direction.

However, after dark, it can be tricky finding one's way back, especially after a few drinks. The 15 minute walk turned into a 2 hour trek via the Rufus Stone and the A31 dual carriageway :ROFLMAO:

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Sethorns is the only site that operates all year round. As said earlier there is a lot of tree coverage so shaded (not really good for your solar panels). It also has some EHU pitches. No toilet blocks, so it's one of the cheapest sites, but you need own facilities. The gravelled roads will get muddy in wet weather, rather easy to tread into your van. The trees do mean most pitches have natural separation, unlike most of the camping int forest sites that are more open fields. But Sethorns is now suffering (was there last in February) that they've allowed too many seasonal pitches, that are now appearing to be little more than storage. These sites used to a have a rule that you'd need to relocate every 21 days, but the state of many shows that was ignored. The main, former rail track cycle path crosses the midst of the site. Nearest pubs is probably Sway village (can get there by forest paths / cycle tracks, and then road), which also has rail station, and an excellent butcher - does great stuff for BBQ. Half the site is open to the forest with animals wandering through, including deer, and the other half is enclosed.

When tenting I preferred Roundhill, of the three main sites that had full toilet and shower facilities. But height of summer was best avoided, just too many people for the facilities., and Roundhill's blocks are actually Portacabin type things that they do move off site (a planning reason) out of season, so they don't really handle the abuse of the punters, despite attention of the staff. Roundhill nice and open site, and is sited on part of one of the largest network of the forest cycling. Couple of miles from Brockenhurst, by road, a bit of a climb on the way back. Open to the forest so lots of ponies and donkeys can be around trying to nab your food.

Holmsley is good in poorer weather as it has concrete hardstandings, left over from WWII when the site was part of an airfield, and large open grass areas. Ground very hard and stony so you need "rock pegs" for any awnings,. EHU available, on site shop (quite well stocked) and take-away, permanent toilet / showers. A big site. Seems a bit distant from anything, and whilst on a cycle route, it's a bit of a ride to get into the better enclosures. Large open areas, good for walking over the open forest areas, and benefits that the site is enclosed so ponies and stuff can't wander through but are immediately outside of the campsite.

Hollands Wood is seen as the flagship site, and has the highest charges. permanent toilet / shower blocks. Outskirts of Brockenhurst, (long walk), with good access onto the one of the larger forest cycle networks that almost links to Lyndhurst as well as across the railway to Roundhill. Some road noise. Open site so you get ponies, but large areas are under tree canopies, so whilst plenty of grass areas for pitches, these are often barren ground.

Ashurst also has permanent toilet showers, a slightly smaller site. Train noise can be an issue and they don't like dogs due to ground nesting birds. Mostly open grass pitches, on a site that does slope away at the rear (pitch areas are failry level). Probably the closest site to a pub and is on a smaller forest cycle network.

I haven't done Ocknell, nor the adjacent Longbeech, both of which you need your own facilities. Ocknell seems a more open site with Longbeech a bit more ribbon in layout and a bit smaller. Looking at the map I wonder if noise from the A31 might be an issue? Both seem to be a long way from anything?
Denny Wood and Matley Wood are close to each other, both sites you need own facilities Nearest town will be Lyndhurst, but that is some distance away, Matley being fractionally closer, but Denny is on the main forest cycle track enclosure linking through to Brockehurst, Roundhill and back to the edge of Lyndhurst. Denny also seemed to be a bit more of an undulating site.
Aldridge Hill is a very open grassed site, no facilities. Will be popular as a reasonable distance from Brockenhurst, good access to a forest cycle enclosure and the Highland Water stream is nearby, very popular with those wanting to paddle around. This site normally has a close down late May/June.

Note for camping in forest sites, only Sethorns and Holmsley have EHU, and that is for only a smaller proportion of pitches. Hardstanding will usually mean firm grass, not a gravelled pitch, but parts of Holmsley and Ocknell have concrete due to old airfield. Some will find that concrete unattractive. As New Forest prohibits wild camping of any type, you are limited to official sites. There are independents, but those seem expensive. Camping in Forest doesn't come cheap, but if you are a C&CC member you can book with more flexibility to change dates. Most sites will be fully booked over bank holidays, and peak summer weekends (also means a quiet escape is out of the question), and although they discourage noisy parties, inevitably there will be someone on the largest sites that will cause problems beyond the 10:30 evening quiet down time.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Agree with comments about Setthorns. I'm surprised the local council/park authority allow so many permanent residents. We sometimes use the premium pitches which aren't bad value for the money and are mostly clear of shade, or Oaken Bottom if the ground is dry.
Also agree about Aldridge Hill for kids. We now take our grandsons to swing on the same tree over the river that our children used to use.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Anyone else remember the Forestry Commission days pre computer, when on Bank Holidays you had to go to a central clearing site in the forest and were allocated a campsite to go to with no or little choice as to which it was?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back