Normandy Sites Recommendations (2 Viewers)

Mar 28, 2019
DERBY
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo
Exp
since 2012
Hi All
Just after any recommendations for a 'nice' site in Normandy. We are taking my 84 years old pops to Normandy to do the D Day beaches and follow part of the itinerary his Dad took during the landings. We are away for 10 days and just become apparent that the weekend that we are there in May turns out to be a bank holiday. It's not convenient to rebook with other commitments so just going to go ahead as planned. Whilst Dad is super fit for his age we don't want to do too much so thought we could use the bank holiday weekend pre book somewhere and have a chill. If anyone can recommend a good quality site that maybe has a nice view, or short walk to maybe a harbour type area, something interesting for an 'old guy' or maybe just somewhere that is really nice just to stay put, read a book and relax. I don't want to waste any time whilst we are away but equally we need to have some recharge time too. We will be heading back to Calais on the Tuesday after the bank holiday for a Wednesday crossing so even somewhere en route would be worth looking at. I've been looking online but you start to loose the will to live !!

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
What about this place in Port En Bessin

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
If you want the D Day beaches there aren't many harbours. We stayed at camping Sandaya at St Aubin sur Mer last June, fairly busy and no views but good facilities and it was fairly central for the beaches and museums and a walk from Juno beach. We were there during the commemorations and it was very special visiting the museums that week, and watching 20 or so bikers rolling out of the campsite with flags on their bikes and bagpipes playing from a ghetto blaster. As it is the 80th this year everywhere will be very busy in June, but as you are going in May it should be quieter for you.

If you want a nice harbour, take a look at Honfleur which is between the beaches and Calais. It has a large aire that is usually busy but our daughter found a campsite last year in walking distance

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Peg Star
Mar 28, 2019
DERBY
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo
Exp
since 2012
If you want the D Day beaches there aren't many harbours. We stayed at camping Sandaya at St Aubin sur Mer last June, fairly busy and no views but good facilities and it was fairly central for the beaches and museums and a walk from Juno beach. We were there during the commemorations and it was very special visiting the museums that week, and watching 20 or so bikers rolling out of the campsite with flags on their bikes and bagpipes playing from a ghetto blaster. As it is the 80th this year everywhere will be very busy in June, but as you are going in May it should be quieter for you.

If you want a nice harbour, take a look at Honfleur which is between the beaches and Calais. It has a large aire that is usually busy but our daughter found a campsite last year in walking distance
Thanks, I'll check out Honfleur. We'll do the D Day beaches, Pegasus Bridge etc during the week, as we arrive on Monday, was just thinking something a bit different over the bank holiday would be good. Didn't really intend booking anything in advance but maybe the bank holiday will necessitate this?? Looking forward to seeing any prep for the 80th anniversary, hopefully the area will start to have a buzz before getting too crowded.

OP
OP
Peg Star
Mar 28, 2019
DERBY
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo
Exp
since 2012
Going to be well booked up I would guess but we have stayed at this one on the beach. https://www.camping-lecormoran.fr/en/campsite-normandy-rental/campground-france/
Some pitches have your own Toilet on the pitch which might suit.
Thanks for this…. Massive déjà vu!! I’m thinking we stayed a night here back in 2014/15 & I’ve been looking for it 🤣, couldn’t remember the name, even looked through my old paperwork as have always keep my receipts enveloped up each year in case we want to go back somewhere (pre internet booking), but typically that one wasn’t there. As soon as I saw ‘Cormoran’ the old grey matter started stirring. I remember the goats 🐐. Looking at the map I think we were further north along coast than I had recalled hence I couldn’t find it. Awww the kiddies were only little then, now they’re all grown up, driving cars not little buggies round campsites ❤️. Sorry I digress - thanks for sharing has made me smile.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
We stayed in Le Crotoy which is in the Baie du Somme. Several campsites there and attractive place.

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
This month's Practical Motorhomer.Did copy and insert but then considered copyrighting.Will PM

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back